What have you done to your truck today? - Page 611 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Having had both a Camper Special 390 with custom (my design) dual exhaust and now a 460, I will say this. Power, hard to compare exactly, 390 was in a 77 F-150, std cab long bed. It probably weighed just a little more fully loaded than Darth weighs empty, it would light the rear tires empty with ease and really PO'd a fellow with a SS-454 French truck. Economy, even allowing for the weight difference, empty the 390 was great, 16 highway with ease.

Darth, as I got him, 10 mpg empty or loaded, add the 5th wheel, 8.5 consistent. Power, I was impressed, I never really cared much for the 385 family compared to either the FE or MEL engines (EDJ-430 was a real torque monster) till after I climbed a nice grade in PA hauling the 5th wheel and had a fellow with an identical trailer hauling it with similar Chevy ask me what my minimum speed up that stretch was. I told him 37 mph in second with the C6, his next question was "what gear you got in that Ford, 4.10?". When I told him 3.55 he couldn't believe it, He had a 3.75 I think and was doing 22 mph in first.

Mine got a steady 15 MPG: 1972 / F-250 / 390 / 4v / dual exaust.
You could see the fuel gauge needle move when you got into the secondaries though. Slurrrp. . .

Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
My '72 F250 Explorer 2V w/a C6 got 14 on the highway and was a wimp - until I put the Q-Jet on it. The 2150 was so lean that on the highway nothing happened when easing into it until the power valve opened. The Q-Jet cured that, and when the toilet bowls opened the gas gauge and speedo moved in opposite directions.

But I don't remember the 390 as being all that strong. Were the 2V and 4V cams quite different?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM
FordFETruck
Postmaster
FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.
From what I remember the cams were the same. We have a 68 390 2V cam in the garage and a 63 352 4V cam and they are the exact same thing. I doubt they had different cams in the trucks for 2V and 4V.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Fordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to allFordzilla80 is a name known to all
Finished the second mirror extension arm yesterday.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
Finished the second mirror extension arm yesterday.
That post might be pertinent of the title of this thread were, What did you do to your truck yesterday?

But, apparently, you cannot read or comprehend the English language, or you have not learned the difference between yesterday and today.

Please correct this behavioural problem before further subjecting the upstanding members of this forum with your snot-nose, seemingly prepubescent musings, OK?

Hopefully, that is smart-***-ish enough to not be mistaken for me being serious. Just saying Hi.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
85blackbeauty
Junior User
85blackbeauty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rebuilt steering box

Today I rebuilt my steering box with the help of a very experienced Ford mechanic. The entire box was disassembled and new seals were put in. Then the box was adjusted, and it gives great service now. The reason for the rebuild was a serious leak from the pitman shaft.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
I was going to install a CD player today, buuuuuuuuut somehow the plug that goes into the back of the head unit has walked off. Can't connect wires to the itty bitty pins themselves, so I either have to find the plug wherever it's at, or pick up a new one from pep boys (if they have them) or ebay.

I was so excited about having a nice stereo again, and a custom install at that. I'm putting it in the glovebox (which I never use) so my stock radio would appear to be the only one.

*slams head on table*

Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TheKirbyMan View Post
I was so excited about having a nice stereo again, and a custom install at that. I'm putting it in the glovebox (which I never use) so my stock radio would appear to be the only one.

*slams head on table*
Won't putting it in a glove box be counter-productive to being able to actually use it? I could see doing it if you've got one of the ones that came with a little remote.

I helped wire in a stereo in a Jeep Cherokee once. Got it all wired in after we figured out the wires by looking at diagrams we found online, and come to find out the blasted thing didn't work! Took it back, got another one, hooked it up, and it worked just fine. The stock speakers were bad, so I took my old boom box speakers off of my stereo (110V, plug in a wall kind) and wired it up to the 12 volt radio. They were surprisingly loud and sounded good. Didn't screw up the head either. They sat in the back seat.

I know all of you guys here and most everybody else that has done anything to these old vehicles knows, but I'll say it for the fellas that haven't ever wired in a stereo before: if you don't know what wire does what, leave it alone and go get a schematic! Believe me, you'll save a lot of time and headache. Learned that one the hard way.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 View Post
Learned that one the hard way.
That's cuz you're still a snot-nosed teenager I think, though I forget for sure and still learning these things.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4 View Post
Won't putting it in a glove box be counter-productive to being able to actually use it?
Nah, if I use my little FM transmitter then I control everything from my iPhone. I do that now with the factory AM/FM unit I installed last year, but the sound leaves alot to be desired. Then again I put it in there cuz I wanted it there, so....lol

CDs might get tedious, yes, but it'll be worth it trying to convince people that all that sound is coming from the itty bitty factory radio. lol

Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
00Boss
Elder User
00Boss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00Boss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
So, what vehicle was the caliper on?

As for us being more fun, I'm surprised you act surprised. How could you get better than here?
Ya your right I shoulda known better.
Its on the 01. I found a couple a places with the rebuild kits but they want twice what Advance would sell em for if they were in stock.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds pretty simple - put a rebuilt unit on from Advance. Sometimes it is cheaper to let the "pro's" do it, although I'm usually suspect of their products.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.1983F1503004x4 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
That's cuz you're still a snot-nosed teenager I think, though I forget for sure and still learning these things.
This next birthday coming I'll be 20, so I await the day that I'm not a snot nosed teenager! Although at the moment, I am LITERALLY snot nosed. Been fighting a heck of a cold since Monday. The symptoms have changed every day!

Nah, if I use my little FM transmitter then I control everything from my iPhone. I do that now with the factory AM/FM unit I installed last year, but the sound leaves alot to be desired. Then again I put it in there cuz I wanted it there, so....lol

CDs might get tedious, yes, but it'll be worth it trying to convince people that all that sound is coming from the itty bitty factory radio. lol
You've got one of those transmitters that plug into the 12 volt outlet? My brother had one that actually worked pretty good. I always wondered if people in cars beside you could pick up on your radio signal and listen to your CD's or MP3's.

I would like to see the face of someone who gets into your truck and goes, "That old radio sounds like THAT?" Then you can make them open the glove box and put CD's in for you. For some reason I always turn into the disc jokey whenever I'm riding in the front passenger seat.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
That doesn't sound right, (pun intended). These factory units should get good and loud with good bass responce using the factory speakers.

Either you are using aftermarket speakers, or your factory speakers are shot, or there is an internal problem in the radio.

The ohms of aftermarket speakers will not match the amp in the factory radio, and they can sound crap due to impedence mismatch. Ford radios had non standard values.

My Factory AM/FM cassette, which I rebuilt (with pictures on this very thread somewhere) sounds really good to me. Granted I replaced the front speakers with Factory premium speakers from a 1992-1996 F-series, and added rear premium speakers and brackets behind the seat that came from a Crown Victoria; using a four channel speaker harness that came out of a 1980-1981 Bronco.

If the truck is around in another 50 years time, some kid somewhere will think it was all factory.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer View Post
That doesn't sound right, (pun intended). These factory units should get good and loud with good bass responce using the factory speakers.

Either you are using aftermarket speakers, or your factory speakers are shot, or there is an internal problem in the radio.
The speakers could be wired out of phase as well.

Speakers will work regardless of which way electrical current flows through them. However, most speakers have a positive side and a negative side. If the wires are switched so that the negative is going through the positive, and the positive is going through the negative, the speaker is out of phase and will produce less sound.

For a sound system to work correctly, all the speakers have to be wired in phase, so that they all produce sound at the same sound level. If not, some will be louder than others, or if they're all wired the same way out of phase, it'll be quiet.

Most speakers these days have the positive terminal marked with a red dot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.