General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What is behind CHINA buying up world resources?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is behind CHINA buying up world resources?

How and why is China able to pay to collect all of our resources when they were such a minimal producer not long ago?

It puzzles me...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,583 Likes on 1,291 Posts
We fill our landfills with their cheap goods, they fill their pockets with our dollars.

They go out into the free market and buy buy buy. Why wouldn't they?

Interesting, if you search 'china buying up resources', you get hits going back several years from all kinds of sites and publications talking about US, Australian, & African buys, amongst others.

We were able to skin the Japanese alive (financially) when they overbought here in the 1980s. Since the economy is in the dumps now, perhaps the Chinese investor will be the one to make all the money this time. (buying low, will sell back high, just like we would...)

Old 10-19-2010, 12:33 AM
tempforce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we buy products from them, with their currency fixed to ours. giving them an advantage. our currency is devaluing due to our debt. they hold over a 1/4 of our debt, then we continue borrowing money from them to finance our debt. we lock up our own resources, put regulations our own companies which then move manufactuing out of the county, putting more people out of work. thus less taxes to pay on the debt. then we have un-funded obligations coming due, which if we don't change our regulations and tax structure to let business return or to invest. we are going to be in a worse situation than greece is now. or even the confederate states after the civil war.
almost all of the members of the current party in power are lawyers. writing code and laws only a lawyer can understand. what we need is all of them (both parties) replaced with people who understands business practices.
cc

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Saying China has been a minimal producer really isn't accurate. We've been paying them to make our stuff for decades.

I was in a shoe factory in Guangzhou China in the early '90's. They made shoes for Nike and others. It was a BIG factory that employed 10's if not 100's of thousands of workers. This was 20 years ago and it was by no means a new place and it was just one of 1000's of factories in China.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My best Greek friend tells me that generations of Greeks have not paid taxes at all, and they were not punished. Now, they are so used to NOT paying any taxes that they feel put upon that the govt is demanding that they pay up.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish we could got back to 1950. No computer no cell phones, fast cars, you had real sugar in your food,not high fructose corn syrup making people over weight.

People said hi walking down the street, things were built to last and not fail in 5 years so you had to buy another one.....should I go on...lol

Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
China's communist party has decided to embrace capitalism as a means to achieve their agenda of world dominance, a velvet glove over a iron fist...........Yes, they have a real agenda, and we are on it.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Years ago the Chinese were making poor quality products, just as the Japanese were right after WW II. Now they are making much better products in some of their lines and gradually becoming a real world economic power. They are incredibly fast learners and very adaptable now, which they were not 50 years ago. The Germans, and japanese didn't win WW II but they have won the financial war since then. Now the Chinese are working towards winning the current economic war, getting any money that the Arabs let us have after buying thei oil.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of the cheap junk made in china is just that....cheap junk.

They can definitely make good stuff there if they want to- just look at Gear Wrenches, they cost a pretty penny and they're made in China, and they don't seem to be junk (I have a couple sets and I love them, but for what they cost they oughta be US-made). But, people want cheap crap so that's the majority of what is made there.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
I can see this heading for the club........

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outsourcing. China has a huge population. You could move the factories to Mexico, but you'd eventually run out of Mexicans and have to pay them more money. China has more people. Their economy will continue to grow as long as there are jobs left to outsource. Wages aren't going to enter the picture for a while. They have hundreds of millions of people, and an authoritarian government to keep them in line.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
China has plenty of competition from India's billion or so workers. And they are better educated.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
US China Trade Deficit - Why the US Trade Deficit with China Is Important

This is a really good link that dumbs it down for people like me.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
China will continue it's rise in producing the goods the world wants for as long as people are willing to buy inferior products and throw them away when they break and then go buy the same thing just because it's cheaper than the better quality goods made here or elsewhere.
China only allows a few of it's smartest and most obediant to become well educated, not the masses. The Chinese that get out of line get shot and the imported hired brains can always be sent packing if they step out of line. Or worse, prison. I dont think I have ever heard of any union strife in China.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
China will continue it's rise in producing the goods the world wants for as long as people are willing to buy inferior products and throw them away when they break and then go buy the same thing just because it's cheaper than the better quality goods made here or elsewhere.
China only allows a few of it's smartest and most obediant to become well educated, not the masses. The Chinese that get out of line get shot and the imported hired brains can always be sent packing if they step out of line. Or worse. I dont think I have ever heard of any union strife in China.
Actually, very recently at a Honda plant in China, the workers are organizing as they are tired of low wages and poor working conditions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is behind CHINA buying up world resources?