1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2003 7.3 F350 Diesel Running Rough (Missing)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:44 PM
rexpendergraft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I have a 2003 7.3 Liter F350 diesel that has a problem in that after running a few minutes (15-20 minutes) and it is warmed up it starts missing especially when under a little bit of a load: Meaning going up a hill versus on level ground or down hill. Also I use 100% or less bio diesel for fuel depending on the outside temperature.
What I have done so far:<O<O></O>
1. Drained all bio fuel and removed the fuel tank and inspected for anything that would cause fuel starvation (i.e. clogging, debris, junk, bio diesel residue,… etc). Tank was clean and suction screen clean on sending unit. Remounted tank and filled with new regular diesel fuel. <O<O
2. Removed and replaced frame rail mounted fuel pump.<O<O
3. Installed new fuel filter.
<O4. Removed and install new Injection Driver Module (IDM)
<O
Problem still exists and error codes still point to the IDM as the problem but this can't be unless new one was also bad.<O></O>
<O></O>
Truck starts and runs great when cold but after a few minutes the engine starts missing and rough running with ever decreasing power available (especially under load). If I am going up a hill it will actually stop (engine shuts off after coughing and sputtering).

Has anyone had the same problem and what do you suggest next? <O

Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Under the valve cover wiring harnesses are coming unplugged.
Remove the valve covers.
Retorque the rocker arm pedastals to 20 foot pounds.
Retorque the injector hold downs to 120 inch pounds. What does that convert to, 7.5 foot pounds?
You'll also most likely find that the plug has come loose inside the valve cover and you need to take two quarters and cut them down a little so that it will fit under the little clip and prevent it from unpluggin in the future.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
rexpendergraft
New User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Remove the valve covers.
Retorque the injector hold downs to 120 inch pounds. What does that convert to, 7.5 foot pounds?
You'll also most likely find that the plug has come loose inside the valve cover and you need to take two quarters and cut them down a little so that it will fit under the little clip and prevent it from unpluggin in the future.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Just to be clear, what are you using to pull the codes, and is the P1316 the IDM code you're referring too? Can you do a buzz test with your scanner?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
eggturner
Junior User
You may want to read thru this post, especially since you are running bio-diesel. My brothers 7.3 psd x and my 7.3 psd x both had the fpr go bad and we are guessing it was because we run veggie oil. may not be your problem but worth checking out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...o-restart.html

Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
th67ss
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Remove the valve covers.

I need to do the 50cent mod and re-torque my rockers and hold downs but I don't have an inch pound torque wrench.

So I found a converter online, and when I convert 120 inch pound to foot pounds it says 9.999999996000001 ft/lbs which to me is 10 ft/lbs? Plus I saw where Clay posted a diagram in another thread and it had the torque setting to 10 ft/lbs. But now I see you're saying 7.5 ft/lb, and now I'm really confused

which one is right?

Thanks.......Tom

Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
My truck is doing the same exact thing. Last time this happened it was my ICP sensor.

I have also had the clip come loose in one of my valve covers but when that happened the truck would just not start. Guess I'll find out for sure when my brothers scanner gets plugged into it.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
12" in a foot. So 120 in/lbs / 12 = 10 ft/lbs.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
rexpendergraft
New User
Originally Posted by rexpendergraft
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1; COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I have a 2003 7.3 Liter F350 diesel that has a problem in that after running a few minutes (15-20 minutes) and it is warmed up it starts missing especially when under a little bit of a load: Meaning going up a hill versus on level ground or down hill. Also I use 100% or less bio diesel for fuel depending on the outside temperature.
What I have done so far:<O<O></O>
1. Drained all bio fuel and removed the fuel tank and inspected for anything that would cause fuel starvation (i.e. clogging, debris, junk, bio diesel residue,… etc). Tank was clean and suction screen clean on sending unit. Remounted tank and filled with new regular diesel fuel. <O<O
2. Removed and replaced frame rail mounted fuel pump.<O<O
3. Installed new fuel filter.
<O4. Removed and install new Injection Driver Module (IDM)
<O
Problem still exists and error codes still point to the IDM as the problem but this can't be unless new one was also bad.<O></O>
<O></O>
Truck starts and runs great when cold but after a few minutes the engine starts missing and rough running with ever decreasing power available (especially under load). If I am going up a hill it will actually stop (engine shuts off after coughing and sputtering).

Has anyone had the same problem and what do you suggest next? <O
Today (10/14/2010) Checked the fuel pressure and it is OK at 60 PSI

also replaced the ICP (injector Pressure controller) it had oil in the connection. Before this ICP replacement I had a 1212 (ICP bad) and a 1298 (IDM bad) code. Now the problems still exist and there are no codes set.

Now I think I am really up the creek.

Tomorrow will open up the valve covers and check underneath all connections

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
12" in a foot. So 120 in/lbs / 12 = 10 ft/lbs.
I suck at math.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
RKern
Senior User
My brothers truck was doing very similar things and the dealer here suggested the IDM. The price for that module was something like $700.00. I happened to run into one of the Ford diesel mechanics at a treatment place both of us were at. The long and short of it was he said it was the wiring harness coming unplugged. The next treatment my brother drove me in my truck 2000 F350 4wd auto sc srw and this mechanic showed him where the harness was located under the valve cover virtually word for word what kwik said. My brothers truck which I believe is a 2001 F350 4wd duallie bought as cab and chassis he checked and that was exactly what it was.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:57 AM
PJ-Hunter
Elder User
Originally Posted by rexpendergraft
Today (10/14/2010) Checked the fuel pressure and it is OK at 60 PSI

also replaced the ICP (injector Pressure controller) it had oil in the connection. Before this ICP replacement I had a 1212 (ICP bad) and a 1298 (IDM bad) code. Now the problems still exist and there are no codes set.

Now I think I am really up the creek.

Tomorrow will open up the valve covers and check underneath all connections
I think I'm in the same damn boat. Getting super pissed now.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
RKern
Senior User
I read every thread I see concerning injectors especially for the 7.3. Yesterday there was a thread titled "Injector Question" started a couple of days earlier by ggirten that may prove helpful as some questions are very similar. I was just amazed that It was that easy to fix my brothers truck by simply plugging in the connection he ziptied versus the 50 cent mod.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
RKern
Senior User
This is another post on a thread that covers similar problems. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/80...ml#post6884198

Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
rexpendergraft
New User
My problem is now solved. The small screens inside of the sending unit housing (MIXING CHAMBER I GUESS) were entirely plugged. YES I had already drained all bio fuel and removed the fuel tank and inspected for anything that would cause fuel starvation (i.e. clogging, debris, junk, bio diesel residue,… etc). Tank was clean and suction screen cleaned on sending unit base. But what I did not do was take the sending unit apart and clean the screens inside of the mixing chamber. This is what the mechanic finally did. $900 later my truck is perfect. I understand that there is kit somewhere that can be installed to eliminate the mixing chamber. Does anyone know about this and where it can be purchased.

Quick Reply: 2003 7.3 F350 Diesel Running Rough (Missing)