1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 E4OD to ZF5 swap questions (NOW COMPLETE)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None of it was to hard at all, nothing was really different then R&Ring a trans.

Not sure on the clutch fork, I drove the donor before i pulled it apart and it didnt feel that way what so ever

Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got ya, it sound like the fork but not sure, my truck was good and all t baring went out so put a new clutch and all in put it back to gather and it was just like what you said yours is doing, i spent the 35 bucks on a new fork for this swap, did you use 97 or your 92 tcase?? i have all myn ready 2go waiting on clutch and drive shaft to have 2 in added

Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
I used the 97 t case, and I used a 97 wiring harness, pedals were from a 95 f-150, i used the 91 drive lines, and swapped the yoke on the rear drive shaft, the plates on the floor were the same and i used the 91

Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by GreaseMonky
I used the 97 t case, and I used a 97 wiring harness, pedals were from a 95 f-150, i used the 91 drive lines, and swapped the yoke on the rear drive shaft, the plates on the floor were the same and i used the 91
got ya, so it would be a big help if i found wiring harness from a 96 insted of useing my 93, could save some time and messing with wires. my floor plates from the 93 and pedals worked, i am going 2 use 96 tcase and have and my short shaft has to have 2in added to it, my doner was a rcab not a cc so that sucked. hey wonder if wires from 96 460 5 speed will work???

Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

you did mean you got wires from a 97 5 speed right?? didnt think are auto wires would work, sorry man have a 100 things going through my head, lol

Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
I wish the pedals from my '88 would work. But need the 92-97 pedals.

I'll be using the trans and t-case from my '88 for my swap. I wonder if the hydraulics from the '88 will work or will I need those from a '92-97 also?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
yes i got the wires from a 97 5 speed 4x4 truck, and i used a 1997 5peed 4x4 pcm

Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
i am not sure on the hydro's i bought new pre bleed matched set from oriely's, the 91 pedals were way different, i know where you can get a set of pedals for the obs style fro around $50 i think is what they were going to charge me

Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

yes i got the wires from a 97 5 speed 4x4 truck, and i used a 1997 5peed 4x4 pcm
ok sweet, i have a chip and will have it reburned for a man should be ok there, the wires have been the only thing i was scared of, wonder if 97 will work?? brob be better off with 96 wires same year as the truck, do you know if a 460 is the same?? thanks man

Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Where you from Greasemonky?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
I wish the pedals from my '88 would work. But need the 92-97 pedals.

I'll be using the trans and t-case from my '88 for my swap. I wonder if the hydraulics from the '88 will work or will I need those from a '92-97 also?
not sure going to go new hydraulics as well, but i have another set of 93 pedals as well man

Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Brown falcon I am located in Vancouver WA.

I got the clutch pedal problem fixed all is good now, well its kinda noisy but i understand why, wish there was a fix for it.

another thing i thought of is it seems geared lower now? I thought both trucks had 4:11, but maybe i read the donor truck wrong

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok i got the truck all back together, I got lucky on the wiring everything worked, i didnt have to switch any pins. I had a lttle issue when i first tried to start the truck the 4x4 bar that connects between the shifter and the transfercase was to short so the transfercase was not in gear, kinda raised my blood pressure a little for a few seconds.
I did the same thing!
It was a fairly simple swap in my opinion. pretty straight forward, truck drives good, i like they way it feels, cant wait to get a load behind it, it does seem to be geared a little lower then my auto, rpms are higher on the freeway.
It is geared lower than the E4OD. Final drive on E4OD is .72 and the ZF is .76 or .77(I believe) depending on wide or close ratio. Should raise your final RPMs about 3-400.
Ii do have a few questions, I put new hydraulics in, but my clutch seems to release kinda high maybe about halfway? Ii ll look again later. And my downpipe is hitting the firewall and making it extremly loud inside the truck.
The clutch problem can be many things all of which are pretty easy fixes and it could easily be all of them. The plastic bushing on the pin that goes inside the master cylinder pushrod from the clutch linkage wears out A LOT. I went through 4 in three months. It can cause excessive play in the system and make the clutch feel wierd. There is a permanent fix for this. Go to eBay and type in "Ford clutch fix". $32 to your door. Easy to install and never have to buy another plastic bushing again. I can't believe it took me so long to get. GREAT MOD!!
There is a rod that runs through the top of the pedalbox that the clutch and brake pedals ride on. Here too are more PLASTIC bushings. They can wear out and cause even more play in the system. $14 from Ford. If that is the case and it has progressed further then the pedalbox itself can become worn in such a way that the holes for those bushings and the rod can become "wallowed" out or the box even broken. Unfortunately the only fix for this is a new pedalbox.
If the clutch fork is worn or the seat for it is worn it can cause funny issues too. Most likely it is not your brand new hydraulics. Maybe you can warranty it and try but I bet it is a plastic problem.
And p.s. REDMAN Thanks for all the help, you made this swap go alot smother, I appreciate it alot.
No worries. Glad to help. Now just PAY IT FORWARD somehow.
Originally Posted by jg96powerstroker
got ya, so it would be a big help if i found wiring harness from a 96 insted of useing my 93, could save some time and messing with wires. my floor plates from the 93 and pedals worked, i am going 2 use 96 tcase and have and my short shaft has to have 2in added to it, my doner was a rcab not a cc so that sucked. hey wonder if wires from 96 460 5 speed will work???
I wouldn't waste the time or money looking for a 96 harness. It is really easy to fix if need be. But FWIW I imagine the 460 wires would work since it is only wiring. Should be the same and can't hurt anything to just thrpw em in and try. Worse case scenario=you waste 5 minutes plugging them in.
...didnt think are auto wires would work,...
They will but your reverse lights WON'T work. You'd have to permanently set the rotating kob in the end of the auto harness to the park or neutral position to get the truck to crank so that eliminates reverse which causes the lights to activate. It's really easy to fix the other wires.
ok sweet, i have a chip and will have it reburned for a man should be ok there,...
Yep. And you will be ok with it burned for auto in the mean time.
the wires have been the only thing i was scared of,...
Don't be scared. It's only plastic and metal.
not sure going to go new hydraulics as well, but i have another set of 93 pedals as well man
This is another probable waste of money. Do it if you want but if you use them from the donor and they go out then you just buy some like you're planning anyway and take the 10 minutes to change em. Save that $$ for all your big plans!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
I'll be doing my swap once I move back to Oregon in a few months.

If you installed the single mass flywheel and it's making noise you can overfill the tranny through the shifter hole and it will help.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
I'll be doing my swap once I move back to Oregon in a few months.

If you installed the single mass flywheel and it's making noise you can overfill the tranny through the shifter hole and it will help.
You can also get pretty much a whole extra quart in by parking the driver's side up on a curb and filling through the fill plug.

Quick Reply: 1997 E4OD to ZF5 swap questions (NOW COMPLETE)