CLEARING THE AIR FOR ALLERGY SUFFERERS: NEW FORD CABIN AIR FILTERS HELP PROVIDE RELIEF
2010 Ford Fusion
Click here to download related images.
Contact: Said Deep | sdee[email protected] | 313.594.0942
- Cabin air filters installed in 2010 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ are now allergen rated to remove pollen, mold spores and other airborne irritants
- Allergen-reducing cabin filters will be used in many new Ford products including Ford Fiesta, which goes on sale in North America this year
- Ford is the only automaker in Europe whose interiors achieve the stringent official TÜV Rhineland® allergy-friendly certification
- Allergic rhinitis, commonly known as “hay fever,” affects up to 30 percent of adults and as many as 40 percent of children, costing more than $11 billion annually in the U.S. alone
CONTEXT / BACKGROUND:
For the millions of people who suffer from airborne allergies, Ford is making a small change that could produce huge benefits. Beginning with the 2010 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ, more efficient, upgraded allergen filters have been installed in the vehicles’ climate control systems. The particulate filters remove pollen, mold spores and road dust from outside air. The result is a cleaner, fresher cabin for occupants.
Ford is planning to use the high-quality cabin filters in a host of new vehicles, including the Ford Fiesta, which goes on sale in North America this year.
IMAGES: Available at www.media.ford.com.
According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, the costs of treating hay fever and similar nasal allergies have skyrocketed, reaching more than $11 billion annually – mostly for prescription medications.
For the 30 to 40 percent of people estimated to suffer from allergies, improvements in air quality can make a big difference in their symptoms, and consequently their health care expenses.
Ford’s new cabin air filter removes the most troublesome airborne allergens, such as pollen and mold spores.
The cabin filter used in North America is similar to the one that has helped certify Ford vehicles in Europe as being allergy-friendly by the independent testing organization TÜV Rhineland. Ford is the only automaker in Europe with the official TÜV allergy-friendly certification.
“Upgrading the cabin air filter to remove allergens and airborne pollutants will help our millions of allergy-suffering customers find relief while driving their Ford cars, trucks and SUVs. This is a great example of how Ford is examining every aspect of vehicle engineering to maximize consumer benefits.”
– Adam Barrow, Feature and Branding Manager, Ford Product Marketing
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 198,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Volvo. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.