6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Gas in Diesel

Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Pullin_Power
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in Diesel

So I lent my 2010 350 Diesel to my step-son to move his girlfriend from PA to MD. He gets it home, and I hear it is running like crap. I asked what happened, and he said it was running bad since he filled it up in PA. He put Gasoline in it. So now it is in my driveway (he drove 150 miles) with 25/29 gals gasoline. Question to you experts is now what. My plan is to drain the tank (dont know how so help would be appreciated), change filters, and see how it goes.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
elongate
Freshman User
siphon as much as you can. I'm not real familiar with the fuel pump location but if it's in tank you could open the fuel/water seperator valve and turn the key on. I imagine the pump would cycle to build pressure. I'm sure you're not alone in this one, some will have some good news for you. good luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
I hope your step-son has a HUGE bank account. If your truck was a 7.3L or 6.0L truck, I would say that draining it, changing filters and refilling FULL of fresh diesel along with the PM-22-A and PM-23-A additives, you would be good to go, but ...........

......... your truck is a 6.4L, unfortunately. To properly repair this will require the entire high pressure fuel system components to be replaced (high pressure fuel pump, lines, rails and injectors etc.). The reason for this, is because that high pressure fuel pump along with those peizo-electric injectors are VERY sensitive to any kind of debris or fluid contamination of any sort. Remember, these engines pressurize fuel to 4000 psi at idle and up to as high as 26000 psi, unlike a 6.0L or 7.3L that pressurize ENGINE OIL to only 500 to 3000 psi control injection pressure at the combustion chambers.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to read.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts
I'd try to drop the tank and emtpy it. Change filters, do the additives and pray like hell, but I think you are in for a big repair.

Any chance your insurance could help?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:56 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a thought here..... Did HE fill it , or was it an attendant? Maybe the filling station is liable if THEY filled it? If not, then I'd have to agree w/ the above. The parts alone are expensive enough. Now add all that labor cost and you (or your step son) will have a mighty big bill!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Pullin_Power
New User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I hope your step-son has a HUGE bank account. If your truck was a 7.3L or 6.0L truck, I would say that draining it, changing filters and refilling FULL of fresh diesel along with the PM-22-A and PM-23-A additives, you would be good to go, but ...........

......... your truck is a 6.4L, unfortunately. To properly repair this will require the entire high pressure fuel system components to be replaced (high pressure fuel pump, lines, rails and injectors etc.). The reason for this, is because that high pressure fuel pump along with those peizo-electric injectors are VERY sensitive to any kind of debris or fluid contamination of any sort. Remember, these engines pressurize fuel to 4000 psi at idle and up to as high as 26000 psi, unlike a 6.0L or 7.3L that pressurize ENGINE OIL to only 500 to 3000 psi control injection pressure at the combustion chambers.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to read.
I know alot, but how much roughly? Also, should I at least try it?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Pullin_Power
New User
Called the gas station, they have green and black nozzles on the pumps, but they are both gas. I can see his mistake now. Just got to figure out how to fix it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by jcj0011
Called the gas station, they have green and black nozzles on the pumps, but they are both gas.
This wouldn't happen to be a BP gas station would it?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Pullin_Power
New User
Hess express on 81 in PA

Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Pullin_Power
New User
Lots more questions have popped into my head since reading your reply...BTW...thank you all for your input.....

1. What is the best way to drain the gas tank.
2. What can I expect when I start it up. Will the computer start sending warnings (would have expected this to already happen, but nothing)
3. Will I know right away, or will these problems creap up over time.
4. For the correct repair, am I talking 1k, 5k, 10k?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I'd drop the tank, change filters, drain the fuel bowl. then key on and off., cycle the system, drain the fuel water separator again after putting in a few gals of the good stuff. and additive, fuel injection cleaner and then try to start.

Pull and oil sample if it runs ok.

That is probably what I would do.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I have been following this thread to see where it goes, but I want to say something now.

Do you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance? If so insurance will likely cover the damage.

Gasoline doesn't have the lubricity to lubricate your HPFP or injectors, so I fear permanent damage has already been done. I can't quote an exact repair number but I remember a few stories on here of similar damage requiring nearly $10,000 in repairs to replace the high pressure fuel system.

I'd contact your insurance company and get it towed in.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Tom, I suggested contacting insurance as well. Great points.

This is gonna be a hard one to swallow. It is a no win situation.

I think the last one was taken into the dealer (that I know of) and they immediately pulled it all apart. They didn't even bother to drain and gamble.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Pullin_Power
New User
I will definitely take your advice and call my insurance company, but I am curious why you think they would cover this. I have never heard of an insurance company covering mechanical failures, especially from a self-inflicted wound. Have you all heard of a precedence?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Tom, I suggested contacting insurance as well
Yeah, I saw that, I just wanted to suggest going about it a bit differently.

I was suggesting getting them to cover a complete repair first rather than trying to get it running first and see what happens.

It's not likely, but possibly the OP could end up in a no-win situation if he tried to fix with fresh fuel and additives. The dealer could point to the wrong fuel as a reason to not cover it, and the insurance adjuster would see a truck with fresh, clean fuel that wouldn't run, and THEY might not cover it. With each side saying the other should pay, the OP could get stuck with the bill.

This is a very expensive and serious problem that has developed, and whether the HPFP fails now or 5,000 miles from now it's still toast in my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas in Diesel