1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave804

My uncle's truck. '94 F150 XLT Lariat. Only option he didn't get was wood accents I believe. 302, 4x4, auto OD trans. We gave her the 240k mile service yesterday haha. I remember riding home from the dealer with him, when it had '7' on the odometer.

It's been no secret the past few years that I'd get the truck. Yesterday we went to a couple dealers to look at new ones. He's planning to get a replacement before college football starts up this year. So if I throw some $ his way I'll hopefully be the proud owner in a couple months.
Cool! I like it!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dave804

My uncle's truck. '94 F150 XLT Lariat. Only option he didn't get was wood accents I believe. 302, 4x4, auto OD trans. We gave her the 240k mile service yesterday haha. I remember riding home from the dealer with him, when it had '7' on the odometer.

It's been no secret the past few years that I'd get the truck. Yesterday we went to a couple dealers to look at new ones. He's planning to get a replacement before college football starts up this year. So if I throw some $ his way I'll hopefully be the proud owner in a couple months.

Good looking truck, Dave. I hope that you will buy it.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Played with my cylinder heads a little more today.

Here's a before picture after I first took the passenger side head off of the block.

And here's where I stand now.

And here's the rigged up valve guide insert.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Played with my cylinder heads a little more today.

Here's a before picture after I first took the passenger side head off of the block.

And here's where I stand now.

And here's the rigged up valve guide insert.

Personally, I would find another head, or pair of heads, and not fool with that bad valve guide issue.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Personally, I would find another head, or pair of heads, and not fool with that bad valve guide issue.
The other head still has intact valve guides with no after the fact inserts.

Problem is, finding another set of heads that don't also have valve guide issues will probably prove to be too difficult..

Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM
truckertrav
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Cool! I like it!
Ditto on that!!!.

Slick looking 94.

You can tell it has been taken care of. Hope Dave gets it.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Problem is, finding another set of heads that don't also have valve guide issues will probably prove to be too difficult..
I don't see why a machine shop can't fix that.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Cool! I like it!
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
Good looking truck, Dave. I hope that you will buy it.
Originally Posted by truckertrav
Ditto on that!!!.

Slick looking 94.

You can tell it has been taken care of. Hope Dave gets it.
Thanks guys. This baby is what started my love of Fords. So many memories towing the speed boat, maybe 100 furniture moves, competition tailgating football games. It's just recently needed minor work. Front shocks, driver's seatbelt latch, passenger arm rest. Yesterday we did tune up parts, belts, and a new stereo.

That old 302 has yet to be opened. Couldn't find an oil leak yesterday, and he's still getting about 17mpg. It should be the perfect compliment to the bare bones war wagon I have now. A/C, padded seats, efi. It's only a matter of time, but hopefully me throwing some $ at him will ease it out of his hands.

As for the care- definitely. Up until he moved in '06 the same Ford dealer did all of the work. Before it left the lot he had that tonneau cover and a drop in bed liner installed. I told him yesterday- I don't know what amazed me more. The condition of the paint in the bed, or the fact that the outside isn't faded. He used to park this thing inside the mill when he was at work and it'd start raining.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Heres the broken valve spring (disregard the mess, the camera makes them look worse. I will clean everything up when I install new springs).

Now I know about most of the internals, punched .030 over with 4 valve relief pistons and D8OE heads as suspected. So far I have checked all the passenger side lifters, they are all good and flat. The lifters are by Comp Cams (CC832) so you can assume the cam is also a Comp, I just don't know which one.

Also notice "289" cast into the lifter valley.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I broke 75mph on level ground in my '80 F-150 (300-6, C6) today, for the first time ever. I credit my latest foray into the carburetor...I made some adjustments to the metering rod, and not only will it go faster, but it idles more smoothly, too. Go me!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday I ordered all the tie rods and sleeves for the 82.

Today I drove it to work and left the marker lights on all day. Starter only clicked after 8.5 hours of battery drain. Got a jump and back to normal.

Is there supposed to be a dinger for the lights after the ignition is off? I have never heard one in this truck.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Is there supposed to be a dinger for the lights after the ignition is off? I have never heard one in this truck.
It was an option, I installed one in my 1981. Of course, it later stopped working and I have yet to figure out why, but it's there.

Look in the Sticky, there's a thread started by Ralph (81-F-150-Explorer) entitled something like "Commonly-added options" or some such, I think it's under the Electrical section. I think the headlight-on buzzer is in there....

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only does this truck not have a headlight dinger, there is no harness either. The connector for the extension harness is there, so looks like another JY run.

Also got the seatbelt buzzer working by cleaning the contacts.

I usually hate buzzers, but it would have saved me a jump.

That thread you referred to is "All about seat belt, headlight-on, key-in-ignition buzzers"

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Yesterday I ordered all the tie rods and sleeves for the 82.

Today I drove it to work and left the marker lights on all day. Starter only clicked after 8.5 hours of battery drain. Got a jump and back to normal.

There was some really good info here. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-screw-up.html

I hope it helps.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What year heads are they? I have the ones I pulled off mine, only problem might be around one of the exhaust ports. It would probably be cheaper to come get them than ship. If you want them they're yours.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?