6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Trading in 2010 250 ?s

Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just got one from an old Taurus we have not had for years...

Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Everyone knows these are just marketing campaigns that use DMV databases to send customized letters to potential buyers? It's a pretty powerful and effective ploy. They flatter you by saying they need your awesome current vehicle and will pay you top dollar for it. In reality, they give you a normal trade-in value on a normal new sale deal. Personalization in mass marketing is the key in this campaign.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
I think the dealer will be highly Pi$$ed if you do not disclose the tuner at the time of trade in. They may even take legal action since the remaining warranty will be blown for the next buyer. You should have taken that into consideration prior to installing a Tuna. I got 32K for my 08 6.4 last June but I think they are swamped with trades that they can't sell now.
What is it with all the tuner haters. I would obviously disclose my tuning of the truck. I had my spartan set up installed at the dealership!! My question was whether or not having the old dpf and cat installed or not would affect the price I was quoted on the trade in. Seeing as the used car manager would probably price it out would he assume he needed to reinstall the dpf and cat.
I didnt buy this truck expecting to trade it in within a year. I didnt tune it expecting to trade it in within a year, I didnt tint the windows expecting to trade it in within the year or install a 5th wheel hitch or a bed cover or buy new tires and wheels expecting to trade it in. That is why Im asking the question.
Things come up, circumstances change and I had an opportunity to get into a 6.7. I had a simple question. Sorry if my personal life is effecting yours.
STM

Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
having a DPF delete kit on your 6.4, are you really going to see the benefit of the 6.7 you already have the power and fuel mileage of the 6.7 right?? the interior is the same right?? I don't see what you are gaining. I think you are loosing a ton on depreciation. I think a good idea for you is to keep the 2010 for 2 more years, the bugs will be worked out of the 6.7 by then, and at that point you are likely not having to pay out of pocket to trade up.

also trading in a diesel truck is a terrible idea, I checked on trading my '06 dodge diesel, the ford dealer offered me 17,500 for it. I had it sold in a few days for 22k, a used car dealer actually bought it from out of state, he thought he could make some money on it even at 22k.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
I left my tuner in during the appraisal at the dealer. They said man that thing really runs good

They told me at one dealer they would give me 29,000 for my 08 F250
V-10 with 64,000 miles

But i ended up at another dealer who gave me 27,500 trade in.
I order the truck Yesterday but i am trying to sell it out right for 30K

Last edited by Tom Hoffman; 10-21-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: fix sentence
Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
seanjackmc
Senior User
Thanks again for the replys. You all make really good points. Somtimes I get the itch and want to get the latest and greatest. My truck is awsome. All of those with a Spartan tuned 6.4 can attest, these things kick butt. I thought the one thing i didnt like about my truck was the interior. My buddy as a 2010 cummins and the inside of his is like a cadillac. Mine doesnt even have adjustable headrests. Truth be told is I owe 33k on this truck and have 4 more years of payments. To trade it in and have a loan of 45 or so for another 5 years doesnt make sense and Im at 0% right now. Best rate I saw on line was 4.9 thru ford.
Thanks for talking me off the ledge guys and my wife says thanks too!
STM

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
that is what sucks about getting 0% instead of cash incentives, if you trade in early you don't realize the savings by selling right now it will be as if you got NO incentive. the other reason is you also pay more sales tax because you are paying more for the truck with 0%. remember after you have made a couple of payments a new truck isn't that cool anymore.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I have another take on the dpf delete, after taking my diesel manual with me on a trip and reading it in detail, ....... twice. Mine says any modification or removal of any exhaust, or noise prevention device, is a federal violation. Doesn't the 2010 manual say something like that too? If it does I would not be advertising to everyone that I just broke the federal law. Just sayin.

Plus I wouldn't think a dealership would even take it knowing it violated the law. Maybe if, like you said, they would consider fixing it.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman
I left my tuner in during the appraisal at the dealer. They said man that thing really runs good

They told me at one dealer they would give me 29,000 for my 08 F250
V-10 with 64,000 miles

But i ended up at another dealer who gave me 27,500 trade in.
I order the truck Yesterday but i am trying to sell it out right for 30K
Those numbers are obviously trade figures, not ACV. There was an 08 Lariat V10 with 7000 miles on ebay for the last month or so. Loaded CC LWB with everything. Couldn't get a single bid at $29,990. When you consider that in 08 Ford was discounting new super duties $12K-$14K and the list of a stuffed Lariat was $46K it's hard to imagine that anyone would pay what amounts to full retail from 2 years ago ($46K less $13K discount = $33K) today.

But you never know....I sold my 05 for what I paid for it 4 years ago last month.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was looking at a 10 SRW 4x4 instead of my 08 DRW 4x2 to eak out a little more mileage (3.55 rear vs 4.10), but the best offer I received was a 29k trade value altho KBB and NADA were more near 33,000. I might have been willing to add a year for the difference, but not take a 10% loss too.
and I'd LOVE an 11, but in DRW (prefered) the mileage improvement doesn't cover the cost difference, even over 5 or 6 yrs.

Sam

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
machine62
Senior User
Since trade values are being discussed, the dealer is giving me 27,500 for my 08 eddie bauer expedition with 40k miles! I think that's a really good price considering I only paid 23,800 two years ago. I guess the market has really turned around. How often do you actually profit from trading in a vehicle?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM
VAJeff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
that is what sucks about getting 0% instead of cash incentives, if you trade in early you don't realize the savings by selling right now it will be as if you got NO incentive. the other reason is you also pay more sales tax because you are paying more for the truck with 0%. remember after you have made a couple of payments a new truck isn't that cool anymore.
True. With many rebates, you can still find very attractive rates. I believe right now Bank of America and Capital One are offering rates in the low to mid 3's for 60 and 72 month loans.

The sales tax in some states though, (I believe in mine, VA) is calculated on the price prior to any trades or rebates.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
VAJeff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I was looking at a 10 SRW 4x4 instead of my 08 DRW 4x2 to eak out a little more mileage (3.55 rear vs 4.10), but the best offer I received was a 29k trade value altho KBB and NADA were more near 33,000. I might have been willing to add a year for the difference, but not take a 10% loss too.
and I'd LOVE an 11, but in DRW (prefered) the mileage improvement doesn't cover the cost difference, even over 5 or 6 yrs.

Sam
I have never seen a dealer actually offer KBB or NADA on a trade. At least not the Trade numbers we see on the consumer sites. I know that for NADA, dealers see a different book than we do. They always come back with some reasoning why they can not do that number.

I feel like the consumer site of NADA must be inflated to get our hopes up and into a dealership!

I say this, with one exception. NADA and KBB on my 02 Excursion PSD is much lower than what any dealer has offered me for a trade. Considerably lower. The actual Market Value on the old 7.3 is much higher than what is published.

I am trying to get rid of the X and a VW Eos (wifes car) to move into an 11 F350. They can not even reach a number close to what I see on NADA for the Eos.

We have time on our hands, so I will sell the X on my own as soon as camping season is done. The Eos is a lease that we have a last payment on in April. If a dealer wants some year end business bad enough, and I have cash from the X and the Eos, they will need to get close to my pay off on the Eos (which is not far off from the Trade values in the "consumer" version of the books). If not, I will order one in the Jan time frame with a hopeful March delivery.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Trade in values on 08-2010"s have tanked. I've seen dealers retailing a used 2010 for what the NADA average trade in value is. I did a comparison on 2-3 trucks 2010 Crew Cab fully loaded and the average retail asking price was $5,000 below NADA retail.

Maybe after the 2010's are all cleared out the 08-2010's trade in value will improve. My dealer has more used 08's than they can fit on the lot. That will drive down the trade in values even more.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
mrpositraction
Tuned
Check around to different dealers, my local dealer doesn't have any 10's on the lot and only a few used on the lot. They have about 15 250/350 11's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading in 2010 250 ?s