1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, a lift is nice. Gary has a real nice setup in his shop. It may not be huge, but I was surprised at how well laid out everything was.

I'm a bit leary about the HID kits myself. Think I'll just stick to the tried and proven sealed beams. Might be old technology, but they keep improving them......

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, when RW and I decided to go to the parts store for his brake lines we took my truck. First time it has been out in 3 weeks, during which time it got new tires and wheels, new front and rear suspension bushings, new shocks, new brake pads, rotors and drums turned, and a new tranny gasket. Oh yes, and washed, polished, and waxed. Sure does drive and look waaaaaay better.

But, as he pointed out, our trucks do seem to be in cahoots as we've both been fighting tranny leaks and brake problems. My new rear wheel cylinders are due in tomorrow. Not sure about replacing the linings yet, but probably should since then the rear would be DONE.

As for the lift, absolutely LOVE it. Long drive from CT, but ...... Btw, spent a lot of time in Meriden, Groton, and Norwich. Yeah, GD was my client.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Putting new rear linings in would pretty much give you all new brakes, all around.
You have done rather well thus far on the truck, and it certainly doesn't look like it spent time sitting in a field, and was sold as a "parts" truck.

Yes, the lift is certainly a great thing. Someday, I hope to have one of my own.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Long drive from CT, but ...... Btw, spent a lot of time in Meriden, Groton, and Norwich. Yeah, GD was my client.
I have lived in Middletown for a little over 3 years now, but plan to be moving back to CO, sooner rather than later hopefully. Not that that drive would be a LOT better.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
I'm a bit leary about the HID kits myself. Think I'll just stick to the tried and proven sealed beams. Might be old technology, but they keep improving them......
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM
6fifty_f1fifty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a damn thing. She is stuck in the base auto hobby shop (which is closed on Tues. and Wed.) waiting for me to finish the rear end swap.

What a pain, literally. My fingers are still sore and I can't do crap about it.

I was pissed off at the e-brake bracket on the donor truck because I had chiseled off the rivets, but one was thoroughly rusted and it still wouldn't come off. I got one cable off but the other wouldn't budge so I took a 4" angle grinder to it.

Had to cut off brake lines too, even a flare wrench would round them. Good thing I have some spare parts from both trucks...

Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 AM
old409
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a set of Champion truck plugs and would have put a set of new plug wires on but there were a total of 8 wires in the box, 3 completely different types (bought them off the internet) and none of them would hold. They are good solid 8mm wires but not for my truck. I'll probably end up getting a set of Motorcraft wires locally and be sure I have the right thing. Also fixed my annoying seat belt.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
00Boss
Elder User
I have a dummy clutch now. Installed a clutch pedal assembly and will drill holes in the firewall as soon as I get back for my clutch master. Advice on a 1/4" difference in driveshafts? Cheap to please.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 PM
dyingtolive
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Washed and waxed the truck today. She's beautifully rusty, shiny, and red. Ha. Figured out What I need to do to re-install my factory fuel tank selector valve, and got a little worried about a 'leaky' clutch master cylinder. But everything's good to go now. (Thanks again, guys). Tomorrow? Re-installing the factory tank selector valve, removing the newer one, and pulling out the old, unused fuel return lines.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice deal buddy! I'm painting my truck this weekend so excited you don't even know! Getting weatherstrip and interior back in maybe (If I can get vinyl floor covering and fire wall material). Flat bed coming shortly, winch and lift kit also coming. Maybe a zf5speed running freight quotes now!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fixed my exhaust leak on the new headers and extended the tailpipes, sounds 100% better now.... oh yeah, put gas in it... again

Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 AM
BMcT
Freshman User
Not what I did to it but for it...

I havn't been able to do anything to my truck today b/c I'm at work but the best thing I've done for my truck today is join this forum. For the past few weeks I've been looking for some difficult to find interior parts for my 1986 Ford F250. I joined this forum earlier today and within 15 minutes of "looking around" after registering on this forum I found them! In the process now to buy them...thanks FTE.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Bulldog5.0
Senior User
I posted mine in the for sale section. Unfortunately, that's all I've done to mine today

Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 AM
old409
Senior User
I spent the nite rebuilding my carb. Yesterday I thought I'd save myself some future trouble so I replaced all the sections of rubber hose on my gas line with newer gasahol resistant line. When I finished, I started the truck and it was running fine. I backed it out on the street and it shut off. I restated it and it was missing, sputtering etc. Gas was pouring out of the carb onto the manifold.

I took the carb off and saw it had the usual wear on the shaft and when I got inside the float settings were all screwed up but no dirt, so I got a kit and rebuilt it. I was up all nite so my son will put it back on for me while I recuperate. All I wanted to do was save myself a little future trouble and I ended up causing myself a huge PIA.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BMcT
I havn't been able to do anything to my truck today b/c I'm at work but the best thing I've done for my truck today is join this forum. For the past few weeks I've been looking for some difficult to find interior parts for my 1986 Ford F250. I joined this forum earlier today and within 15 minutes of "looking around" after registering on this forum I found them! In the process now to buy them...thanks FTE.

Welcome to the FTE club.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
old409
Senior User
My rebuild job on the carb did wonders for my truck. Much better pick up and runs a lot smoother.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?