Retail BioD

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Retail BioD

Is BioD that far in decline? I've been trying to find a local retailer for BioD in Missouri...and there's only a handful in the SW part of the state; or at least according to Nearbio.org. I'm not in the position to make my own fuel...but would like to do my part to support those that are. Guess isn't another one of those things that would make since, but since the feds are involded...

Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read that there are problems with the distribution system for Bio-d. The bio-d is not easy for the trucks to transport. After a load of bio is delivered, they have to rinse out the trucks with diesel. Sometimes there is precipitate that drops out of the bio-d and the trucks have to be cleaned. The oil and fats used to make the bio-d are not standard so the production may be different batch to batch.

I think until we start growing specific crops to make bio-d with virgin oils, we won't see bio-d at pumps unless there is a local company producing bio-d and selling it to local fuel stations. For example, in Louisville, KY there is a bio-d producer that can supply about 8 fuel stations.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's mostly a cost thing. When dinodiesel was approching $5/gal a couple of years ago this forum was hopping! Plants where being built everywhere...When the price of diesel went down all the interest went away. Untill the price of diesel goes back up it will stay that way.

Some of us are still working to promote the use of biodiesel, but it's an up hill battle for now.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I figure we'd see even fewer biodiesel pumps today, were it not for the 2010 extension of the tax credit. It's hard for me to imagine how these biodiesel producers could sustain business without the $1/gallon credit.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most around here is 5% and that is all east river. There is a site that lists stations that sell it, but like you said there aren't very many...

Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
Most around here is 5% and that is all east river. There is a site that lists stations that sell it, but like you said there aren't very many...
That's what I was seeing...mostly B2 & B5. Not exactly what I was looking for...and considering the nearest one to where I'm working is 45 miles...not sure it would be worth the effort. Though it's better than nothing I reckon. Don, if you ever run for President and campaign on a permanent endorsement of biomass fuels...I'd vote for you in a heart beat.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would second...

Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Joddy Moore
New User
The tax credit did not extend in 2010 and still has not. I wish it would.

Quote: were it not for the 2010 extension of the tax credit. It's hard for me to imagine how these biodiesel producers could sustain business without the $1/gallon credit

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joddy Moore
The tax credit did not extend in 2010 and still has not. I wish it would.

Quote: were it not for the 2010 extension of the tax credit. It's hard for me to imagine how these biodiesel producers could sustain business without the $1/gallon credit
I was under the impression the senate passed a retroactive reinstatement until December 2010.

Did I misinterpret this? :
U.S. Biodiesel Lives to See Another Day: Tax Credit Back!:Greentech Media

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by binuya
I was under the impression the senate passed a retroactive reinstatement until December 2010.

Did I misinterpret this? :
U.S. Biodiesel Lives to See Another Day: Tax Credit Back!:Greentech Media
I'd say you didn't misinterpret it; but with only 9 months (when first approved by congress) you wouldn't see much impact. Where I'm working (SW Missouri) at one time (around '04 or '05) one of the poultry companies Cargill, Tyson or Butterball was trying to get a turkey fat/skin feedstock BioD plant up and going. Found out this week that the plant never got up and going to full scale because the community around it was worried about the smell and possible fire hazard related to production. So, basically the NIBies win again

Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
MZ5
Junior User
There's B20 here, and we use it whenever we have a choice. Don't know for sure what the local guys' stuff is made from, but given the large-scale production of rapeseed in Idaho, I sort of assumed that was the source.

Properly made, I believe biodiesel to be better for the engines than conventional. I can say for certain that not all biodiesel is well or properly made, though (unfortunately).

OBTW-- The B20 here is basically the same price as regular.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MZ5
OBTW-- The B20 here is basically the same price as regular.
Where is here?