Replacing The Fuel Filter 2004 And Newer F150 Pickups

By -

By "Superrangerman2002"

My F-150 filter has 25,000 miles and it looks like this.

That was a clean rag.

I always change my fuel filters right around every 25000 miles.

I believe that Ford says something like 30000 miles, but I don’t know for sure.

With the quality of gas coming out of the pumps due to last years hurricanes, it’s any bodys guess as to what you are really getting.

Fuel filters are one of the most neglected fitlers, and often are directly related to poor mpg.

My total cost was right around $6.00 and it took me longer to type up the article than it did to actually change the filter.

Pretty cheap mod to keep the mpg’s up if you ask me.

A quick how to on fuel filter changing for new F150s.

At any point, DO NOT FORCE anything, as it will result in big bucks. If you can’t remove anything with gentle to moderate force, you are doing something wrong.

Getting started, Items you need:

Fram 8018 fuel filter or equivalent, $5.99 at Walmart.
5/16 Line compression removal tool, $2.50 or so for a plastic assorted set at your local parts shack.
Medium size flat blade screw driver
Small pick or jewelers flat blade screw driver
Some towels or rags
Rubber mallet and a wooden dowel (not totally necessary)

Removing pressure from the fuel system

Locate and remove the fuse cover on the passenger side kick panel, the fuel reset switch is located in front of it with a red rubber top as seen here.

It is very important that you release the pressure other wise you will have a large volume of gas spraying out. There are two ways of doing this, Remove the fuse (which I don’t recommend for the possibility of removing the wrong one and messing something up), or tripping the inertia fuel reset switch.

With the motor running and all accessories off use the end of a hammer handle placed on the middle of the switch, and then tap the metal end with a rubber mallet. If you are afraid of breaking the switch, remove the two bolts that fasten it to the wall and gently tap the switch against something hard.

It might take a few hits, but once the switch is disabled, the motor will run rough until it dies. Once the motor dies, crank it over a few times to make sure most of the fuel pressure is released.

With the pressure released, you can now work on the fuel filter.

Removing the fuel filter and reinstalling of new filter

The filter is under the drivers side door, on the inside frame rail, near the rear of the transfer case. Make sure to note what direction the filter is oriented, flow points to the front of the truck.

Starting with the front end of the fuel filter, unhook and swing the metal retaining clip out of the way as shown, then slip the line removal tool on to the front end of the fuel filter as shown in the picture (the gray thing).

Using gentle pressure, compress the metal fitting towards the fuel filter, then slide the tool towards the front of the truck into the line fitting until firm. The line fitting should then slide right off of the old filter. Fuel will still spray out so beware! A old rag covering the line is a good idea to minimize spray. At this point you may want to unhook the line from the plastic c-clamp that holds this line.

The rear line is a lot more delicate, and you must be GENTLE. As seen in the above photo, use a small pick and gently raise the center of this fitting, it doesn’t need to go far. Next use the line tool in the same fashion as previously stated for the front end, and the fitting should come off with little effort.

Now that both ends of the filter have been disconnected, take the flat blade screw driver and pry the old filter out of the clamps.

Now its time to install the new filter.

Simply remove any plastic pieces on the new filter and discard them. Next install the new filter in the clamps just like the old filter with the flow arrow pointed towards the from of the truck.

Next, connect the front steel line on to the filter, to do this simply compress the fitting onto the filter until it will not go on any further. Next rehook the retaining clip as it was before, if it goes on with out trouble, you should have the line hooked up correctly.

Finally hook up the rear line in a similar fashion. Once on the filter as far is it will go, press in the locking blue centerpiece.

Double check all of your connections, and hook up the fuel line clamp if you had unhooked it.

Restarting your truck

After you have checked all of your connections, reset the fuel pump inertia switch by pushing down on the red button until it clicks.

Next, turn on the ignition (don’t start) and count to 10 and then turn off, repeat this three or four times. The fuel pump may make some sounds, but this is normal. Make sure to check the filter connections with the ignition on. If you have leaks, you need to check your connections.

After you have cycled the ignition a few times and don’t have any leaks, go ahead and start the motor. It should start right up, but might run a bit rough until the air is worked out of the fuel system.

With the motor running, check the filter one more time for leaks.

Button up the fues panel, and you shoud be good to go!

Congrats, you just saved a whole bunch of money!

How to Guides

View All >
Top 10 WORST Excuses to NOT Buy a Ford Truck!
Slideshow: Ten worst excuses for not buying a Ford truck or SUV.
Read It
5 Reasons Why the Ford Bronco Is Experiencing a Sales Slump
Slideshow: For two straight quarters now.
Read It
Ford F-150 Lightning Is the Latest EV to Receive Price Cuts
Slideshow: Ford's bold move: Price cuts propel 2024 F-150 Lightning sales.
Read It