perf-list-digest Wednesday, December 16 1998 Volume 01 : Number 173

Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance
Visit our web site:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
with the words "unsubscribe perf-list-digest" in the body of the
In this issue:

FTE Perf - Re: C6
RE: FTE Perf - C6



Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:26:01 -0800
From: Vogt Family
Subject: FTE Perf - Re: C6

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:20:12 -0500, wrote:
> Sleddog I need to explain: Your comment:>> ok, anyone know if the sprag
> is something that high perf versions are available? or only stock units
> Sprag is also referred to as "overrunning" or "one way" clutches. It is a
> set of roller bearings in a outer race that has a seperate cavity for each
> roller and contains deep ends and shallow ends for each roller to be in and
> a funny looking(accordian like) spring that tries to keep the roller in one
> end of the cavity. (I can't remember which end) Inner race is the
> outputshaft, I think. I can't find my parts breakdown layouts of a C6
> anywhere.

Not to nit pick wit you Azie, but a sprag is not the same as a roller
clutch. A roller clutch is just that. The springs are not necessarilly
accordian like, in the Powerglide torque convertor (and other
applications I am sure) thay are coils. A sprag serves the same
function but is heavier duty and more expensive so they are rarely
used. I had a drawing of one but I can not find it. It is more like a
set of cams in place of the rollers, I believe there are no ramps like a
roller clutch.

> That really isn't a good explaniation for it, but it is the best I can do.
> Anybody want to jump in here and explain it.???

It is best explained with a drawing, I think.

> If there are High performance versions, I am not aware of it.

I don't know if there are any high performance parts being sold as such
but the usual case with automatic transmissions is that one part from
this year and another from that add up to a good transmission in the

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info


Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:19:50 -0800
From: "Chris Stephens"
Subject: RE: FTE Perf - C6

Hi guys this is my first post so if I screw something up.....oops sorry!
Well IM not sure if it helps or not but I have a haynes book for overhauling
c-3 through c-6 including aod and it says that there are three types of a
sprag which they call a one way clutch.

#1 has two end bushings, a retaining cage, 16 springs and rollers and can be
completely disassembled.

#2 has one end bushing, the retaining cage and spring assembled as a unit
and only the rollers can be disassembled.

#3 has both the end bushings, the retaining cage, springs and rollers as an
assembled unit and cannot be disassembled at all.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- -
Ben Franklin: "We must hang together, or we shall most assuredly hang
70 mustang convertible in the works now going restomod
52 f-100 someday going restomod ( rust bucket )
88 ranger Gt. daily driver

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info


End of perf-list-digest V1 #173

+--------------- Ford Truck Enthusiasts - Performance ----------------+
| Send posts to, |
| List removal information is on the web site. |
+---------- Visit Our Web Site: ----------+

ENDTAG; } ?>