1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, IIRC the bolts go through the brackets and into the compressor. If so, the compressor is tapped SAE on one end and metric on the other. That's the part I don't understand.
It's funny that you mention that because I threaded in the two rear bolts and they seemed decent but not really right in there. So I put in the two front and they didn't seem as tight. I started tightening them all and the front one popped back a thread or two before the lock washer even compressed. So I took them all back out.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:21 AM
MikeD70
New User
a few ,but i dnt know what will work and what wont ,thats why im here .This is my first ford

Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeD70
searched fr a harness for my 80 f100 Custom ....no luck ,found the alternator harness tho :u
We do have a junkyard wishlist thread.
Maybe someone else knows of one and can get it for you?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-wishlist.html

Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't done anything today, but over the last week I have taken both front fenders loose at the back and cut away some interference on the left side lower mount and redrilled the hole in the new mounting bracket on the right.

The next evolution was to take the radiator support nuts off, then one side at a time take the front cab mount bolt out. I then jacked the front corner of the cab on the side the bolt was out of so I could remove the two left over upper transmission crossmember bolts and turn the new front bolt for the E4OD crossmember the proper way.

Final evolution was to reinforce the driver's seat mounting area. The power base has a smaller footprint than the Ford seat does and it had already cracked the floorpan. I took a pair of MTD mower deck supports and drilled one extra hole in each, then shortened the outer one and cut one support hole off for clearance. The picture is the outer one next to the at that point unmodified one.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
It's funny that you mention that because I threaded in the two rear bolts and they seemed decent but not really right in there. So I put in the two front and they didn't seem as tight. I started tightening them all and the front one popped back a thread or two before the lock washer even compressed. So I took them all back out.
I thought there were three of one variety and two of the other persuasion. And, when I wrote on the bag which held them I said X metric to the front (or was it the back?) and Y SAE to the back (or front). Anyway, what's your plan now?

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
I haven't done anything today, but over the last week I have taken both front fenders loose at the back and cut away some interference on the left side lower mount and redrilled the hole in the new mounting bracket on the right.

The next evolution was to take the radiator support nuts off, then one side at a time take the front cab mount bolt out. I then jacked the front corner of the cab on the side the bolt was out of so I could remove the two left over upper transmission crossmember bolts and turn the new front bolt for the E4OD crossmember the proper way.

Final evolution was to reinforce the driver's seat mounting area. The power base has a smaller footprint than the Ford seat does and it had already cracked the floorpan. I took a pair of MTD mower deck supports and drilled one extra hole in each, then shortened the outer one and cut one support hole off for clearance. The picture is the outer one next to the at that point unmodified one.
Bill - I'm planning to lift the cab on Dad's truck to both drill the frame and to install the bolts for the upper crossmember brackets. How far did you have to raise it to get the bolts out?

Also, that's a good use of MTD parts. Actually, probably a better use than what they were designed for. Not a fan of anything from them as they've purchased and then reduced the quality of many name brands.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Got a couple good truck related gifts today. A set of functional tie downs. I have a couple, but they're all 10,000#. A couple ratcheting hold bars for the bed, and a small job box tool box that will fit under the passenger side of the seat.

Also got a good vacuum/fuel gauge finally. Now for the research...

Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM
EarlM
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well its been a long time since I have been on here. But Just finished up a big project that I have been working on for some time. I installed my new motor. A 302 out of a 99 Explorer. GT 40 P heads, put in a HO Mustang cam, a Edelbrock manifold with a 600 Holly, headers and new exhaust with flowmasters. It runs really cool.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by EarlM
Well its been a long time since I have been on here. But Just finished up a big project that I have been working on for some time. I installed my new motor. A 302 out of a 99 Explorer. GT 40 P heads, put in a HO Mustang cam, a Edelbrock manifold with a 600 Holly, headers and new exhaust with flowmasters. It runs really cool.
Sounds good. Or, maybe I should say the idea sounds good - I'm not sure about the Flowmasters. Anyway, glad you are back and that your project went well. Hopefully we'll see you around these parts more.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill - I'm planning to lift the cab on Dad's truck to both drill the frame and to install the bolts for the upper crossmember brackets. How far did you have to raise it to get the bolts out?
Gary, I only had to raise it about 1 inch, but keep in mind mine is a crew cab. I didn't take the rear cab mount bolts out (the left one is over the mid chassis fuel tank).

Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Originally Posted by EarlM
Very nice. What gearing are you running with that?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Gary, I only had to raise it about 1 inch, but keep in mind mine is a crew cab. I didn't take the rear cab mount bolts out (the left one is over the mid chassis fuel tank).
Ahhh. I understand. I'm thinking I'll pull the mount bolts for the cab, pull the fenders, and raise the cab via the lift. I already have to have the steering column out to put the manual tranny version in, so it'll just be wiring and brake lines to contend with.

Then I'll block it up with 2x4 spacers and raise the whole truck up so I can put the ZF5 in, install the crossmember, mark the holes, etc. And, that'll let me figure out if I'm going to have interference between the tranny and the firewall.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Today was my birthday, so I didn't get too much done. But I did pick up some 16 gauge sheet metal from Lowe's today, and made another shifter boot hold down plate. This new one is much thicker than the old 22 gauge one I made. I just need to finish up the edges a little and then I can spray it with bed liner and install it.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Today was my birthday, so I didn't get too much done. But I did pick up some 16 gauge sheet metal from Lowe's today, and made another shifter boot hold down plate. This new one is much thicker than the old 22 gauge one I made. I just need to finish up the edges a little and then I can spray it with bed liner and install it.
Happy birthday - belatedly. 22 is it?

As for the hold-down plate, that sure seems like a lot of work with a cutoff wheel and whatever else you are using. Glad it worked this time, but does that metal (16 ga = .060") seem thick enough?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Happy birthday - belatedly. 22 is it?

As for the hold-down plate, that sure seems like a lot of work with a cutoff wheel and whatever else you are using. Glad it worked this time, but does that metal (16 ga = .060") seem thick enough?
Thanks! I'm 20, and have now advanced from snot nosed teenager to snot nosed young adult.

As for the new .060" sheet, it actually cut really well. But I made sure I bought a DeWalt cutoff wheel just in case. The new plate is plenty thick. The hole is cut out in the center, and I still can't bend it without applying abnormal force, so I know it will be perfect when I finish it up.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Dave804
Postmaster

I think you had Shaun and I mixed up Gary.

I'm 22 as of yesterday.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?