What have you done to your truck today? - Page 461 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Dave804 View Post
By the way: box in the mail for you.
Cool
And, holy smoke is the same radio so much louder in this car. Granted it's premium sound, but I almost hurt myself with the volume haha.
That's why I like these things! They get decently loud - much louder than lower-grade systems - because they have built-in amplifiers. Have you noticed the heat sinks on the back?

And, these things plug into factory wiring, use factory mounting brackets, and everything just works.

'til you start playing around with 4 speakers and using non-factory parts & configurations but that's a different story. I'm now on a quest to get one of those Premium things from a mid-90s sedan - the kind with two (separate) amplifiers and a subwoofer, those things rock!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Dave804
Postmaster
Dave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to behold
That Taurus had some serious looking stereo in it. But anything not on the outer wall is toast.

This is AM/FM only in the wagon. If the harnesses are PnP I think I may swap out units with a JY one. I want a CD player in this, as it's a family road trip car, but we'll have to see. Have to do some serious wiring with a remote mount input to avoid that space ship look. I also want to do a good looking temp and tach install somehow.

I also need to figure out how to clean the volume (rheostat?) It's clearly sticky in the most common volumes and doesn't output that super bass. You and I can be the experts on 30yo stereos one day

Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Cool
That's why I like these things! They get decently loud - much louder than lower-grade systems - because they have built-in amplifiers. Have you noticed the heat sinks on the back?

And, these things plug into factory wiring, use factory mounting brackets, and everything just works.

'til you start playing around with 4 speakers and using non-factory parts & configurations but that's a different story. I'm now on a quest to get one of those Premium things from a mid-90s sedan - the kind with two (separate) amplifiers and a subwoofer, those things rock!
The radio in Dad's truck doesn't even come on. Haven't looked to see why. May do some day - when I get the engine, tranny, and bodywork done. Because during the latter I'll sound-deaden it seriously and add good rubber around the windows. Until that's done I'm not sure I could hear the radio anyway.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:33 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Dave - Our vintage trucks play well with 80's-vintage stereos, but things changed by 1987 I think. Certainly by 1989. Different power & speaker connectors. You can cut off different pigtails in the JY and meld them to plug into your existing harness and newer radios, this is the way I like to do it. I don't at all like hacking up existing wiring, adapto-plugs are lots better IMHO as they allow you to return it to how it was (un-do your changes). Also keeps you from introducing electrical problems, unless you make the adapters wrong.

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Until that's done I'm not sure I could hear the radio anyway.
This is exactly why trucks need loud radios.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Dave804
Postmaster
Dave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to beholdDave804 is a splendid one to behold
And doing solder and crimp in an upholstered chair with a table is sooooo much nicer.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.TheKirbyMan has a good reputation on FTE.
The radio in Dad's truck doesn't even come on. Haven't looked to see why. May do some day - when I get the engine, tranny, and bodywork done. Because during the latter I'll sound-deaden it seriously and add good rubber around the windows. Until that's done I'm not sure I could hear the radio anyway.
To this day I still can't figure out how I heard my little AM/FM single speaker radio over the Flowmaster 40 that I had dumping out under the cab with no tailpipe...

Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 AM
FordFETruck
Postmaster
FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.FordFETruck has a great reputation on FTE.
The radio in my truck is a piece of crap, it won't pick up very many radio stations and is confusing to use, it's been in there for 15 years according to the owners manual to it. ALSO it has a nice bonus feature, every time you disconnect the battery the volume re sets it self to the max and on position when you turn the key on....I think I'd rather take you're busted radio LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That Taurus had some serious looking stereo in it. But anything not on the outer wall is toast.

This is AM/FM only in the wagon. If the harnesses are PnP I think I may swap out units with a JY one. I want a CD player in this, as it's a family road trip car, but we'll have to see. Have to do some serious wiring with a remote mount input to avoid that space ship look. I also want to do a good looking temp and tach install somehow.

I also need to figure out how to clean the volume (rheostat?) It's clearly sticky in the most common volumes and doesn't output that super bass. You and I can be the experts on 30yo stereos one day
Dave,IIRC,your radio still has the old style volume control with contacts and wipers instead of carbon.

Radio Shack still carries the old TV tuner cleaner or equivalent.
Pull that baby out and spray it good while turning it.

If it has the newer style(sealed unit),you are probably SOL.

I just replaced my unit in my 85 with a Pioneer unit from Wal-Mart.
CD,etc. works good.
I used factory plug with adapter that came with unit. It had several different plugs with it.

The only thing is, in the factory harness plug, the left and right ground or (-) wires are jumpered in the plug.
Just clip one and solder it to the correct wire on the unit.
Good sound,balance,fade. Worked for me...Trav..

Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.truckertrav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The sound deadening material will probly make a MAJOR difference.
My 85 had all that in the door panels,under carpet,etc.
The window (anti-rattle kit) from Rock Auto works good.
All my door seals were good but the rubber around the windows were brittle.
It made a Ton of difference and wasn't a major chore to replace.
Also the radio replacement with new door speakers was worth the effort.

Nothing like tooling around listening to Percy Sledge,Ben E.King,Marvin Gaye,CCR,etc. (I like older music) Trav..

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Dave, if that wagon has the premium stereo, the amp should be in the left rear fender area. If you get one of the CD changers that injects an FM signal into the antenna input you can probably figure out a place to stick it back in that corner.

Jim, we had a 1971 Colony Park with (originally) a 429 2V engine. It took me about 2 weeks to find a 4V intake in a friend's junk yard once I found to only difference was the intake and carb. That beast would fly and carried 10 people with no problems.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Jump seats in the cargo area facing one another, behind the rear axle and directly above the gas tank!

My how times have changed .

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
RAY1986F150
Posting Guru
RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.RAY1986F150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Dave, we must be long lost twins. I have a perversion for old wagons also.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
Jim, the fuel tank was just in front of the rear seat area, so when you were sitting in them if you were in the forward position you were against it with just the floor between you and 16gals of premium fuel. They were still one of the safest cars of the day as the tank was well protected being inside the frame rails.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader
SideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputationSideWinder4.9l has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150 View Post
Dave, we must be long lost twins. I have a perversion for old wagons also.
Must have a YOUNG triplet here...I LOVE wagons...

But they're RARE around here...

Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
Not just the young guys, I like real wagons, not the damn square hatchbacks they call wagons. I loved the "Magic Doorgate" on Ford product wagons. I had two, a 1970 1/2 Falcon I added one to and the 1971 Colony Park that had the one you could open as a door without putting the window down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.