Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 23, 1996|
A “pop/clunk” noise in the front end, steering wander, steering shimmy, negative camber in the alignment, front tire wear and/or a drift/pull condition may be caused by loose front axle pivot bolts.
Use the following diagnostic procedure to determine whether the front axle pivot bolts are loose and the appropriate repair for the condition.
Refer to Figure 1 for the following procedure.
Figure 1 – Article 96-20-13
- Inspect the RH and LH axle pivot brackets and fasteners attaching the front axle to the #1 frame crossmember.
- If the horizontal axle pivot bracket fasteners are not loose, perform normal diagnostic as outlined in the appropriate F-Series Body/Chassis Service Manual, Section 04-00, and TSB Article 96-4-11.
- If the horizontal pivot bracket fasteners are loose and the axle pivot and crossmember have not been damaged, proceed to Step 5.
- If the bracket and/or crossmember holes have been elongated, inspect the holes in the crossmember. If any of the holes are greater than 16mm (5/8″), the frame must be replaced. If the crossmember holes are 16mm (5/8″) or less, replace the axle pivot bracket(s) and continue with the remainder of the Steps.
- Remove the horizontal fasteners. Ream out the horizontal holes in the axle pivot brackets and in the crossmember to 14mm (9/16″). Apply Stud and Bearing Mount Adhesive (EOAZ-19554-BA) to the horizontal Bolts (58697-S2) and add Washers (44880-S2) to both the bolt and nut side of the joint. Torque the nut to 180 N-m (133 lb-ft).
- Inspect the vertical fasteners. If any are loose, apply Stud and Bearing Mount Adhesive and retorque to 118 N-m (87 lb-ft). If the bolts have been damaged, replace them with new Bolts (N802114-S100) and follow the same procedure.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|FOTZ-3B178-A||Pivot Bracket – RH|
|E1TZ-3B178-B||Pivot Bracket – LH|
|EOAZ-19554-BA||Stud And Bearing Mount Adhesive|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|962013A||Apply Stud And Bearing Mount Adhesive And Tighten Bolts||0.9 Hr.|
|962013BL||Replace Left Axle Pivot Bracket||0.8 Hr.|
|962013BR||Replace Right Axle Pivot Bracket||0.7 Hr.|
|962013BT||Replace Both Axle Pivot Brackets||1.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
303000, 304000, 306000, 509000, 702100, 703000
Copyright © 1996 Ford Motor Company