1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I painted my valve covers, breather cap and dipstick handle today, turned out very nice. The breather and dipstick turned out flawless. But the valve covers have some slight metal flaws but it turned out very nice. That Duplicolor engine enamel is some nice stuff, dries fast and covers great.

I'll get some pictures when I put them on.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM
4x484150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
That Duplicolor engine enamel is some nice stuff, dries fast and covers great.
I used it two summers ago on my engine, and it's held up very well.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
To add to that, when some speakers are out of phase and some are in phase sounds at certain frequencies get subtracted rather than added. In other words, some frequencies will be quiet and some overly loud, but the overall effect is that the sound quality is very poor.
Yes, will agree

The sound coming out of the Ford stereo should be better than crap.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Clampetts or Joads?

What have I done to my truck today? I loaded it for our little excursion - 3,000 miles in two weeks. But the question is, do we resemble the Clampetts or the Joads? (If you don't know who both of those families are you've been neglecting your cultural experiences.) And, if you vote for the Clampetts what's wrong with this picture?

All in all there's a large dining room hutch, a dining room table with 3 leaves and 5 chairs, 2 round tables, a hallway secretary, and a rocking chair in there. Oh yes, and an engine analyzer.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As for what's wrong, Jedd Clampett drove a Dodge if I remember correctly.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, this site says their truck was an Olds, but I didn't know that. Actually I thought the problem with the picture is that the rocking chair should be facing forward, as Granny's was:

Hmmm, I wonder who their sponsor was?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Reminds me of the Real McCoy's LOL

Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well, this site says their truck was an Olds, but I didn't know that. Actually I thought the problem with the picture is that the rocking chair should be facing forward, as Granny's was:

Hmmm, I wonder who their sponsor was?

Hmmm, let me take a wild guess... Was it corn flakes?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Pretty sure it was Craigslist Flakes.......lol

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro

Got them painted and installed.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
You've got one of those transmitters that plug into the 12 volt outlet? My brother had one that actually worked pretty good. I always wondered if people in cars beside you could pick up on your radio signal and listen to your CD's or MP3's.
No, mine runs on two AAAs and has a little headphone plug coming out of it. It works really well.

I would like to see the face of someone who gets into your truck and goes, "That old radio sounds like THAT?" Then you can make them open the glove box and put CD's in for you. For some reason I always turn into the disc jokey whenever I'm riding in the front passenger seat.
lol I'm gonna surprise some people for sure. Like I said, I can control everything from my phone, so no one will suspect a thing.

Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
That doesn't sound right, (pun intended). These factory units should get good and loud with good bass responce using the factory speakers.
Mine's the little single dash speaker kind. Only every great once in a while do I get anything resembling bass out of it.

Either you are using aftermarket speakers, or your factory speakers are shot, or there is an internal problem in the radio.
I hooked up a 6.5" Pioneer door speaker to it since the stock one was dry-rotted. I have what appears to be a correct stock replacement sitting in my room (thanks, brother-in-law) so I may stick that in there and see how it sounds.

My Factory AM/FM cassette, which I rebuilt (with pictures on this very thread somewhere) sounds really good to me. Granted I replaced the front speakers with Factory premium speakers from a 1992-1996 F-series, and added rear premium speakers and brackets behind the seat that came from a Crown Victoria; using a four channel speaker harness that came out of a 1980-1981 Bronco.

If the truck is around in another 50 years time, some kid somewhere will think it was all factory.
Yours has gotta be bumpin' pretty good compared to mine. When I get the CD player in, though, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. Back when I had it installed the first time I had wired it rather horribly, but this time around I'm running it off my add-on fusebox.

Plus this time I got some of the fancy connectors with built-in heat shrink tubing on the ends.

I am about to go order a new connector off ebay and sometime this week I'm going to go ahead and get all the wires in place and the speakers ready. Once I get the connector all I'll have to do is connect the wires and plug in.

I won't have much radio reception since I only have one antenna, but I'm pretty sure it should pick up the little transmitter since it's not far away from the stereo.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordFETruck

Got them painted and installed.
The matching blue filter is cool.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I assumed that was just overspray.

What about the matching blue springs on the dizzy?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
The distributor cap spacer was originally black, last year I lightly scuffed it, cleaned it super good and painted it. Still looks like new lol. Blue everywhere on this thing.

The filter is one of those Spectre K&N copycat filters, the paper filter would get distorted and screwed up from moisture when it rained, no problems with this cotton fiber filter.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
I replaced the back brakes on my mom's Cherokee today. The drums were in very good shape so I reused them, but the passenger side shoes and wheel cylinder were toast. When I dropped one of the shoes on the ground as I was taking things apart, the braking material came off in one big chunk from the metal frame. Parking brake auto-adjuster cable was broken too. Driver's side was in decent shape but I replaced the shoes and cylinder there too for good measure. Bled the brakes and took it for a spin, and it stops as good as my truck now.

Next on the job list is to replace both O2 sensors. At $45 a pop though...

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?