Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses a drop in bed liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Dark Waters
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who uses a drop in bed liner?

Brand? Likes-dislikes? Pros/cons?

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't, and I don't recommend them to anyone.

Besides the fact that they allow water to be trapped between the liner and bed, allowing for serious corrosion, there's just no grip to them. Unless you strap down whatever you're hauling it slides all over the place.

Everybody I know that's used one has regretted it.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I Have a YORK bedliner in my crew cab because it came in it and already wore the paint off so i left it. But it has provisions for 2x6s every 2" so you can section off your load so it does not slide

Bedliners and other truck bed protection products from Auto Trim Design of the Greater Lehigh Valley.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 PM
polarismuddman
Senior User
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
so strange.
i read often how they "trap water" and rust your bed out.
yet iv never seen it happen lol.
i had a plasic under bed rail type on my old '96 f150 and every couple years id pull it out to wash under it and mostly just to look at the condition of the bed and paint.
every time i lifted it,it was dry as could be.dusty/dirty actually.id hose it down to see paint that looked far nicer than the rest of the truck lmao.
same experience with the ones that go on top of the bed rails.
cool thing about them is you can find them everywhere used for 50-100 bucks.
the easy pulling stuff off like wood and brush is nice.easy to shovel off mulch etc too.
the lack of grip surface i could see being a sucky thing,depending on what you haul.
strap loose items down i guess or they'll slide all over.
i totally killed that bed on the outside(dented to heck,and scratched all over.)but under that liner it looked like the day i bought it lol.you knw how a bed will get all wavy when throwing wood in it over time? not that bed.the outside sure did though.
i wouldn't get to fussy with brand names.find a good used one and start throwing whatever you want in it.
if i recall mine was a pendaliner? -some kind of name like that.it was stamped up on the front in the center.that's why i recall it (was on the truck when i got it.)
im talking daily hauling wood/brush/mulch etc here for a tree service.not just a couple cord per year.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I just use a rubber bed mat and nothing else. I like it the best. The drop in liners are complete crap and I dont like the spray/roll on type because you will never get it all off if you have to and if they chip or flake, then moisture will get behind it and cause rust. If the inside of the bed looks bad, just get it repainted and get a rubber mat.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
jpcnorthwood
Senior User
The drop in liners are good. I had them in both of my other trucks and I have been watching Craigslist for one for my newer truck. I have a rubber bedliner now and I do like how things do not slide around. Maybe I will throw it on top of my drop in when I get that.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

I've had a ford bed liner since the truck was new off the lot. and i agree i don't see how it traps water every time i lift mine it's dry no rust just dusty. I love it, yeah crap slides around but If you have crap in the bed shouldn't it be strapped down anyways?? And i like that i can put a piece of old furniture in the bed and not worry about a spray/roll on bed liner scratching it all up. Most liners you don't have to worry about it chipping or fading an having to redo it over again. My .02 always had one always will.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM
m715
Junior User
- Rubber bed mats, stops stuff from sliding, cheap, easiest to install (just roll out), but only provides protection for the bottom of the bed
- Bed liners can be cheap, easy to put in, and provide good protection, but wear against paint, trap water=rust in NY anyway and everything slides around. (oil underneath helps prevent rust)
- Roll on bed liners I've had mixed results with, not much protection (generally thin coating), and I haven't been happy with the one i used, i would just paint the bed instead
- Spray in bed liners, friend had Rhino liner sprayed on about 1/4"? thick, full bed and top of bed rails, great traction, tough, and has held up really well to abuse, but most expensive almost $400?

Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 PM
rikard
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of my drop in liners have protected the bed well without causing rot. I used old truck mud flaps screwed to the bed to keep stuff from sliding.
regards
rikard

Old 10-10-2010, 11:00 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
i had one in my truck, and it rusted on top of the wheel wells, almost all the way through. They are extremely slippery when some snow get in there. i am not a fan at all

Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 AM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im thinking of either doing a Herculiner or finding a bedrug.

I saw a bedrug on craigslist for $50 a few months back. Still kicking myself for not getting it.

For right now I just have a big rubber mat in it.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Maybe it depends on the condition of the bed when you install it; maybe they're not installed properly; maybe it depends on your climate- I don't know.

Like I said, everybody I know that's used one has regretted it. My uncle had one in his F150 and trapped water rotted out the wheel wells and random places on the bed. A friend used one and it would trap water right up next to the cab on the passenger side. He never knew it until he noticed water dripping from that corner of the bed. And I've known a couple of other people with the same problems.

I agree w/ Texasguy- I have a rubber bed mat and that's good enough for me.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 AM
wickedklown83
Senior User
agreed... i wont say you should or shouldnt... its personal opinion.. but my ipinion on it is i have had one in my 97 ranger as long as i have owned it and under it is dusty as all hell, but rust free... and i EXTREMELY abuse the bed.. also my 89 f250 had a bedliner in it its whole life and under it is pretty well clean... a few minor surface rust spots from the bedliner rubbing

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
Got rid of the bed liner that came with the truck. Tried "rock-it " from SEM do it yourself. Was going to spray it but, too windy so I rolled it in with a 4" roller w/ a 3/4" nap. Looks good but time will tell. I hear from others that on the rubberized coatings the clumps of rubber pull out but, don't know for sure. Anything is a little better than a sheet of plywood.

Quick Reply: Who uses a drop in bed liner?