Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Better Starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just two quick things:

1) After pulling the Chinese DBE after 11 months, those bolts had not budged. I used Loctite and it did its job just fine. I am not at all worried about bolts backing out.

B) To move the truck this morning for the work, I cranked on that Mitsu unit. I did not think it would start, but it did. Reluctantly. This is the second or third Mitsu type I have had. They start out much stronger than they finish a coupla years later.

Thirdly) I lied about having only two things. It's very tough to find out which starter units are made where these days. This made it clear that I had to seek out a known solid electrical motor. The Denso products have had a very good reputation over the years and have been used in racing and heavy equipment. I have no compunctions with using their products and it should be acknowledged that the Japanese make some pretty good stuff.

That said, I am keen on MiUSA wherever possible, so I would like to know more about the Quick Start products.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I have a Quick Start alternator that has been doing good, but I've never tried one of their starters.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
These two companies appear to be a great option for starters and alternators.....and offer American made products!

Ford Power Stroke 7.3L 6.0L 6.4L 6.7L Diesel Type High Output Large Case 6G Series Alternators

Nation Starter & Alternator,Tractor Auto,Marine,Truck,Small Engine

BTW, if you haven't seen my thread about engine heater and won't start. I'm thinking it's the batteries along with most advice.....still can't get it to turn over! Sorry for the hijack!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
OTTOMATIC
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on Nations.
However I still have my original starter, glow plugs & GPR that came on truck when new.
I have used Nations for other vehicles

Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Here is the old Mitsubishi unit:

YouTube - Mitsubishi starter.MTS

It was a ton better when it was new. Fast starts and all. After less than a year or so, it would randomly go slow and then it went slow all the time like this for a few more months. Though it seems like it's going to fail, it would always eventually start. I was always looking around to see if any truck guys were watching and chuckling. This is at least the second Mitsu I have had with this truck. The first one had the exact same condition.

Here is the Japanese Denso:

YouTube - True Denso.MTS

Now it sounds exactly like a truck should when being started. The DB was very similar in sound, but not so similar in reliability.

I can do a starter change in under a half/hour now.

Hope this helps.

DS

Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deadsenator

It was a ton better when it was new. Fast starts and all. After less than a year or so, it would randomly go slow and then it went slow all the time like this for a few more months. Though it seems like it's going to fail, it would always eventually start. I was always looking around to see if any truck guys were watching and chuckling. This is at least the second Mitsu I have had with this truck. The first one had the exact same condition.

YouTube - True Denso.MTS

Now it sounds exactly like a truck should when being started. The DB was very similar in sound, but not so similar in reliability.

Hope this helps.

DS
that's what it's supose to sound like. Thanks for recording that for us not many had heard what that starte sounds like. And man that old starter, sheew, it's a winder your truck even started!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
WOW!!! Thanks for taking the time to that! That's almost what my starter sounds like right now when cold... I can't imagine my truck starting that good! I think I'm gonna go with this in the future unless I can find something better... reps to you!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
My original 3-bolt starter with 200,000 miles still turns the engine over just like that Denso does, with the same start time.

As pathetic as your old one was makes me think that maybe only two of the four brushes were making contact, thus it was maybe running at half its rated power.

Pop

Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
I'm with Pop.
My OEM starter sounds just like the new Denso starter as well.
And I'm surprised that your truck would even start, cranking over that sluggishly on the old starter.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 PM
01EX
Senior User

YouTube - True Denso.MTS

Hope this helps.

DS
Sounds good.
Did it bolt right in?
Did you have to extend wires to make connections?
Did you buy this one from Larry B's ?

How much?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
01EX
Senior User
Originally Posted by OTTOMATIC
X2 on Nations.
However I still have my original starter, glow plugs & GPR that came on truck when new.
I have used Nations for other vehicles

Did you buy Denso's, factory oem new or a copy?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
deadsenator
Senior User
Originally Posted by 01EX
Sounds good.
Did it bolt right in?
Did you have to extend wires to make connections?
Did you buy this one from Larry B's ?

How much?
Bolts right in. It's heavier, so be prepared and eat your spinach. The wires are all the right length. Some have said they had to notch their cross-members, but I had plenty of room. I think this depends on each trucks exact engine location.

Yes, I bought from Larry Buck. He answered all my questions and was very quick with shipping. I am only an hour away from him, so it was at my house the next day. He even tossed a pair of disposable gloves in for the work. I didn't use them, but I appreciate the sentiment.

If Nations sells that exact same genuine Denso, it's cheaper than Larry's price. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and presume that because of volume, he may not get as good of a deal from his supplier or something. I didn't find out about Nations until after I had already ordered. That's okay. Chalk it up to experience and I take some comfort in knowing that I supported someone local

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
They might not hear it in the vid but in person I think there is a different tone in the way that particular starter actually sounds. Did you notice? Thank for posting up the info and I fill you on supporting you locals!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User

YouTube - True Denso.MTS

Hope this helps.

DS
What if anything, did you do to the cable terminals to get them on the repositioned starter terminals? I'm thinking about getting this one.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On my DB starter all I had to do was snip the alignment leg off of the battery cable eye,everything else fit

Quick Reply: Better Starters