1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 F150 5.4 Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:48 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 5.4 Starting Issue

My 01 F150 5.4 with 208K miles is having a starting issue. Did it again today, turns over, but won't fire. Problem has occurred a couple times in the past, but started after just a couple time of trying. Today however it took many times of turning it over I would say 5 or 6 times before it started. Seems like it's turning over kind of fast as well (faster than normal). Runs fine after it starts. Anyone experiance this issue?

thanks

Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
im having a similar problem with my 01 5.4 with 120,000 on it. it doesnt do it all the time just every once in a while, but when it doesnt fire the fire the first time if i let off on it and try it again away it goes, the fuel pump is new as well as the filter

Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
A no start can be ignition or fuel.
You have to find which it is then proceed to find the fault.
First thing that happens is the fuel pump runs about 1 second to begin to pressurize the fuel rails for easy start as the pressure need not to be totally up to full pressure.
Next, when the motor begins to turn over, the fuel pump is turned back on full time to finish the fuel pressure build.
At the front of the crank is a crank sensor that signals the PCM to begin the pump run full time and the ignition, so it can be a source of fault for both fuel and ignition. Check the plugup by reseating it.
The cam position sensor times the fuel injection according to fire order through PCM control. Check it's plugup.
Do not open the throttle more than about 7/8 or pump it.
It will not help.
Open more than 7/8 shuts off the fuel injection.
Pumping has no effect, like on a carburator. The full time fuel pressure and computer control runs the whole system.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
i replaced my crankshaft position sensor today... so far so good!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
slomafarms
Senior User
well i spoke too soon, its acting up again. dont know where to turn next. it has a new fuel pump, new filter, new idle air valve, new crank sensor

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
well, it died. So I went to the local auto parts to get oil for an oil change in my other truck, got ready to leave and it would not start. In the past, after a few minutes it would start. The parts store was kind enough to let me try a new fuel pump relay to see if that helped, no luck. Quick tow truck home and we are good for now. So I'm in need of some suggestions on where to start.

I don't think I hear the pump coming on, but hard to tell, so I need to find someone to help me listen.

Fuel Pump - can I check with a gauge? key on should have some presure right?

Anything electronic? Module? sensor etc? anyway to test the crank or camshaft sensors or is it just as easy to replace?

thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
cv18sro
Senior User
I helped a friend with a simular problem. It would not start unless you turn the key on several times. It was a fuel pressure issue. The pump was working but not putting out the pressure it needed. After it started in ran fine unless you had a load on it then it lost power. After a new pump was installed it worked perfectly. By the way he went through three from Checker and finally went to NAPA and no problems since. The checker parts either did not work or worked for a week or two. Hope this helps

Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
mine runs just fine once you get it started, the previous owner replaced the fuel pump also but it could be

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
Okay, so problem turned out to the be the fuel pump. I guess 208K is not too bad for a fuel pump. Spent all day sunday replacing it, purchased the entire unit, new sending relay etc. (178 bucks). Got it all back together running great however (there's always a however) the engine light came on and is throwing a code of p0453. While under the truck, I ended up having to replace the vapor return lines because they were bad. I ended up using a bit smaller line because no one had the right side. Also there is a FTP sensor which is located on the tank, wanted to replace it while I had it out, but no one had it either. So replaced the lines put it back to gether and I'm getting this code. So I suspect either the lines are two small which is resulting in higher than normal presure or the switch has gone bad, since I took it out and stuck it back in. Could be something was pinched when I stuck the tank back in, but will have to get back under it to find out. Does anyone agree or disagree with me on this? I think I can also open the fuel cap, and test to see if it's an actual presure issue.

thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
slomafarms
Senior User
im starting to think i have the same problem. anybody know what causes the fuel pumps to go out? the previous owner replaced mine this past febuary

Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 AM
DGMFORD
Senior User
when you turn on the key, what does the fuel pump sound like when it comes on? should be a quiet hissing sound, anything other than that, would point to a faulty pump. Mine sounded bad, you could tell it was on it's way out. in some cases such as this where it's a lot of work to change, Ford is the best answer, even though expensive, it's worth it.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
slomafarms
Senior User
Originally Posted by DGMFORD
when you turn on the key, what does the fuel pump sound like when it comes on? should be a quiet hissing sound, anything other than that, would point to a faulty pump. Mine sounded bad, you could tell it was on it's way out. in some cases such as this where it's a lot of work to change, Ford is the best answer, even though expensive, it's worth it.
mine is nice and quiet , so im still guessing plugs were replaced last week

Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
I would start doing some testing, get a fuel presure gauge and see if you have presure at the fuel rails, could also be a faulty Crank or Cam shaft sensor. Sounds like to me that the pump is working fine. could also be a faulty ignition switch. or as simple as a loose connection.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
slomafarms
Senior User
Originally Posted by DGMFORD
I would start doing some testing, get a fuel presure gauge and see if you have presure at the fuel rails, could also be a faulty Crank or Cam shaft sensor. Sounds like to me that the pump is working fine. could also be a faulty ignition switch. or as simple as a loose connection.
it runs just fine and has plenty of power. i already changed the crank sensor. didnt do a fuel pressure test yet

Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM
skinner24
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack your thread, but my 2001 F-150 just started acting up a couple of days ago.
The two times that it has done it so far, where after it was running for a while. If you shut it off then restart it a few minutes later it will not fire up. The starter will turn over and the engine acts like it is going to start but it just spits and sputters. If you push the gas pedal it seems to kill it.
I have had to let it cool off both times to get it to start. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it all the time and even when it does do and it finally fires up it runs perfectly fine.
I'm stumped. I'm going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow. The pump seems to cycle fine and sounds like it always has.
The truck has 112,000 on the clock and had a tune up at 80,000. The IAC valve was replaced at 90,000.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 5.4 Starting Issue