1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

71 f100 running hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
clayster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
71 f100 running hot

71 f100 w/360 has new radiator, upper and lower hoses, thermostat. Checked all the freeze plugs and it appears that none are leaking. I drove down to the store the other day and when i returned I popped the hood and it was really hot.(antifreeze was coming out of overflow hose) Yesterday I did the same trip and it was not hot at all! kinda scratchin my head on this 1...any advice ..Ideas, ect. would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
I got the same problem with my 74 F250 it has a 360. Mine will over heat in a few minutes. I changed the water pump, alt, thermostat. What thermostat are you running I went from bout a 165 to a 195 thermostat so it will run hotter with the 195. An check your hoses an make sure they are not bad. Did you check an see if your thermostat is not opening up all the way? Another thing is check your intake gasket an see if that is bad I still need to check it on mine.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
clayster
New User
The thermo is a 195. and working fine. When I got the truck it just had a radiator put in it..I believe its the standard one and not the heavy duty one. Could that be part of the problem? As for the intake gasket..Not to sure how to check it but to remove the intake and replace the gasket? I am not losing any antifreeze anywhere but the overflow line...Just drove her down to the store and not leaking from the overflow..just seems to be alittle hot. The temp. Gauge only go's up some..even when the engine is feeling really hot. could the temp sensor be going out?
I know im kinda rambling but this is really baffling..

Old 10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do you have a fan shroud?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
clayster
New User
yes theres a shroud. new belts. Fans turning. No funny noises coming for the water pump..And Im not smelling the funny waterpump smell that shows when the pump is going bad. But you could fry eggs on the motor(radiator) after just running it 5 mins.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure the engine is timed properly?
What does the gauge show?
What is the outside temperature when this happens?
Does the coolant suck back into the radiator as it cools down?
Any indications of a head gasket problem?
Just some things to think about. We want to make sure you really have a problem.
I don't think the intake gasket is associated as you are not losing coolant.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Clay, I think you have the new to the scene jitters. Bet when you got back home and found the radiator had puked a little coolant you filled it back up, right?

There was no expansion tank used with the trucks and it needs a couple inches in the top to expand.

If you have the FE you have about 4.5 gallons of coolant so being down a couple cups is OK.

Drive it, leave it until it has cooled, as long as you can see coolant or touch it with your middle finger the level is fine. Been around these ol Fords for 40 years, have seen many come in here nervous about the truck trying to find happiness and the owner not willing to let it.

You did mix your antifreeze with grocery store distilled water for a 50/50 mix??

John

Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM
clayster
New User
I have not put a timimg gun on it but it seems to be running smooth. As for outside temp. its been in the low 80's here. The temp gauge moves up about 1/4. This is not my 1st. ford truck...And I dont ever remember it running as hot as this 1. As for refilling the radiator..The truck came with a container of premix 50/50.
Well after kicking my self a few times because of my stupidity..I figured out that my waterpump is going out..Went out and grabbed the pump pully and it has some play in it..So I believe the bearings in the pump are going out. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Kalve
Posting Guru
Keep me posted on it. I changed the water pump on mine an it is still running hot its a 360 in a 74 F250.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clayster, it would be a good idea to add an overflow tank to the radiator. And I would replace the temperature sender. It only costs a few bucks. That way you will get a better reading on your temperature problem.
If the needle is coming 1/4 of the way up, that is not overheating.
Like Jowilker, I don't think you have a problem.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 PM
clayster
New User
Cool! will keep ya'll updated on my progress! Thanks for all the help guys! Going to switch out the pump, temp sensor and put a overflow tank on it this weekend !

Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have new everything and mine regulates itself just fine at around 190 in the cooler weather, but in normal weather its at 200 most of the time and in traffic it gets to be 210-220 if i dont keep moving. i really dont think you have a problem, i would invest in a gauge that tells you the actual numbers. also i have seen how the insides of some of these motors can be, especially when its 40 years old and original. chances are you have some buildup of scale, rust, corrosion in all those little passages and your coolant simply cant flow as efficiently? that combined with your water pump bearing problem?

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Kalve
Posting Guru
Is it still overheating? I think I found the problem on mine is was the metal coils in the factory radiator hose were rusted up an pieces of it got into the radiator & the radiator hose was almost stopped up by them.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 PM
86ford302help
Senior User
Did you get it fixed? I'm having the same problem with mine, 1967 f100 with a 352FE, never had an over heating problem until now and it is getting wayyy hotter than it used to, it sat for about 4 months and when I started it is when the problem started, I can run it for about 3-5 minutes and I have to shut it off, im not sure of the temp but I know its running hotter than usual, replaced the thermostat and hoses, what could be causing this?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
86ford302help
Senior User
the radiator could be stopped up cuz the truck sat with water in the radiator for a good while and it was rust colored when drained, but I cant afford a new radiator so im not sure what to do or how to check the radiator.

Quick Reply: 71 f100 running hot