1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Those Standard Radiators were notorious for overheating in stop and go driving, even without a/c.

The larger radiators, with the fan shroud, were avaliable as standard on Factory equipped A/C models, and optional on trucks without a/c as the Super Cool Option.

I'd swap that smaller radiator out for the larger one. The 1980-1984 supports have mountings for both, and is what the dealer should have done when the dealer A/C was installed.

I'd go one step further though and would replace the radiator support from a wrecker for the extra width opening.

Replacing the support and getting the larger radiator and shroud isn't that hard to do. They do cool a lot better, have more surface area and fins, have a fan shroud instead of just a Fan Guard, and have a quart more coolant.
Yeah, I've long intended to do this, just never quite got around to it.
I won't bother swapping the entire rad support. I'll have to cut mine out for the wider rad, while making allowances for the condensor mounting.
The bad thing about doing this swap, it calls for using the longer factory A/C upper hose, which has a "hump" in it to go over the stock location for the A/C compressor. My compressor is not only a different type, but mounts on the opposite side of the engine, above the alt......

Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I was going to have ice cold AC for the weekend but the clutch on the Reman Four Seasons compressor from Rockauto is junk. I don't want the clutch to be louder than the engine.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs down

The DIS-advantages of buying mail order.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave804
I'm getting my first dose of AOD woes with the wagon. R engages fine. 2-3-OD work fine. Starting from a dead stop involves a lot of shuddering. It also dropped into N, I believe, going around a right hand turn today. Time to go to a pro and open my wallet I believe. Going to adjust the TV cable and double check the fluid levels right now.
I just finished up the Jeep trans a little while ago, and would you believe that being about a half-quart low will cause problems engaging 1st?? I added four quarts (a "service fill" according to literature) and it would engage gears from park just fine, but from a dead stop it would start moving, rev up and then it'd catch and SLAM into 1st. 2-3-4 were smooth. Added a quart (should've added half since the whole quart made it go a little over MAX level), and all the problems went away.

Considering doing a TV cable adjustment on it soon (Jeeps have a similar setup to the AOD), but I'll have to get mom's approval since it's her baby.

Also after I finished everything up, I took it to the local carwash and cleaned it up real good. Had to hide a "few" greasy handprints on the side, thanks to my brother in law.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The DIS-advantages of buying mail order.
Jim nailed it. Another two weeks and you will have another "maybe" junk compressor in your hands.

Added a quart (should've added half since the whole quart made it go a little over MAX level), and all the problems went away.
Kirby, I wouldnt worry about it. I have a buddy Lauren that has been building auto tranny's for 20 yrs. He says fill them up until they puke out the overflow. I have brought up that some say right on the dipstick not to overfill them,but, he claims that is BS. I have always filled mine until they puke up after he said that and I havent had a problem with any of them. There may be some exceptions. However, he didnt say anything a special tranny or anything like that so I go with what the pro says.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

EVening all! Successfully made it up to Colonial Beach.

Car ran like a damn champ, turned 22.3 mpg on the way up. Not too bad for no tune-up from me and going 90+ with two guys and luggage in it.

Parked in the parking garage. Walking away I heard a hissing sound. Turned around, and all of my coolant was making a good 15ft puddle on the ground

Both hoses are still connected, the radiator is covered in fluid, it's pooled in the cowl.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't get me wrong Bruno.
I've bought plenty of stuff for my wife's Passport from RockAuto and never had a problem.
But those were all tuneup and suspension parts.
Plugs, wires, shocks, bushings, ball joints, brake pads.

I don't think I'd buy a rebuilt compressor, pump, alternator, distributor or steering box from an online vendor.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did an oil change on the Sequoia last weekend. The headlights had not been shutting off by themselves and it was causing the battery to run down. I had my neighbor James look at it . I had read on the net that possibly the relay may stick. So we found it and gave the relay some homeopathic treatment. I noticed the ground terminal on the battery was corrodey. So I cleaned it up. James thinks maybe some low voltage issues with the ground being dirty might have been causing the relay to stick. So after a whack on the relay and the ground terminal scrubbing it is doing its job now.

James being a mechanic for so long now has some good philosophy with faulty parts. If they are broken and need to be changed anyways that is the perfect time to either beat it into submission (i.e.homeopathic method) or take the part apart and try to fix it.Should the internals turn out to be springloaded and fly 6 different directions, oh well it was bad anyways. If you break it beating it with a hammer trying to get it to work, oh well you were going to buy another one anyhow. We have saved ourselves a lot of money in the past doing that. Sometimes you get lucky!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Don't get me wrong Bruno.
I've bought plenty of stuff for my wife's Passport from RockAuto and never had a problem.
But those were all tuneup and suspension parts.
Plugs, wires, shocks, bushings, ball joints, brake pads.

I don't think I'd buy a rebuilt compressor, pump, alternator, distributor or steering box from an online vendor.
Was it the compressor or the clutch that was loud? I bought a reman compressor from Autozone and it was loud too. Took it back and got another one, same thing. Its loud, but it works just fine, so I just crank up the fan speed and the tunes and go on down the road.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruno2
Kirby, I wouldnt worry about it. I have a buddy Lauren that has been building auto tranny's for 20 yrs. He says fill them up until they puke out the overflow. I have brought up that some say right on the dipstick not to overfill them,but, he claims that is BS. I have always filled mine until they puke up after he said that and I havent had a problem with any of them. There may be some exceptions. However, he didnt say anything a special tranny or anything like that so I go with what the pro says.
The only problem I've heard of happening when you overfill is the fluid getting foamy...but I've never had an issue with it in my truck since it leaks out the extra before long anyway. On this Jeep I didn't think it'd really be a big deal anyway, and also, considering I had to modify the dipstick tube (tubing cutter and reinforced rubber fuel line), I'm not quite sure yet if the readings are completely accurate anymore.

I will say this, even with 232k that 4.0L will put ya back in the seat in a hurry.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
Was it the compressor or the clutch that was loud? I bought a reman compressor from Autozone and it was loud too. Took it back and got another one, same thing. Its loud, but it works just fine, so I just crank up the fan speed and the tunes and go on down the road.
The clutch is making the noise. I just figure that I didn't buy the part from a junkyard, so I shouldn't have to deal with the excessive noise.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
EVening all! Successfully made it up to Colonial Beach.

Car ran like a damn champ, turned 22.3 mpg on the way up. Not too bad for no tune-up from me and going 90+ with two guys and luggage in it.

Parked in the parking garage. Walking away I heard a hissing sound. Turned around, and all of my coolant was making a good 15ft puddle on the ground

Both hoses are still connected, the radiator is covered in fluid, it's pooled in the cowl.
Well,Dave, At least it won't be too difficult to find out where the fluid is coming from..

Sounds like it is time for Radiator R&R 101...good luck..trav..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM
siloketh
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Those Standard Radiators were notorious for overheating in stop and go driving, even without a/c.

The larger radiators, with the fan shroud, were avaliable as standard on Factory equipped A/C models, and optional on trucks without a/c as the Super Cool Option.

I'd swap that smaller radiator out for the larger one. The 1980-1984 supports have mountings for both, and is what the dealer should have done when the dealer A/C was installed.

I'd go one step further though and would replace the radiator support from a wrecker for the extra width opening.

Replacing the support and getting the larger radiator and shroud isn't that hard to do. They do cool a lot better, have more surface area and fins, have a fan shroud instead of just a Fan Guard, and have a quart more coolant.
That seems to be my problem, radiator is old an worn out for starters. My water pump is pumping quite well actually. I can get the larger radiator (new) and everything else needed hopefully in the next couple paychecks including a mechanical temp gauge, I don't trust the 30+yo wiring for the stocker. I gotta find a JY nearby so I can pull the full shroud and supports. Thanks for all the advice ya'll

Old 08-04-2012, 03:18 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you didn't warp a cylinder head or blow a head gasket. I had a 1986 Cadillac with 47,000 original miles on it in 2005. It overheated because sediment in the system settled in the bottom of the radiator and killed its ability to cool. I got half way to Nashville Tennessee and the thing blew a head gasket.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

My pressure gauge is in Richmond of course. Motor turned over by hand fine. I picked up a radiator this morning after a 3hr ordeal, it was the wrong size. At some point tonight we're going to grab a bite to eat and take the bay liner out, and I'll exchange the radiator then. Got my 3 gallons of coolant and cap too.

I took the old one out this morning. It looks like the tank on the side of the radiator separated, and that's where the burst came from. While driving I only had about 1mi not at highway speeds, then about a minute after I parked it burst. I'm hoping that I had overheated, but the sudden stop in cooling is what caused the pressure to rise. I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?