Enhanced Ford Mondeo with New Hybrid Wagon Unveiled
Ford’s 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel and eight-speed rotary dial automatic transmission introduced, with vehicle due in March.
The enhanced Ford Mondeo – with elegant new exterior and interior design details and a new Hybrid Wagon variant for the first time – was revealed at the Brussels Motor Show in Belgium, for delivery from March.
“The Ford Mondeo Hybrid offers a unique driving experience with its refined automatic transmission and ability to pull away silently,” said Roelant de Waard, Ford European Marketing V.P. “Combined with the benefits of a low CO2 petrol engine we expect the Hybrid to account for up to 50 percent of sales.”
“At the same time we are introducing an all-new diesel powertrain with selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology to meet and exceed the latest Euro 6d Temp emissions standards, with an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission available,” added de Waard.
The new Mondeo Hybrid is a unique offering in its segment and further significant Mondeo upgrades include:
- An even more refined petrol-electric driving experience for the fuel-efficient Mondeo Hybrid
- Ford’s advanced 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine introduced for superior long-distance cruising
- Ford’s new intelligent eight-speed automatic transmission, which adapts shift patterns to driving style for improved refinement, and is controlled using a stylish and ergonomic rotary gear shift dial
- Adaptive Cruise Control enhanced with Stop & Go joins Mondeo’s sophisticated suite of driver assistance technologies, for easier driving in motorway and stop-start traffic
Wagon Versatility. Hybrid Efficiency
For customers who require greater load-carrying capability, the new Mondeo Hybrid wagon delivers the driving range and freedom offered by a traditional combustion engine with the efficiency and refinement of an electric powertrain.
In both wagon and coupe-inspired four-door body styles, the self-charging Mondeo Hybrid is capable of pure electric driving and offers silent key start capability for refinement particularly in city and stop-start driving scenarios. The powertrain eliminates both range anxiety and the need for customers to use an external power source to charge the battery.
The latest generation of Mondeo Hybrid powertrain control software delivers a smooth, linear response to acceleration demand for a more refined driving experience. The enhanced powertrain software is also more effective at using the engine’s torque to deliver greater fuel efficiency and performance – seamlessly adjusting transmission ratios to utilise the highest engine torque at lowest engine speed.
The hybrid powertrain delivers 187PS, and combines a specially-developed 2.0-litre Atkinson cycle petrol engine; electric motor; generator; 1.4kWh lithium-ion battery; and a Ford-developed power-split automatic transmission that emulates the performance of a continuously-variable transmission.
Regenerative braking technology captures up to 90 percent of the energy normally lost during braking to replenish the battery, contributing to anticipated CO2 emissions from a targeted 98g/km for the existing hybrid four-door, and anticipated CO2 emissions of 103g/km for the newly launched wagon.
Further technologies designed to help drivers optimise efficiency without sacrificing comfort include:
- Ford’s SmartGauge interface for monitoring fuel and energy consumption with features including Brake Coach that encourages gradual braking to help return more energy to the battery
- Electric power-assisted steering; and electrically-powered air-conditioning, powertrain cooling and vacuum systems, which significantly reduce drag on the engine
- A specially-developed exhaust gas heat recovery system that enables faster cabin warming
The new wagon body style provides 403 litres load capacity beneath the cargo cover for Mondeo Hybrid customers with the rear seats in place, and up to 1,508 litres with the rear seats folded, while an innovative flat floor over the battery pack makes loading and unloading of large or bulky items easier. Additional storage is concealed beneath the load floor.
Enhanced Ford Mondeo with New Hybrid Wagon Unveiled continued…