1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It seems that the days are gone...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better at:
more maintenance
DPF filter and the cleaning cycles
an extra 5-10 minutes to fill up due to foaming in the tank

Are there things it's better at that are actually better I'm only kidding, but saying your truck is better than another is pretty lame. In not all cases would your truck be better, based on engine alone. There are factors in decision making. Those factors change based on the specifics (the person, the use, etc.) and therefore on decision is not "better" in all cases. Your truck/engine may be the best for you at any given time, but it is not necessarily "the best". In fact, you've listed the above several items in which you're willing to live with even though they don't make for the best.

It seems you make threads diesel vs gas a lot of the time. As a long time poster here, I wish you didn't. There is a specific thread for that.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
coobie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
Why would anyone buy a gas-engined 250 or 2500?
I owned a 2500 dodge diesel (2004)before my 2011 ford superduty 6.2 gasser and got sick of paying 30-40 cents more per gal. for diesel fuel.Oh, I almost forgot the diesel motor in the ford is a $7,900 option.I for one cannot justify that option.coobie

Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually I love typing ;-) my spelling and grammar is a little bad, but at my age :-) so theoretically, you have no experience towing with a F150 you're bantering and childish insults aren't going to help you. You read a specification and you base your knowledge upon this now that's funny. Some day, when you have the chance take a F150 for a ride with a trailer and tell me what you would rather use every day hauling 9000 pounds, But then again that's not in the brochure, or specifications So you wouldn't understand. I'm sorry I didn't mean to insult you I figured since you're such a great driver, you'd know something about transmissions and axles, radiators, oil coolers, volumes higher velocity of engine coolant fluid moving through to keep everything under control when you use a truck as a truck. You understand there's two different transmissions in an F150 and a super duty right? I wouldn't want to haul 9000 pounds every day with an F150 I probably need a transmission in a year never mind the amount of abuse that light little front end would take. You understand, there's no solid axle with coil overs in front on an F150 right? Take care

PS when you get a little older in life If you drive slower , you'll see there's a lot more about experience than a little specification page don't you get all upset The old old man will leave you alone

Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by radium
I wouldn't want to haul 9000 pounds every day with an F150 I probably need a transmission in a year
Oh yes, I can PERSONALLY vouch for that one....

Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM
radium
Elder User
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I should know better, especially at my age ;-). The price of trucks are ridiculous a truck used to be a working man's vehicle, but with their growing popularity They got you by the you know what. It's so funny when I bought this 2010 f350 XLT six Wheeler, with a 5.4 my dealer was totally upset that I didn't buy the 10 cylinder or a diesel, and yet that day he delivered a diesel to a female kindergarten teacher good grief. So I guess as more executives and teachers and white collar in general drive these trucks The price will stay a premium.

PS, the only hope we have, if the price of fuel goes back up they'll be rotting on the lots, not a problem for me. I'll just pass it on to my customers. It's how the world works, and it sure does suck.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
it depends on what you mean by "better"

if better means +$6,000 MSRP, reduced payload, and an additional $9.50 at the pumps... sure... yours is better.

Well I can pull my 27' travel trailer loaded, with a sportbike in the bed and my family in the truck with their crap (or just me and the wife and 2 bikes), all within my rated payload. I can buy diesel for less than premium gas and get better mileage than the Expedition I just traded in. I paid significantly less for the truck new than the used value is. And since my name is on the registration, it is better than everyone else's... So I'm good with that.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
I paid 30,885 for my 09 XLT, SCrew, 4X4, with the 6.4l. I love it.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ace!

It seems you make threads diesel vs gas a lot of the time. As a long time poster here, I wish you didn't. There is a specific thread for that.
I don't grant wishes. That's kid stuff. I'm a long time reader, not a long time poster, so sorry if my posts and or discussions are not to your standard. I am curious as to which threads I make "diesel vs gas a lot of the time..." Maybe someone hacked my account but I'm not seeing it. Was it the parking garage thread? How about the backup camera? Ah... fatal issues? Differential Lock? Tires? Snow Plow package? Come on man, throw me a bone.

I will do my best to improve the quality of my posts especially if they receive your special condemnation of "lame."

Am I also going to have to raise my hand to go to the bathroom?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
I paid 30,885 for my 09 XLT, SCrew, 4X4, with the 6.4l. I love it.

Be careful what you say, take it from me, there's a bunch of haters around here!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I should know better, especially at my age ;-). The price of trucks are ridiculous a truck used to be a working man's vehicle, but with their growing popularity They got you by the you know what. It's so funny when I bought this 2010 f350 XLT six Wheeler, with a 5.4 my dealer was totally upset that I didn't buy the 10 cylinder or a diesel, and yet that day he delivered a diesel to a female kindergarten teacher good grief. So I guess as more executives and teachers and white collar in general drive these trucks The price will stay a premium.

PS, the only hope we have, if the price of fuel goes back up they'll be rotting on the lots, not a problem for me. I'll just pass it on to my customers. It's how the world works, and it sure does suck.

Serious question... Do you really like the 5.4 in a DRW?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF
Be careful what you say, take it from me, there's a bunch of haters around here!
Ummmm....ok....

Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Actually I love typing ;-) my spelling and grammar is a little bad, but at my age :-) so theoretically, you have no experience towing with a F150 you're bantering and childish insults aren't going to help you. You read a specification and you base your knowledge upon this now that's funny. Some day, when you have the chance take a F150 for a ride with a trailer and tell me what you would rather use every day hauling 9000 pounds, But then again that's not in the brochure, or specifications So you wouldn't understand. I'm sorry I didn't mean to insult you I figured since you're such a great driver, you'd know something about transmissions and axles, radiators, oil coolers, volumes higher velocity of engine coolant fluid moving through to keep everything under control when you use a truck as a truck. You understand there's two different transmissions in an F150 and a super duty right? I wouldn't want to haul 9000 pounds every day with an F150 I probably need a transmission in a year never mind the amount of abuse that light little front end would take. You understand, there's no solid axle with coil overs in front on an F150 right? Take care

PS when you get a little older in life If you drive slower , you'll see there's a lot more about experience than a little specification page don't you get all upset The old old man will leave you alone

You still don't get it. Not about insults, because after 20 years in the Navy if I wanted to insult someone, they would definitely know they were being insulted, but everything else.
I NEVER SAID I WOULD CHOOSE AN F150 OVER ANYTHING. I SIMPLY ASKED WHY SOMEONE WOULD BUY A 5.4 F250 COMPARED TO THE RATINGS OF THE F150.

Do I care about the construction of the suspension of the F150, do I care about the transmission of the F150, or the radiators, or the coolers...?

Hold on a sec....

Old 10-17-2010, 07:42 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
Well, I just looked in my driveway and all I see is a 2010 F250, apparently with a diesel and the stickers that say 4x4, a 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan with hubcaps, and a 2006 Maxda3 sGT with a couple of scratches. Now even though they are all black, apparently not a single one of them is a F150.

So I've made up my mind, I do not care about the F150.

I do not care about the F150.

That is all.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
radium
Elder User
A serious answer ;-). It really wasn't my first choice , a SRW would have worked but after one drive I was sold so stable and after towing one trailer I just can't explain how it feels to know that you're in total control of what your hauling. Once again I think your truck is fantastic, there is no question a diesel would be the way to go if I haul more weight, It's just more than I would ever need. In upstate New York diesel fuel is already $3.25 a gallon regular 87 octane gasoline which is all that I ever used is $2.85. I have driven diesel engines my entire life, grew up on a farm and still farm today. Totally agree with you with the little bit of maintenance is nothing for the power that you get out of it, I also have two friend One happens to be my brother, who has not had one problem with his 6.4 2008 I believe his at 65,000 miles without one problem. All kidding aside, when I worked back in the 70s s and 80s s most trucks didn't break 250 hp, and we always got the work done. The reason people buy the super duty is not just the engine. It's the overall package, better brakes bigger axles and the transmission. Well, that's a whole another story in itself The best in the industry as a matter of fact all super duties have the same transmission I believe up to the F550. These things together equate to a longevity less maintenance, cost effectiveness. You take care and enjoy your truck

Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 PM
RUFFSTUFF
Senior User
A serious answer ;-). It really wasn't my first choice , a SRW would have worked but after one drive I was sold so stable and after towing one trailer I just can't explain how it feels to know that you're in total control of what your hauling. Once again I think your truck is fantastic, there is no question a diesel would be the way to go if I haul more weight, It's just more than I would ever need. In upstate New York diesel fuel is already $3.25 a gallon regular 87 octane gasoline which is all that I ever used is $2.85. I have driven diesel engines my entire life, grew up on a farm and still farm today. Totally agree with you with the little bit of maintenance is nothing for the power that you get out of it, I also have two friend One happens to be my brother, who has not had one problem with his 6.4 2008 I believe his at 65,000 miles without one problem. All kidding aside, when I worked back in the 70s s and 80s s most trucks didn't break 250 hp, and we always got the work done. The reason people buy the super duty is not just the engine. It's the overall package, better brakes bigger axles and the transmission. Well, that's a whole another story in itself The best in the industry as a matter of fact all super duties have the same transmission I believe up to the F550. These things together equate to a longevity less maintenance, cost effectiveness. You take care and enjoy your truck

Thanks for the answer. In my neighborhood diesel is about $2.95, regular unleaded is about $2.60-2.70, and premium unleaded just a few cents more than diesel. Of course in the next hour or 2 that may change. I originally wanted a F350 4x4 DRW so that towing anything would never, ever be an issue, but when it came time to fork over the cash I couldn't find what I wanted and the deal on the F250 I couldn't pass up. It meets or exceeds my needs even if one day I ditch the travel trailer and get a toy hauler. Once I get my Spartan Diesel Technologies upgrade, I'm sure I will not have a single performance related negative comment. I am amazed at how detuned these diesels are, I don't think the average person even knows. I didn't that's for sure.

Good hunting, bro.

Quick Reply: It seems that the days are gone...