Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: April 2, 2007|
|2008 F-Super Duty|
Some 2008 Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit an exhaust odor inside the vehicle, and/or exhaust smoke may be visible from the front of the vehicle.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to inspect the turbocharger to exhaust down pipe connection for a leak.
|NOTE:||USE A SECOND WRENCH TO PREVENT THE FITTINGS FROM TURNING.|
- Remove the turbocharger oil supply tube banjo fitting bolts and copper sealing washers. Discard the copper sealing washers.
- Remove the bolt and the turbocharger oil supply tube and plug openings. Remove and discard the oil supply line gasket.
- Remove the five (5) bolts and the turbocharger heat shield.
- Verify the exhaust leak is coming from the turbocharger to exhaust down pipe connection by inspecting for exhaust soot around the turbocharger to exhaust down pipe connection. If a leak is not present, do not continue with this TSB.
- Remove and discard the two (2) exhaust down pipe to diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) fasteners.
- Hand start new fasteners a couple of turns.
- Remove and discard the turbocharger to exhaust down pipe clamp and turbocharger to exhaust down pipe gasket.
- Install a new gasket on the turbocharger.
- Align the down pipe flange to turbo flange.
- Install a new clamp over the flanges and latch the T-bolt.
- While maintaining exhaust down pipe flange alignment to turbo flange, tighten down the clamp nut approximately 1″.
- Establish a 11/16″ ± 1/8″ (17 mm ± 4 mm) exhaust down pipe to frame clearance using a locally fabricated spacer such as a trimmed piece of 2X4 wood. Place in the frame channel between the frame rail and the down pipe. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 07-7-7
- Confirm exhaust down pipe flange alignment to turbo flange and torque the down pipe clamp to 11 lb-ft (15 N-m).
- Torque the exhaust down pipe to DOC fasteners evenly to 30 lb-ft (40 N-m).
- Position the turbocharger heat shield and install the five (5) bolts. Tighten to 8 lb-ft (11 N-m).
- Install a new oil supply line gasket and apply clean engine oil. Position the turbocharger oil supply line tube and install the bolt. Tighten to 10 lb-in (13 N-m).
CAUTION: ONLY USE BANJO BOLTS WITH A GREEN HEX HEAD. THE GREEN-HEADED BOLTS DO NOT CONTAIN A CHECK VALVE. WHEN VIEWED FROM THE INNER END, THE CORRECT BOLT WILL APPEAR OPEN. FAILURE TO INSTALL THE CORRECT BANJO BOLT MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE TURBOCHARGERS.
- Install two (2) new copper sealing washers and the oil supply tube banjo fittings on the turbo charger oil supply fittings. Tighten to 28 lb-ft (38 N-m). Verify that the turbocharger oil supply tube does not contact the turbocharger actuator linkage.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|W711407-S900||Down Pipe To DOC Fastener (2 Req)|
|7C3Z-5A231-AC||Turbo To Down Pipe Clamp|
|7C3Z-6L612-B||Turbo To Down Pipe Gasket|
|W302474||Oil Supply Line Gasket (2 Req)|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|070707A||2008 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Inspect And Replace The Turbocharger To Down Pipe Gasket Includes Time To Perform Down Pipe Alignment Procedure (This Is An All Inclusive Labor Operation And Should Not Be Claimed With Additional Labor Operations)||1.0 Hr|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|