Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 11, 1998|
|1997-1998 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to add F-150, F-250 LD, and Navigator vehicles, and to revise the text and art accordingly.
Water leaks in various areas of the vehicle as identified below may be causing electrical concerns such as:
- Warning lamps illuminating, and/or
- Improper wiper operation, and/or
- Improper function of electrical accessories
The water leaks may be caused by sealer skips, unseated grommets, and/or clogged drain tubes.
Repair the water leaks. Refer to the following Service Procedures for details on:
- Windshield Leaks
- Cowl Top Leaks
- Cowl Side-to-Door Opening Panel Leaks
- Cowl Side-to-Dash Panel Leaks
- Moonroof Leaks
The following procedures may include using a seam sealer for repairs. Recommended seam sealers are:
|Company||Part Name||Phone Number|
|3M||Ultrapro Seam Sealer||(612) 733-5547 – US|
|Kent||Uniweld Seam Sealer||(800) 654-6333 – US|
(800) 663-2800 – Canada
WINDSHIELD LEAKS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figures 1, 2, and 3
Figure 1 – Article 98-9-13
Figure 2 – Article 98-9-13
Figure 3 – Article 98-9-13
- Remove A-pillar mouldings, rocker panel scuff plates, and cowl lower scuff plates. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501-05.
- Apply a water hose at the bottom center of the windshield and slowly move outboard at a rate of 305mm (1 foot) per 15-20 seconds. Then move up one side, inboard along top of header to the center. Lift the moulding at top of windshield to allow water to pass through windshield moulding.
NOTE: A NARROW NYLON TIP ON THE END OF THE HOSE WILL ALLOW THE OPERATOR TO EASILY SLIDE THE TIP UNDER THE MOULDING AND SLOWLY MOVE IT ALONG THE INSIDE SURFACE.
- To determine if water is entering, have an observer use a flashlight to watch for water as the hose is being moved. The observer should start looking at the dash back panel by pulling back the dash insulator pad above the water location.
- If a leak is detected, document the location and path for future reference.
- Fill any voids with pumpable Butyl Sealer.
NOTE: TO REPAIR WATER LEAKS FOUND AT THE BASE OF THE WINDSHIELD, THE LEAF SCREEN MUST FIRST BE REMOVED.
COWL TOP LEAKS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figure 4
Figure 4 – Article 98-9-13
- Remove the leaf screen by referring to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501-02.
- Spray water into cowl top-to-dash panel seam. Spray for up to 20 minutes.
- Inspect the inner dash panel for water intrusion, starting at the bottom of the cowl area.
- With the trim rocker cover and kick plate removed, pull back carpet and inspect for water.
- If no water is found, look in the area of the cross car beam and/or lower windshield “VIN tag” area.
- Seal inner cowl with seam sealer.
COWL SIDE-TO-DOOR OPENING PANEL LEAKS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figure 5
Figure 5 – Article 98-9-13
- Remove the left front tire.
- Remove the inner fender splash shield from the left front fender. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501-02, for details.
- Remove the grille by referring to the Workshop Manual, Section 501-08.
- Remove the left front fender by referring to the Workshop Manual, Section 501-02.
- Test with water.
- Apply seam sealer along the interface between the cowl and the dash panel. This area can be reached through the access hole located near the top hinge for the front door.
- Reassemble in reverse order.
- Apply paint protection to fender bolts.
COWL SIDE-TO-DASH PANEL LEAKS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figure 6
Figure 6 – Article 98-9-13
- Remove rocker cover and lower scuff panel by referring to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501-05.
- Inspect dash panel-to-cowl side inner sealer for skips and/or missing sealer.
- Test with water at the top of the cowl/leaf screen area and inspect the vehicle for water entry.
- Apply seam sealer along the interface between the cowl, dash, and floor panel.
MOONROOF LEAKS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figure 7
Figure 7 – Article 98-9-13
- Before beginning any diagnosis, contact the Webasto Tech Hotline at (800) 995-5911 Monday-Friday, 9AM-6PM EST.
- Cycle moonroof to open position.
- Check for proper drain tube action by pouring approximately 1.8L (6 oz) of water into trough at each side.
- If tubes appear to be draining properly, remove the interior A-pillar trim and sun visors. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 501-05.
- Pull down the headliner slightly and inspect moonroof drain tubes for kinks and/or twists. The drain tubes must be free from any bends or obstruction of water flow.
- Straighten or cut drain tubes to proper length to allow for free draining.
GROMMETS SERVICE PROCEDURE
Refer To Figure 8
Figure 8 – Article 98-9-13
- Check for missing or improperly seated grommets in the following areas:
- Antenna grommet on passenger side cowl
- Park brake cable grommet on driver side cowl
- Overall instrument panel grommets
- Reseat any loose grommets or replace any missing grommets.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|980913A||Windshield Leaks Service Procedure||0.5 Hr.|
|980913B||Additional Time If Leaf Screen Must Be Removed (Used With Operation A)||0.4 Hr.|
|980913C||Cowl Top Leaks Service Procedure||1.3 Hrs.|
|980913D||Cowl Side-To-Door Opening Panel Leaks Service Procedure||1.9 Hrs.|
|980913E||Cowl Side-To-Dash Panel Leaks Service Procedure||0.4 Hr.|
|980913F||Moonroof Leaks Service Procedure||0.4 Hr.|
|980913G||Grommets Service Procedure||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
|18812 GROMMET(S) LEAKS||68|
|7801610 COWL TOP LEAKS (DASH PANEL)||68|
|7802012 COWL TOP LEAKS (OUTER)||68|
|7802018 COWL SIDE-TO-DASH PANEL LEAKS||68|
|7802039 COWL SIDE-TO-DOOR OPENING PANEL LEAKS||68|
|7803100 WINDSHIELD LEAKS||68|
|78502C53 MOONROOF LEAKS||68|
110000, 190000, 202000, 203000, 205000, 206000