6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

International filters - air/oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
International filters - air/oil?

It's been cited by numerous people that a couple of filter/HFCM parts can be purchased from International/IH...
1847170C92 - fuel filter kit
2589259C91 - replacement HFCM drain plug

...for considerably less money than from Ferd.

Does International have an equivalent for the 6.0 air filter or oil filter, for similar cost savings? Part numbers? About the best price I've seen is $55 for an OEM air filter and $18.99 for an OEM oil filter (Motorcraft). I'd love to find air/oil filters available from IH for a similar drop in price as the fuel filters compared to Motorcraft...

Please note - I am looking for OEM replacements only. I want the synthetic-media air filters, fuel filters with water protection layer, etc. I am NOT interested in WIX/Napa/pyramid schemes (Amsoil, etc.)/any other aftermarkets.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:01 AM
A. Michael Foxtrot
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, when I picked up my fuel filters from Int'l, I didn't even ask them if the other filters were the same as what Motorcraft supplies. I too, would like to know.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Oil filters are no cheaper than Walmart or local auto parts store selling Motorcraft brand filters. I pay $19.99/ea for oil filters at Advance Auto Parts and never worry about it.

Fuel filters from IH dealer due to extremely lower cost.

I have been told, but never verified that the air filters are not at IH dealer as they use a different intake set-up. Donaldson is the OEM manufacture of the "Powercore" air filter and the blue is synthetic (water resistent) and the white is cellulose (non water resistent)... but both are "powercore" filters. By the way, the blue version is the OEM version from Ford.

Check on-line for the Ford part number and verify that it is the blue one. Have not found anyone selling the "blue version" in a non-Ford brand.

I am due for a new air filter within the next 10,000 miles so I am interested if anyone finds a source for OEM/Donaldson made Blue media air filters.

Jeff

Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
There is a guy on ebay selling Ford OEM air, oil, and fuel filters. I am going to order an air filter from him. I think it was $55.00 including shipping. I bought the fuel filter kit from IH for $34.00 yesterday.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't FA1778, the Motorcraft part number for the air filter, be the blue media?

Here's the cheapest price I've found:
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/F...n-Fa-1778.aspx

I've got no connection with the company, never ordered, etc., just found the price to be fairly reasonable. They're claiming the filter IS Motorcraft (not trying to hoodwink you into an aftermarket) and the pic shows blue filter media. They've also got Motorcraft oil filters for $17.95 - I'd be tempted to stock up... a few bucks is a few bucks. Plus, free shipping on $150, and an additional 5% discount on $250.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Here's the air filter. You can hit view seller's other items for the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't FA1778, the Motorcraft part number for the air filter, be the blue media?

Here's the cheapest price I've found:
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/F...n-Fa-1778.aspx

I've got no connection with the company, never ordered, etc., just found the price to be fairly reasonable. They're claiming the filter IS Motorcraft (not trying to hoodwink you into an aftermarket) and the pic shows blue filter media. They've also got Motorcraft oil filters for $17.95 - I'd be tempted to stock up... a few bucks is a few bucks. Plus, free shipping on $150, and an additional 5% discount on $250.
That sure looks like it (air filter that is).

For me, I just buy 1 oil filter at a time (Motorcraft) and pay $19.99/ea and do not have to worry about shipping and "stocking up". One or two bucks is no big deal anyway as I have to drive to buy my oil at Walmart anyway.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Pitchinfool
Here's the air filter. You can hit view seller's other items for the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem
TVSR site above is less expensive and is a reputable filter retailer. I have never bought from EBAY, but between the two... I will go with 'Dieselfiltersonline" as they sponsor this site as well... so they have passed a minimum amount of screening.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
Just ordered the air filter, $55.00 including shipping.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:56 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
TVSR site above is less expensive and is a reputable filter retailer. I have never bought from EBAY, but between the two... I will go with 'Dieselfiltersonline" as they sponsor this site as well... so they have passed a minimum amount of screening.
I hadn't even noticed they were a site sponsor - I found them via Google. Even better... I've got some assurance they're honest. Plus, they're actually about the same price if I order a few other things:

2 eBay filters - $46 + $46 + $9 + $4.50 = $105.50
2 DFO filters - $52.95 + $52.95 = $105.90 (assuming you buy a few oil filters to get the free shipping... to me, it's worth grabbing 3 oil filters just to get over the $150 limit for free shipping!)

Thanks for the discussion... ya'll are great. Now, I need to track down an IH dealer for fuel filters and the HFCM drain plug...

Old 04-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Pitchinfool
Senior User
In my situation, I can't seeing buying more than 1 air filter at a time. I have 60K on my original and I don't even think it needs changing yet but I am going to go ahead and change it anyway.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
I'll change mine at 30K. I go by the severe schedule, as my trucks get used for emergency response (FD), extended idling, etc. I'm getting the second to toss in the truck for a spare - I like having spare parts for CYA purposes...

Old 04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Btravelen
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Oil filters are no cheaper than Walmart or local auto parts store selling Motorcraft brand filters. I pay $19.99/ea for oil filters at Advance Auto Parts and never worry about it.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, have you ever pulled the filters out of the box at Wally mart and looked at them? Fram and Autolite are EXACTLY the same as Motorcraft and they're 5 bucks cheaper. They're even shrink wrapped, whereas the Motorcrafts are not. I've seen you post your oil filter preference often and just wondered if you were aware of this. I agree that it's not worth taking a chance on aftermarket filters, but Motorcraft doesn't make their filters and the maker that does (Racor) apparently makes Fram and Autolite too, for 5 bucks less!

Just as it doesn't make sense to pay the Motorcraft 'premium' for fuel filters, same applies for oil filters.

Take Care

Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Btravelen
Elder User
Sorry, double post!

Last edited by Btravelen; 04-19-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Btravelen
Hey Jeff, have you ever pulled the filters out of the box at Wally mart and looked at them? Fram and Autolite are EXACTLY the same as Motorcraft and they're 5 bucks cheaper. They're even shrink wrapped, whereas the Motorcrafts are not. I've seen you post your oil filter preference often and just wondered if you were aware of this. I agree that it's not worth taking a chance on aftermarket filters, but Motorcraft doesn't make their filters and the maker that does (Racor) apparently makes Fram and Autolite too, for 5 bucks less!

Just as it doesn't make sense to pay the Motorcraft 'premium' for fuel filters, same applies for oil filters.

Take Care
Your right.... I stand corrected....

Yes, I know that Framm (at least) is the same filter - made by Racor. I however, being the "worry wart" that I am and will obviously be accused of after I right this... feel that for $5.00 a filter, I would just buy the Motorcraft brand of oil filter.

I staple the box lid and recipt to my files and mark the date and mileage on it when I change them out. I figure that if I had a warranty problem that showing where I used Motorcraft oil filters and CI4+ rated oil would work to my advantage. I would not have to try and prove, show or convince anyone that Framm is made by the same OEM manufacture (Racor).

I buy the fuel filters from IH becuase they are way cheaper at $27.99/kit versus $80.00 at dealer and that the IH filter kit and bought from IH is good enough in my mind to preserve the warranty if Ford has any issues.

The $5.00/oil filter, for me, is piece of mind and whether one wants to use the M&M act... I do not have the time to try and defend my use of "other brand" filters if need be. The piece of mind is using Motorcraft (Racor made) oil filters and IH (Racor made) fuel filters.... and again IH/Navistar makes the motor as we all know...so I do not see Ford having a problem with my choice of fuel filters.

Since I already called myself a "worry wart" no need to have any opne on the boards call me it again. Five dollars is not that big a deal for me and just the cost of owing a diesel in my mind.

Thanks for the heads up advice.

Jeff

Quick Reply: International filters - air/oil?