6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

oil additive ZDDP?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:53 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,696 Posts
oil additive ZDDP?

Interesting read on the oil additive ZDDP (zinc and phosphorous)

Adding ZDDP to your motor oil - Page 3 - TheDieselGarage.com

Old 10-17-2010, 04:37 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
It would be interesting to get a chemical analysis of the Rev-X and ZDDP just for grins and giggles to see the differences in the zinc and phosphorous levels of the two. I'm not a motor oil additive guy either, but as cheap as the ZDDP is, if it adds "life" to the oil (and motor) then it's definitely worth the price.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,696 Posts
If we could get someone to post up their oil analysis, type/brand of oil, etc for "before and after Rev X", we might get an idea if there is truth to them being the same.

I agree with you Tim, I am not an oil additive guy either, but the emissions limits definitely have required changes to very successful formulations of the past!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,437 Likes on 887 Posts
I'm not an oil additive pusher either, but last year when my engine started experiencing stiction problems so bad that my truck would barely pull itself out of the driveway I had to do something. That something was trying the Rev X and it surprisingly fixed the stiction issue without a doubt.

I don't have any oil analysis of this stuff but if anyone wants to know the true difference between these two additives needs to do a virgin oil analysis (VOA).

BTW... I would'nt hesitate recommending to anyone who has the latest Ford flash with inductive heating and still suffers from cold morning stiction problems to give the Rev X a try. I'm currently not using any Rev X since the Ford flash so far has fixed my stiction issue.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:59 AM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm also a strong advocate of not using any oil additives, i am a firm believer if you start out with a high quality oil all of the additives that are required are already in the oil.

Now with that being said i am on my second 6.0 with well over 200,000mi. combined and i have never experienced "injector stiction", and i'm suprised at how many threads i run across with people having these issues.

I'm not a believer in luck, so that can be ruled out. I have always run to 7,500mi. OCI's, which after being on here for the last several years I am definitely in the minority.

I just can't figure out why all of the injector issues

Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by roadrunner01
I'm also a strong advocate of not using any oil additives, i am a firm believer if you start out with a high quality oil all of the additives that are required are already in the oil.

Now with that being said i am on my second 6.0 with well over 200,000mi. combined and i have never experienced "injector stiction", and i'm suprised at how many threads i run across with people having these issues.

I'm not a believer in luck, so that can be ruled out. I have always run to 7,500mi. OCI's, which after being on here for the last several years I am definitely in the minority.

I just can't figure out why all of the injector issues
Roadrunner01,
What kind of oils (Brand & viscosity)have you used for the majority of your 200,000 miles?

Does your current truck have the injector buzz flash and/or the inductive heat flash?

Also runner a thinner oil (ie 5w-40 or 10w-30) will reduce the stiction issue. I'm maybe wrong, but my opinion is cold temp stiction problems mostly occur with 15w-40 oils. Having said that, I don't recommend 5w-40 oils because it caused my engine to leak oil something terrible, but it did eliminate the effects of injector stiction. I think these 6.0 injectors prefer a thinner oil for proper injector operation.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
other than the last three runs on 10w-30 (and the three proir runs of 5w-40 RTS) all of the other oc's were on john deere plus 50 15w-40.
as far as my latest programming, my ficm was replaced last winter and my programming was updated at that time, so as far as i know its the latest available.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As you posted elsewhere, the ZDDP was in fact reduced or eliminated due to the plugging effects it has on DPF's. It's long been known that ZDDP is a catalyst poison, and has been slowly reduced in oils for years.

Given the numbers on that thread WRT levels in current motor oil, I'm not sure it would ultimately do any good; however, there may be a "threshold" value that shows benefits.

Note that ZDDP is an extreme-pressure wear additive. It is commonly used in oils for motorcycles where the engine and the transmission share the same oil; indeed, motorcycle-specific oils go for $4-$6/qt, with this stuff at 1980's-high levels. Motorcycle enthusiasts were crying foul over this a decade ago. The first suggestion to alleviate the problem was to go buy diesel motor oil. This was when Motorcycle oil was $4-$5 a quart, and "normal" automotive oil was still $1.79 a quart.

Gears in motorcycle transmissions are often subject to the same kind of face loading that our injectors are subjected to. Another thread to pay close attention to.

-blaine

Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
other than the last three runs on 10w-30 (and the three proir runs of 5w-40 RTS) all of the other oc's were on john deere plus 50 15w-40.
as far as my latest programming, my ficm was replaced last winter and my programming was updated at that time, so as far as i know its the latest available.
Was the JD 50 plus a CI4 + or a CJ4 oil?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
currently its CI-4, i have enough for 3 more oil changes and then i'm on to CJ-4.

My dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse on the 10w-30, so I took all they had in stock, 11 bucks a gallon.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info Bismic; I use to add zddp in my '88 460cu. motor because of the old style lifters and cam. Newer motors have roller cams instead because of the lack of zinc in oils.
I think I still have some zddp in the garage and will try some in the 6.0. I noticed a slight rough idle in the motor the last week so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference. Since my cat died years ago at the hands of previous owner I have no risk of damage to it... I often wondered what it would hurt to add to engine oil in the diesel motor...

Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
P.s. Please keep us posted what your freinds on the other site learn as they use the additive. Thanks again. Doug.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:52 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
currently its CI-4, i have enough for 3 more oil changes and then i'm on to CJ-4.

My dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse on the 10w-30, so I took all they had in stock, 11 bucks a gallon.
It used to be CI-4, I looked on their website today and its been changed to CJ-4. Too bad, it was a great oil.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
It used to be CI-4, I looked on their website today and its been changed to CJ-4. Too bad, it was a great oil.

What makes you think that going CJ-4 will hurt it??

Old 10-18-2010, 08:51 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 69cj
What makes you think that going CJ-4 will hurt it??
I believe it was in the link by Bimic that the new oils will have less zinc due to the dppf exhaust systems...someone correct me if I am wrong, but that has been the reason for the reduction in all oils over the years..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil additive ZDDP?