1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

"Stinky's" injectors are just about done - input time!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
"Stinky's" injectors are just about done - input time!

I just bought a bunch of coolant stuff to install and I heard a new injector noise when the engine was cold yesterday. I have 255,000 miles on my stock injectors and I recently got a "bump" in cash [LINK], plus I've been saving up with the knowledge that my injectors are about due anyway. I'm going to do this proper because I want the next round of injectors to go another 1/4-million miles. I don't think I want the cups to go 1/2-million miles before replacement, so I feel this would be the perfect time to go all-out.

I am in the middle of summer rebuilds at work, so I have no spare time - I barely have time to research this and acquire all the parts. I have a good diesel mechanic that is reasonably priced and his specialty is modding. He has installed parts I've purchased before (pre-turbo exhaust) because my choices are not in his catalog.

Now... the fun part for you guys - suggestions. I tow, but not heavy. MPG and reliability has always been on the forefront of my mods (as well as price), and everything you have helped me with has been successful (wood knocking here). I am looking at the idea of single-shots (I hear MPG and power goes up), and I haven't yet ruled out sending my stockers in for rebuild/mods. I know Jody will get a call and I'll get some emails with modified tunes for the different injectors if I go that way. My goal is to keep the parts down to a couple of grand, but I know how easy it is to blow past this and I have enough saved enough to address the cling-ons. Keep in mind what you would want to do to your truck (with my goals in mind) if you had the means, but wanted to keep as much of your green as possible.

Let the fun begin!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Tug, remember I asked this question about singles and mpg a few months back and got a response from Cody? Not much difference at speed because demand is low anyway. I have seen this to be true with the install of an hpop gauge. Plus you don't get as smooth or quiet an idle. But I was thinking of changing just for mpg, not cause I need new injectors, or more power, which I don't. You need new injectors so maybe it makes sense for you. I do remember that my 95 psd wasn't as quiet as my 99, and I bought that new also.
Jim.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week I drove to Colorado (825 miles) and I was really excited to find out how the single shots and 80e would affect my fuel mileage. Before the injectors and chip I would get consistent 17.6 mpg @ 65 mph. At the first fuel stop I figured up my mileage and it was 17.3, I was a little disappointed. For the next leg I decided to set the cruise at 70 mph and at the next fuel stop I had 17.4 mpg. This is a small victory as before injectors and tuner I would drop to 16 mpg @ 70 mph.

On the trip back I did not get to do much experimenting because I had a large refrigerator on that was acting as a large sail and a 20 mph head wind so I ran around 14 mpg.

I think I am getting too much fuel with the 80e tune though (I am posting another thread about it) and have been in contact with DPTuner about it. I think I will drop to the 60e to try to get better mileage.

That being said my main concern was not mileage, I was hoping to get a little better but if I stay consistent that is fine with me. The power increase is incredible though.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My fuel economy remained the same after switching injectors. I did gain huge in power, and much lower EGT's.

Don't buy single shots as an attempt to gain fuel economy. You'll never see the benefit. Buy them for power, buy them as replacements when the stockers are gone, buy them for any other reason. Just don't expect to buy them for better mileage and think that you'll recoup the costs that way. It just doesn't happen.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Keep in mind what you would want to do to your truck (with my goals in mind) if you had the means, but wanted to keep as much of your green as possible.

Let the fun begin!
Well with that in mind and the recent InstaLift you received I have a few things that I would do.

Now that I have stage 1 injectors in I keep having this thought in the back of my mind that I need to feed them better. A new hpop is on my list of things I want to do. Oh wait I just saw your sig and you already have a T500 and FRx.

Ok then the other thing I would want to do is LineX or RhinoLine the rocker panels and color match. I know not a performance mod but what good is having an engine that will go 1/2 million miles or more if the rest of the truck won't.

The other 2 things I want are a new tranny (which again you already have) and an ATS ported compressor housing.

I would still recommend if you are going to replace injectors step up to stage 1, it was only $100 more over stockers.

So thats where I would spend my money. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 1 Single Shots, either new AC's or FullForce builds, and 1.0 exhaust housing, unless you are wanting a new turbo. Longevity, and a good reliable, proven setup.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Great feedback guys!

Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
Hey Tug, remember I asked this question about singles and mpg a few months back and got a response from Cody?
I forgot about that and re-reading it reminded me of why I didn't lock that in: You were specifically looking at the ACs and they have less fuel per shot than the ADs. If I were to do single-shot, I wouldn't want to go down in performance unless I got a big boost in economy. I do remember what I learned from your post - those with 7.3L in the OBS are diasappointed with the economy in the SD because of the incredible weight gain.

Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Last week I drove to Colorado (825 miles) and I was really excited to find out how the single shots and 80e would affect my fuel mileage. Before the injectors and chip I would get consistent 17.6 mpg @ 65 mph....
For the next leg I decided to set the cruise at 70 mph and at the next fuel stop I had 17.4 mpg. This is a small victory as before injectors and tuner I would drop to 16 mpg @ 70 mph....
I think I am getting too much fuel with the 80e tune though (I am posting another thread about it) and have been in contact with DPTuner about it. I think I will drop to the 60e to try to get better mileage.

That being said my main concern was not mileage, I was hoping to get a little better but if I stay consistent that is fine with me. The power increase is incredible though.
This right here doesn't surprise me in the least. Every mod I've done either gives me no increase in MPG or an almost immeasurable gain, but no losses (yet). BUT - like you, every mod is a noticeable power gain... some small, a few big.

80e is my power tune, but it was my perfect tune before the T500. It now rolls coal, puts my boost into SES light range, and it can trip my EGT alarm if I really put it to it on a climb. 60e is the new perfection. It stops just shy of the boost SES alarm, it's clean, it has great throttle control (80e is always touchy), and I get a 1 MPG bump in economy over the 80e. Passing on two-lanes and the over-shooting on cruise control is what hurts the 80e economy (on my truck).

Originally Posted by Pocket
My fuel economy remained the same after switching injectors. I did gain huge in power, and much lower EGT's.

Don't buy single shots as an attempt to gain fuel economy. You'll never see the benefit. Buy them for power, buy them as replacements when the stockers are gone, buy them for any other reason. Just don't expect to buy them for better mileage and think that you'll recoup the costs that way. It just doesn't happen.
Yup, as mentioned above. I hand-calculate every tank and I learned one thing: Get the stock stuff working right, get all sensors 100% accurate, fix all exhaust leaks, make sure it tracks straight, etc.... This is where all of my economy gains came from, but the MAP sensor and T500 were so close together, I never got a chance to see which of those made a difference. I'll say this, there was a big gain in MPG after the T500/MAP sensor repair and upgrade. Power gains - yah... after almost each mod.

Originally Posted by GonzoCSU
Well with that in mind and the recent InstaLift you received I have a few things that I would do.

Now that I have stage 1 injectors in I keep having this thought in the back of my mind that I need to feed them better. A new hpop is on my list of things I want to do. Oh wait I just saw your sig and you already have a T500 and FRx.

Boy howdy... this was a bump in go. The stage ones actually reduce the demand for oil, so I don't know what the T500 will do to help. Here's what I saw in AE: My stock tune did exactly what it was supposed to do, with the oil pressure it was supposed to have. My elevated-HP tunes asked for big fuel and that would kill the oil pressure - I would lose 900-1000 PSI. Enter the T500 and I get almost all of it back (and a real OMG factor to the acceleration), but I suspect tired injectors are oozing oil instead of using oil to hammer fuel out. If I were to guess... stage one injectors will give you more fuel and demand less oil, so oil pressure comes up for better atomization and you're in happy mode. I know the T500 brings up the oil pressure and I get fuel faster, as well as better atomization - so I'm suffering from perma-grin. The two combined? I'm about to find out. This could be a situation where I just end up leaving a little "present" in my chonies for the wife.

Ok then the other thing I would want to do is LineX or RhinoLine the rocker panels and color match. I know not a performance mod but what good is having an engine that will go 1/2 million miles or more if the rest of the truck won't.

Not a bad thought. We don't get a lot of rust here (no salt on roads), but it's still a good thought. Vehicles around here last for-freaking-ever. My wife's Jeep Cherokee Loredo is an 86 and it looks like it came off the lot 6 months ago. She gets offers on it all the time.

The other 2 things I want are a new tranny (which again you already have) and an ATS ported compressor housing.

I would still recommend if you are going to replace injectors step up to stage 1, it was only $100 more over stockers.

So thats where I would spend my money. Let us know what you end up doing.
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Stage 1 Single Shots, either new AC's or FullForce builds, and 1.0 exhaust housing, unless you are wanting a new turbo. Longevity, and a good reliable, proven setup.
I haven't ruled out a T38R. I get 30 PSI right quick as it is and I know I'm pushing the stocker. I'd have to find a buyer for my stocker before I upgrade, that's too much money to toss at a working item.

"Longevity, and a good reliable, proven setup." Those are lyrics to my favorite song.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tug do you think you will EVER want do step up past 450 hp???

Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You've heard the saying, "These results may not be typical." This seems to hold true for my truck. I drove my truck for 2 yrs using the 60e tune because Jody recommended it as my daily driver and should yield the best economy. The 60e did perform well and provided less smoke, but as an experiment I switched to the 80e for awhile. The 80e seems to play better with my driving style and yields about .5-1 mpg better. Even on interstate drivng, at speeds above 70 mph, I seem to see a slight improvement over the 60e. I have Stage 2+ singles and live tuning. All on my tunes, including the modified stock, have been tweaked to my liking. I believe it is my combination of mods (listed in my sig), working well together, that has netted these results. While my mpgs aren't the greatest (15-15.5 city and 17-17.5 mpg highway), Im pleased with the balance of economy and power I have received with single shots and live tuning. Thanks DP Tuner and Full Force Diesel!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rat49f6
tug do you think you will EVER want do step up past 450 hp???
Nahh.... The goal was never more power, just best efficiency, longevity, and durability. I might have to change my sig because I haven't seen anything under 18 MPG for several tanks now, but winter fuel may drop me down to 17 MPG. Power gains for each mod has been a very happy byproduct and my initial goal was 320 HP, but I think I already blew way past that. Woodnthings has a similar setup to mine and he pulled over 400 at a recent dyno. He and I are looking at tunes, AE data, and what's next to solve a little anomaly we see in our data. This could be the silver bullet to solve the mystery and I'll be the first one to pull the trigger because I'm the first one to reach the appropriate situation.

Originally Posted by mueckster
You've heard the saying, "These results may not be typical." This seems to hold true for my truck. I drove my truck for 2 yrs using the 60e tune because Jody recommended it as my daily driver and should yield the best economy. The 60e did perform well and provided less smoke, but as an experiment I switched to the 80e for awhile. The 80e seems to play better with my driving style and yields about .5-1 mpg better. Even on interstate drivng, at speeds above 70 mph, I seem to see a slight improvement over the 60e. I have Stage 2+ singles and live tuning. All on my tunes, including the modified stock, have been tweaked to my liking. I believe it is my combination of mods (listed in my sig), working well together, that has netted these results. While my mpgs aren't the greatest (15-15.5 city and 17-17.5 mpg highway), Im pleased with the balance of economy and power I have received with single shots and live tuning. Thanks DP Tuner and Full Force Diesel!
That's about the same economy I had when I bought Stinky off the lot. Your mods look to be chain-breakers for the leash that held the beast back, where mine are specifically targetted for a different set of goals. I'd see your back bumper off the line, but as you fuel up, you'd see mine while I was driving to a filling station in the next county. I have live-tuning by proxy. I would conduct tests with AE recording and send the data with my observations to Jody. He would then email me the improvements and into the F6 they would go. My tunes are dialed beautifully and I couldn't think of any reason to change what I have - other than to compensate for the new injectors when this is done. You and I are very satisfied with our trucks and that's money well-utilized.
Congratulations on yours!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were me I would look into stage 1's and a van turbo or super 66

Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Ok... I'm scrounging for parts this weekend and I can't stay focused on the injector thing until this evening. Meanwhile, I'm thinking single-shots between a stock AD and 160. A little bump in go juice can't hurt, but I'd have to turbo up before I can clean-burn more than what I already have. I see no mention of cups here, does anybody have input on this?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Tug, i really have nothing to offer here, bud, because i dont know much about the injectors and or how tuning corresponds with it, but my pennies would say to do the cups, bro. The factories ithere lasted 200K+. Since your in there, wouldn't you be able to crash..aka sleep, at night, knowing you installed new cuppies?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
The factories ithere lasted 200K+. Since your in there, wouldn't you be able to crash..aka sleep, at night, knowing you installed new cuppies?
That was my thought. I just wanted to make sure somebody didn't jump in and say "Cups should last forever, replace only as needed". I would then watch the debate ensue (popcorn in hand) and collect information. It sounds like there's no debate here. I guess I made a good (but boring) call. Thanks!

I'm getting down to order time. I'll be doing some research on the all the sales pitches and types of injectors, but I'd like some real-world input. FullForce has the plan I like, and I'm looking at the 160s (since everything on the truck can now handle the HP boost). Before I whip out the Buck$Zooka, I need to learn two things:
  1. The difference (pros/cons) between Stage 1, Stage 2 and Hybrid injectors.
  2. I can only hope the price on the site is for a set of 8. I plugged in a quantity of 8 (with cores) and lost all my bodily fluid containment functions.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:00 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Tug you said you have all of your tunes dialed in the way you like them. If you go with ss your going to have to start that all over again arnt you?
If you are looking at the differences between stageI and stage II injectors, you already know the answer... more fuel. With more fuel your getting away from your original intentions with the truck.
I asked the question of ss vs split shots mileage 2 years ago and some said no difference and most said only .5mpg gain, but never a loss.
Yes the price is for a set of 8.
You already have the transmission, F6, intake, exhaust, gauges and HPOP to support stock to mild sticks. If you go any further with them you get into having to do the turbo, head studs, etc., big money things that are pushing you more to POWER. I think you need to ask yourself at this point if your goals for the truck are changing or not.

Quick Reply: "Stinky's" injectors are just about done - input time!