From: owner-97up-list-digestford-trucks.com (97up-list-digest)
To: 97up-list-digestford-trucks.com
Subject: 97up-list-digest V2 #218
Reply-To: 97up-listford-trucks.com
Sender: owner-97up-list-digestford-trucks.com
Errors-To: owner-97up-list-digestford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk


97up-list-digest Monday, August 16 1999 Volume 02 : Number 218



=======================================================================
Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans
Visit our web site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To unsubscribe, send email to:
majordomoford-trucks.com
with the words "unsubscribe 97up-list-digest" in the body of the
message.
=======================================================================
In this issue:

FTE 97up - serpentine
Re: FTE 97up - F250SD boat/truck?
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty
RE: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty
Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt AND OXYGEN SENSORS
Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt AND OXYGEN SENSORS
FTE 97up - question?????/
FTE 97up - 2000 F250 pricing
Re: FTE 97up - question?????/

=======================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:22:38 -0500
From: "shane o. conger"
Subject: FTE 97up - serpentine

Mitchell,
I own an 1998 F-150 XLT SC SB with 4.6l, I have about 29,000 miles
on it and have had no trouble(noises or otherwise) from my belt and
would say that it is not normal to have it replaced every 12,000 miles.

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:54:46 -0400
From: Karen Wall / Steve Offiler
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - F250SD boat/truck?

At 09:31 PM 8/14/99 EDT, you wrote:

>Well i was empressed today again, took on close to 3 ft of water in 2wd in
>the PSD, a chevy stopped to think about it, i just chuged about 50 yds
>thru,wave action in front of truck!
>i also passed a stalled berreta( moron) i would have yanked off the street
>but it was still raining and current was stiff down the street. i think i am
>going to have to rename the F250 SD the "Gunboat".

Recipe for disaster!

Once, in my slightly younger and crazier days, I tried the same trick. I
was driving a 4x4 that was not a Ford, 'nuff said. The truck was lifted
and had a very high-placed air intake to begin with, right where hood meets
grille. The venue was a flooded railroad underpass on my normal commute to
work, and being so familiar with the area I was able to estimate how deep
the water was. It looked okay, so I chugged in at a very careful pace -
and I too noted some wave action in front of the truck. This was the
critical detail. Something changed; my speed might have slowed slightly,
or the wave bounced off the walls of the underpass, or whatever. Anyway,
it came back at me, just a little wave a few inches high. Just exactly
enough to wash up into the air intake. End result: one cylinder filled
with water and hydro-locked the engine. After pulling all the sparkplugs
and draining it out, and changing the oil, it still ran - but wasn't quite
right. After a compression test and finding very low compression on the
cylinder that had filled with water, I ripped it apart and discovered a
nasty "S" shaped connecting rod. Fortunately I had other means of
transportation and some time on my hands, so I did a complete engine
rebuild over a period of about 5 weeks, spending about $1000 (this was
1986). I shudder to think how it would have played out in 1999 with a PSD.


Steve O.
soffilerici.net
North Scituate RI




== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:49:19 -0500
From: "Mike Fairleigh"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

'98 F-150 SC 4.6L 4x2, 18,000 miles, not a sound from the belt. Your
situation is NOT normal, IMHO.

For what it's worth, we also have an '88 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a
serpentine belt on the 3.0L Mitsubishi V6. We had put about 50,000 miles on
it and I changed the belt as preventative maintenance (the original belt was
perfectly quiet and was working fine). It immediately squealed something
terrible. Since nothing else had changed, it had to be a defective belt,
right? So I exchanged it. Still squealed. Nobody could figure it out.
For reasons I can't remember now, I bought a new alternator pulley from the
dealer and put it on. Not a sound since, and the belt has been replaced
again since then. I have no explanation.

Mike Fairleigh
mikefsky.net
...Always remembering our veterans.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Mitchell
To:
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 7:35 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt


> The serpentine belt on my 98 F150, 4.6L, V8, was replaced by the dealer at
> 12,000 miles and now at 25,000 miles. What prompted me to bring it in was
> an intermittent loud squealing noise every morning.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:30:12 EDT
From: BIGDAAGaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty

I had a couple of questions about my last post, so I'll try to answer
them. Nathan, I have a 3.73 rear end without ABS. And Vaughn, I have the
Weld Scorpio rims with BFG 35X12.5 AT's. The rims are 16.5 X 9.75. The
front of the truck is lifted 4.5 inches. The back is lifted 2 inches. I
seem to have plenty of room for the tires, they haven't rubbed yet. The only
complaint I have, is a slight vibration in the rear end if I give it a lot of
gas at takeoff. From what I have been told, the vibration only occurs in
crew cab models because of the carrier bearing. If anyone has more info
about this, please let me know.



Mike
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:31:54 -0700
From: "Andrew Chung"
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

It's on the same subject but on a different type of vehicle. My father has
a Caddilac with a serpentine belt. It never made a sound, until he got the
belt changed. Then it would squeal like crazy when her first started the
car until the whole car warmed up. it turned out that belt was put in but
torqued incorrectly. The alternator, as Mike Farleigh mentioned, was the
culprit. With the belt on too tight, it was wearing the bearings in the
alternator down. The bearings grinding themselves to deaht was the sound we
heard. Needless to say, my father went through 2 alternators before they
realized it was being torqued too much. WHen you say loud, is it really
loud? My father's noise you could hear through the walls on a second story
house when he left.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-97up-listford-trucks.com
[mailto:owner-97up-listford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mike Fairleigh
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 10:49
To: 97up-listford-trucks.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt


'98 F-150 SC 4.6L 4x2, 18,000 miles, not a sound from the belt. Your
situation is NOT normal, IMHO.

For what it's worth, we also have an '88 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a
serpentine belt on the 3.0L Mitsubishi V6. We had put about 50,000 miles on
it and I changed the belt as preventative maintenance (the original belt was
perfectly quiet and was working fine). It immediately squealed something
terrible. Since nothing else had changed, it had to be a defective belt,
right? So I exchanged it. Still squealed. Nobody could figure it out.
For reasons I can't remember now, I bought a new alternator pulley from the
dealer and put it on. Not a sound since, and the belt has been replaced
again since then. I have no explanation.

Mike Fairleigh
mikefsky.net
...Always remembering our veterans.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Mitchell
To:
Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 7:35 AM
Subject: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt


> The serpentine belt on my 98 F150, 4.6L, V8, was replaced by the dealer at
> 12,000 miles and now at 25,000 miles. What prompted me to bring it in was
> an intermittent loud squealing noise every morning.


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:54:51 -0400
From: "Mitchell"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Chung
To:
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 2:31 PM
Subject: RE: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

No it's not that loud. It's a chirp, chirp, chirp, sounds like bearings but
once the vehicle warms up it goes away. Also it is much worse when the air
is very humid, as in the morning. I guess I'll cross my fingers and see
what the last 12,000 miles of my warranty brings. A new belt makes it go
away completely. It sounds great now, and that was what happened the first
time around. At least I have it on record with the dealer. I used to think
this dealer had a decent service dept. but after this and another incident
when I asked them if the speedo could be calibrated and they said no ( I
have since found that it should be capable of being calibrated), I am not so
sure they are up to speed.

Stephen

>WHen you say loud, is it really
> loud? My father's noise you could hear through the walls on a second
story
> house when he left.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-97up-listford-trucks.com
> [mailto:owner-97up-listford-trucks.com]On Behalf Of Mike Fairleigh
> Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 10:49
> To: 97up-listford-trucks.com
> Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
>
>
> '98 F-150 SC 4.6L 4x2, 18,000 miles, not a sound from the belt. Your
> situation is NOT normal, IMHO.
>
> For what it's worth, we also have an '88 Plymouth Grand Voyager with a
> serpentine belt on the 3.0L Mitsubishi V6. We had put about 50,000 miles
on
> it and I changed the belt as preventative maintenance (the original belt
was
> perfectly quiet and was working fine). It immediately squealed something
> terrible. Since nothing else had changed, it had to be a defective belt,
> right? So I exchanged it. Still squealed. Nobody could figure it out.
> For reasons I can't remember now, I bought a new alternator pulley from
the
> dealer and put it on. Not a sound since, and the belt has been replaced
> again since then. I have no explanation.
>
> Mike Fairleigh
> mikefsky.net
> ...Always remembering our veterans.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Mitchell
> To:
> Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 7:35 AM
> Subject: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt
>
>
> > The serpentine belt on my 98 F150, 4.6L, V8, was replaced by the dealer
at
> > 12,000 miles and now at 25,000 miles. What prompted me to bring it in
was
> > an intermittent loud squealing noise every morning.
>
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:15:12 EDT
From: CERESJohnGaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

I have found that the dealers service department is generally very capable on
the stuff they want to do or have the people trained to do. Get away from
the stuff they specialize in and they are reluctant to help. In your case,
it was a modification. Nothing was wrong, except you had ,presumably, changed
tires. He simply wasn't interested or the service writer (do any dealers not
have those these days) didn't know and wasn't interested.

JG
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:12:26 EDT
From: RSnoviaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty

In a message dated 99-08-15 14:33:02 EDT, you write:

carrier bearing shouldn't have anything to do with it since it is on the
sides on chunk, maybe you mean pinion bearing or u joint angle is more than
normal.


RS

Date: 99-08-15 14:33:02 EDT
From: BIGDAAGaol.com
Sender: owner-97up-listford-trucks.com
Reply-to: 97up-listford-trucks.com
To: 97up-listford-trucks.com

I had a couple of questions about my last post, so I'll try to answer
them. Nathan, I have a 3.73 rear end without ABS. And Vaughn, I have the
Weld Scorpio rims with BFG 35X12.5 AT's. The rims are 16.5 X 9.75. The
front of the truck is lifted 4.5 inches. The back is lifted 2 inches. I
seem to have plenty of room for the tires, they haven't rubbed yet. The
only
complaint I have, is a slight vibration in the rear end if I give it a lot
of
gas at takeoff. From what I have been told, the vibration only occurs in
crew cab models because of the carrier bearing. If anyone has more info
about this, please let me know.



Mike
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html


----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
Return-Path:
Received: from aol.com (rly-za03.mail.aol.com [172.31.36.99]) by
air-za04.mail.aol.com (v60.25) with ESMTP; Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:33:02 -0400
Received: from ford-trucks.com (ford-trucks.com [192.41.63.203]) by
rly-za03.mx.aol.com (v60.25) with ESMTP; Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:32:53 -0400
Received: (fordtruclocalhost) by ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id OAA20673; Sun,
15 Aug 1999 14:31:00 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from imo12.mx.aol.com (imo12.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.2]) by
ford-trucks.com (8.8.5) id OAA20639; Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:30:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: BIGDAAGaol.com
Received: from BIGDAAGaol.com
by imo12.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v22.4.) id sHHEa05141 (7808)
for ; Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
Message-ID:
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:30:12 EDT
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty
To: 97up-listford-trucks.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: AOL 4.0 for Windows 95 sub 21
Sender: owner-97up-listford-trucks.com
Precedence: bulk
Reply-To: 97up-listford-trucks.com

>>
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:15:33 EDT
From: RAMWORKERaol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Tires on F-250 Super Duty

He means the carrier bearing for the two piece driveshaft. The vibration he
refers to is known in brand "D" circles as "launch shudder." It is sometimes
"fixed" by replacing the two piece driveshaft with a one piece. He might
repair
his by using a spacer block to lower the carrier bearing and restore (or at
least
get close to) his original pinion angle settings.

Best Regards,
Robert



In a message dated 8/15/99 4:15:44 PM Central Daylight Time, RSnoviaol.com
writes:

> carrier bearing shouldn't have anything to do with it since it is on the
> sides on chunk, maybe you mean pinion bearing or u joint angle is more
than
> normal.
>
>
> RS
>
> Date: 99-08-15 14:33:02 EDT
> From: BIGDAAGaol.com
> Sender: owner-97up-listford-trucks.com
> Reply-to: 97up-listford-trucks.com
> To: 97up-listford-trucks.com
>
> I had a couple of questions about my last post, so I'll try to
answer
> them. Nathan, I have a 3.73 rear end without ABS. And Vaughn, I have
the
> Weld Scorpio rims with BFG 35X12.5 AT's. The rims are 16.5 X 9.75. The
> front of the truck is lifted 4.5 inches. The back is lifted 2 inches. I
> seem to have plenty of room for the tires, they haven't rubbed yet. The
> only
> complaint I have, is a slight vibration in the rear end if I give it a
lot
> of
> gas at takeoff. From what I have been told, the vibration only occurs in
> crew cab models because of the carrier bearing. If anyone has more info
> about this, please let me know.
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 20:29:06 -0400
From: "Mitchell"
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt

Actually I didn't change tires. When I bought the truck the speedo was off
by 3 mph (low) so to go 65 the speedo has to drive 68. They just didn't
show any recognition that the speedo could be calibrated. My impression was
they'd never heard of such a thing. They certainly could have been hiding
their reluctance to help on such a thing under warranty.

Stephen
- ----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 1999 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt


> I have found that the dealers service department is generally very capable
on
> the stuff they want to do or have the people trained to do. Get away from
> the stuff they specialize in and they are reluctant to help. In your
case,
> it was a modification. Nothing was wrong, except you had ,presumably,
changed
> tires. He simply wasn't interested or the service writer (do any dealers
not
> have those these days) didn't know and wasn't interested.
>
> JG
> == FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html
>

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:27:18 EDT
From: MHooper201aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt AND OXYGEN SENSORS

My 98 F150 now has 23,000 on it; the belt still squeals like hell. In
the morning, humid or when its cool. Have been back to the dealer on
seven occasions; at first they replaced the idler pulley - now they just tell
me they don't notice the problem. So the next cold morning, I'll be
sitting at the dealer (inside) and allow the belt to squeal like hell - then
have them tell me they cannot duplicate the problem... I like many of you
thought I had a decent service department.

Anyone out there having a problem with lack of power (especially w/
the AC on), rough idle? I have narrowed this (unable to duplicate
problem) down to oxygen sensors (supposedly the 4.6 has two). One
sensor which is very easy to change (which I made them do) and one
which takes approx 3 and 1/2 hours to change. comments plse

Mike
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:39:35 EDT
From: TMac79aol.com
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - Serpentine Belt AND OXYGEN SENSORS

In a message dated 8/16/99 1:30:44 AM !!!First Boot!!!, MHooper201aol.com
writes:


the AC on), rough idle? >>

I have both of these problems on my truck as well (but i have the 4.2L
v-6). With the AC on, my truck feels like it's starting off in 2nd or 3rd
gear, but once the engine revs up a little it takes off like a bat out of
hell.
When idling, the truck shakes like hell. It feels like it needs a
tune-up, but of course the dealer said there's nothing wrong. Anyway, hope
you guys can help us out!

Thanks
Tom Maciejewski
'97 F-150 XL SC 4.2L V-6 ,no mods yet. (still trying to keep up on the
payments)
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:34:35 EDT
From: TRITON46Laol.com
Subject: FTE 97up - question?????/

i have a question about the EGR valve and PCV valve. what's the difference?
i've been told that the egr valve recirculates "used" fuel back into the
intake to get reburned. i have been told that the pcv valve returns excess
oil to the intake to get burned up. i don't think it's true about the pcv
valve, but i'm not sure.

any help would be appreciated

Bill
== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:16:15 -0700
From: "ron"
Subject: FTE 97up - 2000 F250 pricing

Nathan,
I missed your 2000 F250 pricing post. Could you please repost or email =
a copy?=20
TIA, and thanks for your support to this NG.
Ron
ronald.millerworldnet.att.net


>FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Prices part II
>FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 pricing III
>Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 Prices
>FTE 97up - Ford has Fixed First BIG Problem on 99.5 PSD
>Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 pricing III
>Re: FTE 97up - 2000 F-150 pricing III


== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:25:45 -0700
From: Danny Gaudenti
Subject: Re: FTE 97up - question?????/

>i have a question about the EGR valve and PCV valve. what's the difference?
>i've been told that the egr valve recirculates "used" fuel back into the
>intake to get reburned. i have been told that the pcv valve returns excess
>oil to the intake to get burned up. i don't think it's true about the pcv
>valve, but i'm not sure.
>
>any help would be appreciated
>
>Bill

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve takes some exhaust gas and feeds
it into the intake to dilute the intake mixture. This is done for
emissions reasons, I can't think of any good reason for it. The PCV
(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve is a good thing. It draws filtered
air into the crankcase and then sucks it into the intake to get burned.
This keeps the air in the crankcase clean of blow-by, oil vapor and other
bad things.

Danny

== FTE: Uns*bscribe and posting info http://www.ford-trucks.com/faq.html

------------------------------

End of 97up-list-digest V2 #218
*******************************

+------ Ford Truck Enthusiasts - 1997 and Newer Trucks and Vans ------+
| Send posts to 97up-listford-trucks.com, |
| List removal information is on the web site. |
+---------- Visit Our Web Site: http://www.ford-trucks.com/ ----------+ ENDTAG; } ?>