What have you done to your truck today? - Page 64 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Rogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to beholdRogue_Wulff is a splendid one to behold
I didn't *actually* do anything to my truck today, but I did go visit a freind/auto shop owner that is *very* familiar with diesel pickups. (He got tired of the 6.blowup PSD in his stupid duty, swapped in a cummins) Anyways, we discussed the finer points of swapping diesels into older F100/F150 trucks.
I was seriously considering a 6.9L IDI/C6 swap into my truck, and he wants to build a bump/dentside shortbed with a cummins 6BT. After hours of discussion (interupted by cussing the nissan moron (our new nickname for the murano) we were changing the fuel pump and O2 sensor on, we came to one main conclusion, and a couple minor ones.
Main conclusion, the frame and king pin I-beams used under 65-81 1/2 tons should be fine for either the ~1000lb 6.9/7.3 or ~1000lb 6BT. Neither are that much heavier than a FE/460, and people swap these engines into 1/2 tons, as well as factory installed, all the time, and frequently add huge bullbars/winches to the front. No real problems.
Minor conclusions. He is stuck on the cummins, and it's ~2500 RPM max, I'm stuck on the 6.9/7.3 IDI. Both are about as stupidly reliable as they come....... And, both should return MPG in the mid 20's in a 1/2 ton with 2.75-3.25 rear gears.

So, I am now going to start looking a bit more actively for a 6.9/C6, preferably in a rusty or wrecked chassis that can be got for cheap.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 AM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
desperado_18_2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bought more parts today. Flywheel, water pump, thermostat, oil pump pickup tube, motor mounts. These will be going onto the engine in a few days, once my finals are over. After that I've got to get the timing cover seal, belts, and some spools of wire.

3g alternator/electric fans here I come!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Had my d44 ttb parts blasted, and I am rattle-canning them right now (knuckles and springs with rustoleum clean metal primer to prevent any surface rust.) I might be deploying soon and don't want to have to get them blasted again.

I am thinking por 15 for the two axle beams, what do you guys think?

Before:

After: (Plus my 3.55 LS diff that needs new clutches)

Was also thinking to get these blasted, and put por 15 high temp stuff on them:

I also have all the other stuff I need (NP235, NP208 3.55 open diff (front)):

Plus driveshafts (front and hopefully the rear one I got is right).

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
POR 15 is good stuff - providing you do all the prep and use it properly. On another vehicle I blasted some parts, used the phosphate treatment, and painted them with POR 15 base coat and then the satin-black top coat.

Looked good, but then I got into powder coating and decided I wanted the POR 15 off so's I could coat them. Back into the blast cabinet they went and .......... I discovered that the POR 15 was seriously on there. It was a real chore to get it off - lots and lots of time.

Again, the preparation is the key. The parts have to be extremely clean before blasting to ensure you don't embed the grease, and should be blasted with rough grit media to give a texture and etched with the phosphate treatment they recommend.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
qbenplaya00 has a good reputation on FTE.qbenplaya00 has a good reputation on FTE.
i didnt do anything but i did buy some parts for it... headboard... tailgate.. and both sides of the bed (full)... i am happy with the buy. thanks. fiftyfordfloored aswell nice to meet people form the forum.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
billt28
Posting Guru
billt28 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.billt28 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I changed the wiring harness to my alternator. The old harness had wires exposed, and the POS PO had cut the fusible link and spliced it together.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM
hobbystock98
Junior User
hobbystock98 is starting off with a positive reputation.
more surgry

Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 PM
billt28
Posting Guru
billt28 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.billt28 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looking good Hobby.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
newrider3
Elder User
newrider3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tore apart the back end of my frame, to clean it up and put on some MasterSeries to prevent future rust. Going to topcoat it with black Rustoleum.
Also replacing the leaf springs, and installing a new pinion seal and rear brake shoes.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
old409
Senior User
old409 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Today I put new calipers,rotor and pads on the front. I wanted to replace the brake hoses and lines but it was a little too cold. I went to the ceramic brake pads hoping to keep my wheels a little cleaner. My front wheels, the original aluminum 5 slot types, cleaned up real nice.Hardly any pitting at all on them. It's hard to believe they have remained that nice after 30 yrs. of PA. snow and salt roads.

Has anybody used the copper/nickel brake line? You can almost tie it in a knot and it's supposed to be corrosion/rust resistant. I'm going to give it a try. It has good reviews.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.6fifty_f1fifty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by old409 View Post
Has anybody used the copper/nickel brake line? You can almost tie it in a knot and it's supposed to be corrosion/rust resistant. I'm going to give it a try. It has good reviews.
I used some between the master and the front splitter (whatever it is called) works great and easy to bend (and unbend and bend better)... Also used some with flaring tools to replace a fuel line in my motorhome.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM
86f15035s
Senior User
86f15035s is starting off with a positive reputation.
i rebuilt my np208 transfer case and put it back in, greased the u joints, and replaced the brake warning sensor on the proportioning valve with a brass plug cause it was leaking. she's road ready again!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Dorsai
Elder User
Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
Put my 1000th mile on the truck since I acquired it this past November.

Given that the truck probably hadn't driven a thousand miles altogether in the previous 15 years, I'd say that's an achievement!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
qbenplaya00 has a good reputation on FTE.qbenplaya00 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
Put my 1000th mile on the truck since I acquired it this past November.

Given that the truck probably hadn't driven a thousand miles altogether in the previous 15 years, I'd say that's an achievement!
got my truck 01/15 .... put almost 3k on it...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Dorsai
Elder User
Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.Dorsai has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by qbenplaya00 View Post
got my truck 01/15 .... put almost 3k on it...
Sounds like yours is a daily driver, then. Mine's not quite up to that yet - it's more of a weekend toy and Home Depot runner than anything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.