1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
So far the ZF5 thread is interesting even if it is a little above my head engineering wise. You're thinking about a rewrite for the ZF5 swap ?
Not exactly a rewrite, but a condensation. We've had several possible solutions, we've had conversations that weren't even related to ZF's, etc. So, I was thinking maybe a consolidation of all of that. But, I'm just thinking and won't start doing it until I see how things turn out as well as how the thread concludes. IOW, we'll see.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you back Bill!

Nothing heavy on the truck today. Tightened up a leaking coolant hose. I'd gotten the clamp on crooked it seems.

I did need one of the buckets I drained the radiator into for paint. I'd assumed there was at least some chemical beside water in the tank. But when I got to the bucket this is all I saw. Made me laugh out loud. Guess it was just rusty water.

I did take a peek. What's in the overflow, and in the radiator, is still green.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave804
Good to see you back Bill!

Nothing heavy on the truck today. Tightened up a leaking coolant hose. I'd gotten the clamp on crooked it seems.

I did need one of the buckets I drained the radiator into for paint. I'd assumed there was at least some chemical beside water in the tank. But when I got to the bucket this is all I saw. Made me laugh out loud. Guess it was just rusty water.

I did take a peek. What's in the overflow, and in the radiator, is still green.

I try to back-flush and refill the radiator coolant in all of my vehicles at least every two or three years just to make sure and keep the build-up and corrision to a minimum.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Yea Dave, this is by far the worst I've had. PO told me several times about the benefits of using mix your own coolant. I guarantee he used straight tap water. Truck also had no thermostat and a new tstat housing. So it was probably just straight water by the time I got it.

Spent a few hours flushing both directions with pressurized water, until I got clean. I'm thinking in a month or so I'll need to flush again to get any residual.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A coolant filter would catch the particles....

Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did a little work on my 400's cylinder heads. Cleaned the coolant passages out, tapped all the bolt holes, cleaned up the gasket surfaces, cleaned off the rest of the oil, and cleaned up the valve seats.

I'm a little worried about the valve guides. After installing both intake and exhaust valves into their proper guides, I could wobble the valves back and forth. I don't have a dial indicator (yet) to check the clearance, but I'd imagine that I shouldn't be able to wobble the valves in their guides.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Did a little work on my 400's cylinder heads. Cleaned the coolant passages out, tapped all the bolt holes, cleaned up the gasket surfaces, cleaned off the rest of the oil, and cleaned up the valve seats.

I'm a little worried about the valve guides. After installing both intake and exhaust valves into their proper guides, I could wobble the valves back and forth. I don't have a dial indicator (yet) to check the clearance, but I'd imagine that I shouldn't be able to wobble the valves in their guides.
You shouldn't be able to wiggle them much, if any.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
You shouldn't be able to wiggle them much, if any.
And that's why I'm worried.

I'll pick up a dial indicator this week and then go from there.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And that's why I'm worried.

I'll pick up a dial indicator this week and then go from there.
While not of the quality to use every day, the Harbor Freight ones work pretty well.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
There are oversize valves available.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ctubutis
There are oversize valves available.
I'm still trying to keep this a low budget build, but that isn't going well at all.

With the way things are going, I'll probably send the block off to the machine shop to have it checked out. If it checks out, then I may increase my budget accordingly.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Dave804
Postmaster

Haha, low budget hardly ever does Shaun. I've bought a couple cars with the intent of repair and resell that've left the house in pieces.

Started making my birthday list today. So far I've got various tie downs and bed accessories, 3.55 Grizzly locker, & Walker Black.

Y'all have any other truck must haves?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
ctubutis
I'm still trying to keep this a low budget build, but that isn't going well at all.
Shocking!

The 400 that came in my truck, I was told it was rebuilt but the guy couldn't tell me exactly what that meant or what was done to it. He also told me the PO before him was his boss (or some such) who treated the thing beautifully, replaced parts when necessary, all sorts of other what turned out to be total BS that led me to believe it was well-cared-for. What a crock THAT turned out to be!!!

A few years after I got it, while it ran well and was strong, it started making a puff of blue smoke on startup.

I was hoping to get away with valve guide seals (which I had watched my father do on his Boss 302 Mustang as a kid) but decided to pull and disassemble the engine to check it out. I mean, if it was done by a reputable shop, I can just put everything back together like it was, right?

Ha!!!!!!

Finding RTV was used on the head gaskets, as ludicrous as that is, I didn't know any better and didn't think much about it at the time.

Removing the oil pan and finding a handful of blue RTV chunks, now, THAT clicked in my brain as this having been rebuilt by an amateur.

This was confirmed when removing the pistons and seeing the ring gaps lined up(!).

And the rigged-up manner in which they installed the oil pump and its pickup tube.

And, the bearings were showing copper, and the heads were cracked, and... and... and....

$3,300 later to the machinist and about another $1,000 in related costs, I had an entirely different engine 6 months later.

Valve guide seals... yeah, right............... Budget rebuild....... yeah, right.

But, you learn an AWFUL lot, and develop a certain respect for those who rebuild engines professionally and know what they're doing.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
What did I do to my truck today? Nada. Well, actually, I did measure some more on the clutch and flywheel and modified the CAD drawing for the ZF5 swap while I was waiting for the grass to dry. Yes, you read right, waiting for the grass to dry. Had to mow today but it was supposed to get just over 100 so I wanted to mow in the morning, but the condensation had the grass drenched so I had to wait.

Finally got to start mowing at 11:00 and mowed for an hour before having to clean up to go to the dentist. He gave me the option - a root canal or go home and mow. I chose the root canal 'cause it was HOT out there! Sat in the chair 2.5 hrs and still have to go back two more times. But, when I got home my wife had finished mowing!!!!

Picked up my daughter and our 11 month-old grandtwins this evening, so nothing will be normal around the house for a week. Y'all may have to get along w/o me a bit, but I hope to be posting some new mug shots soon.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
...while I was waiting for the grass to dry. Yes, you read right, waiting for the grass to dry. Had to mow today but it was supposed to get just over 100 so I wanted to mow in the morning, but the condensation had the grass drenched so I had to wait.
Condensation? Whazzat?

Ah, yes, I seem to remember now... the water in the air that finds its way to solid surfaces overnight.

We hit 105°F today, tying the all-time record for any date in history.

Humidity is at 5%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?