FORD FUSION HYBRID EARNS SPOT ON CAR AND DRIVER’S LIST OF “˜10BEST’ CARS FOR 2010
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Click here to download related images.
- Ford Fusion Hybrid has been named to CAR and DRIVER magazine’s list of “10Best” cars for 2010; Fusion is now among America’s top 10-selling vehicles and the No. 1-selling domestic car
- The Ford Fusion recently won the prestigious MOTOR TREND Car of the Year® award
- Ford Fusion Hybrid is America’s most fuel-efficient midsize car with an EPA estimated 41 mpg rating in the city and 36 mpg on the highway, topping the Toyota Camry hybrid by 8 mpg in the city and 2 mpg on the highway
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 30, 2009 – The hits keep coming for America’s most fuel-efficient midsize sedan, the Ford Fusion. The Fusion Hybrid has been honored as one of CAR and DRIVER magazine’s “10Best” cars for 2010, just weeks after winning the prestigious MOTOR TREND Car of the Year® award.
“CAR and DRIVER is always looking for those cars that are most engaging to drive, and in our experience the Ford Fusion Hybrid is the first hybrid vehicle that really delivers a fun driving experience,” said Eddie Alterman, editor-in-chief, CAR and DRIVER, noting that the Fusion Hybrid is only the second hybrid ever to make the magazine’s “10Best” list.
“We were very impressed with how seamlessly the hybrid powertrain functioned,” Alterman said. “We were also impressed with Ford SYNC® and how seamlessly it worked.”
But Alterman says what really sealed the deal for Fusion Hybrid is the simple fact that it’s fun. “The vehicle is entertaining,” he explained. “It’s really fun to drive, and we had fun trying to improve our mileage using the SmartGauge™ technology.”
A total of 58 vehicles were in the running for the CAR and DRIVER “10Best” list. All of the contenders were put through a week of rigorous testing and judged based on three criteria: how well they perform their intended mission, i.e. luxury, sport; how engaging and fun they are to drive; and how much value they deliver.
“Being ranked one of CAR and DRIVER’s ‘10Best’ cars for 2010 is high praise indeed,” said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president, Ford Global Product Development. “In addition to being fun to drive, the Fusion Hybrid offers unsurpassed fuel economy that our customers truly appreciate with an EPA estimated rating of 41 mpg in the city and the ability to travel more than 700 miles on a single tank of gas.”
Despite the slump in overall industry sales, 2009 has been a record-breaking year for the Ford Fusion. Sales are at an all-time high, with the Fusion Hybrid accounting for almost 20 percent of total Fusion retail sales. Perhaps even more significant, more than 60 percent of Fusion Hybrid sales have been to customers coming from import brands – mostly Toyota and Honda.
Fusion Hybrid awards and accolades
Additional awards and accolades for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid include:
- “Top Safety Pick” rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- 2009 Ward’s Interior of the Year Special Achievement Award for Best Graphic Display for SmartGauge with EcoGuide digital instrument cluster
- Great Car for the Long-haul Salesman by Kelley Blue Book kbb.com
- Named one of America’s Top 40 New Cars by MOTOR TREND magazine
- Rated the No. 1 Hybrid Family Sedan by CAR and DRIVER in a recent comparison test by the magazine
- Named 2009 Editors Choice for Fuel Sipper by CAR and DRIVER
- Named Best Hybrid for the Money in the Midsize Car segment by cars.com
- Named one of 2009 Top 10 Green Cars by Kelley Blue Book kbb.com
- Earned The Detroit News Readers’ Choice Award for “Best Value”
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 200,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.
Car and Driver
Car and Driver’s expert editorial team is recognized by car enthusiasts and automotive manufacturers as credible journalists who practice to the highest standards. The magazine is published twelve times each year delivering an audience of over 11 million readers monthly (source: MRI Fall 2008). With a circulation of 1.3 million copies (ABC December 2008), Car and Driver is the world’s largest monthly automotive magazine. The magazine is a leading publication for in-market buyers, and the Car and Driver brand extends to many platforms including a web site, mobile site, radio, custom marketing programs and an integrated marketing database.