Technical Service Bulletins
|Â Printable View (21734 KB)|
|Publication Date: April 14, 2011|
This article supersedes TSB 10-15-9 to update the vehicle model years, Service Procedure and Part List.
Some 2009-2011 F-150 Platinum vehicles may exhibit tailgate applique separation from the sheet metal.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
|NOTE:||READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE PERFORMING PROCEDURE.|
|NOTE:||OBTAIN ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS AND TOOLS BEFORE PERFORMING PROCEDURE. FAILURE TO USE SPECIFIED MATERIALS AND/OR DEVIATING FROM THE FOLLOWING SERVICE PROCEDURE MAY RESULT IN AN UNSUCCESSFUL REPAIR.|
|NOTE:||SOME STATES REQUIRE USE OF LOW VOC COMPLIANT MATERIALS. THE MATERIALS HAVE BEEN UPDATED WITH THE EQUIVALENT LOW VOC MATERIALS REQUIRED TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.|
- If equipped, remove the rear video camera. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-13.
- Apply masking tape over the tailgate badges and on the tailgate surfaces surrounding the applique.
- Spray a liberal amount of 3Mâ„¢ Prep Solvent-70 or 3Mâ„¢ General Purpose Adhesive Remover (Low VOC Compliant) along the top of the applique and in the separated area between the applique and tailgate. Allow 10 minutes of saturation time for the solvent to breakdown the adhesive tape.
- Separate the top of the applique from the tailgate using a removal tool such as 3Mâ„¢ Side Molding and Emblem Removal Tool or equivalent. (Figure 1)
NOTE: APPLIQUE IS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR (4) ATTACHING CLIPS LOCATED HORIZONTALLY ACROSS THE MIDDLE OF THE PART. VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 12/20/2009 MAY HAVE TWO (2) ADDITIONAL CLIPS, STAGGERED EQUAL DISTANCE ALONG THE TOP EDGE. USE CARE NOT TO DAMAGE THE CLIPS AND CLIP MOUNTING TABS DURING PART REMOVAL. NOTE: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE WHEN REMOVING APPLIQUE AS DAMAGE TO THE PART AND/OR TAILGATE PAINT MAY OCCUR.
Figure 1 – Article 11-4-11
- Continue to carefully work the top section of the applique free using the molding removal tool only as required. Apply additional 3Mâ„¢ Prep Solvent-70 or 3Mâ„¢ General Purpose Adhesive Remover (Low VOC Compliant) and allow time for the solvent to work.
- Once top section of applique is free, remove the tailgate and place on a suitable workstand so the bottom section is raised and accessible. Replicate steps 4 and 5 on the bottom section of the applique.
- Remove applique and place on a suitable work stand equipped with padding that will protect the finish side of the part from damage.
- Remove tailgate release handle from tailgate as per WSM 501-14 section.
- Remove all existing adhesive tape from the applique and tailgate using 3Mâ„¢ Stripe Off Wheel. Operate the wheel at slower RPM for best results. If necessary, have an assistant hold the part.
NOTE: HIGHER SPEED RPM USAGE OF 3Mâ„¢ STRIPE OFF WHEEL MAY RESULT IN APPLIQUE DAMAGE. SLOWER RPM USE OF 3Mâ„¢ STRIPE OFF WHEEL WILL RESULT IN FASTER ADHESIVE TAPE REMOVAL. NOTE: SOLVENT WILL BE ABSORBED IN THE ORIGINAL TAPE AND WILL DRIP ON THE REPLACEMENT TAPE CAUSING A BONDING FAILURE. THEREFORE IT IS CRITICAL TO REMOVE ALL ORIGINAL TAPE.
- Soak the residual adhesive on the ribbed sections along the top and bottom of the applique with 3Mâ„¢ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner or 3Mâ„¢ Specialty Adhesive Remover Liquid (Low VOC Compliant) . Remove all adhesive from the ribs with a wire detail brush and blow with compressed air. (Figure 2)
Figure 2 – Article 11-4-11
- Thoroughly wash the tailgate and applique with MotorcraftÂ® Detail Wash or equivalent to remove all solvent residue. Blow dry and repeat as required.
NOTE: FAILURE TO COMPLETELY REMOVE SOLVENT RESIDUE WILL PREVENT REPLACEMENT TAPE FROM ADHERING CORRECTLY.
- Apply a 13 cm to 15 cm (5″ to 6″) wide layer of masking tape along the entire length of the top and bottom sections on the finish side of the applique. (Figure 3)
Figure 3 – Article 11-4-11
- Tape will be applied to the outside perimeter of the applique in a picture frame pattern. Wipe the flat vertical sides and ribbed horizontal sections along the top and bottom of the applique with Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol. Repeat on the corresponding locations of the tailgate.
- Place the tailgate flat on a suitable work stand with the outside surface exposed. Allow plenty of space in the work area.
- Apply 3Mâ„¢ Acrylic Plus Tape over the top and bottom ribbed sections as shown. (Figure 4)
NOTE: DO NOT APPLY ONE CONTINUOUS LENGTH OF TAPE ACROSS THE BOTTOM. A SIZABLE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE TWO SECTIONS OF TAPE MUST BE PRESENT FOR DRAINAGE. NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE TAPE TO EXTEND PAST THE RIBBED SECTIONS.
Figure 4 – Article 11-4-11
- Apply tape to the vertical outside edges as shown. Do not allow tape to extend to the ribbed sections or near the raised profile in the middle of the part. The individual sections of tape in this area should be no longer than 112 mm (4-3/8″). (Figure 4)
- Use a hand roller to firmly wet-out the tape.
- Apply 13 mm wide by 76 mm (1/2″ wide by 3″ long) bead of 3Mâ„¢ Duramix Universal Adhesive 08214, approximately 1/2″ below the center of the upper sections of tape. Do not allow the adhesive to make contact with the tape. (Figure 4)
NOTE: THE ADHESIVE HAS 10 MINUTES OF WORKTIME.
- Remove tape backing, and with the aid of an assistant immediately place the applique on the tailgate and seat the attaching clips.
NOTE: DO NOT REMOVE TAPE BACKING UNTIL THE APPLIQUE IS READY TO BE INSTALLED.
- Use a hand roller to firmly wet-out the tape around the perimeter of the applique.
- Place a 38 mm x 89 x mm x 2.13 m (2″ x 4″ x 84″) common whitewood stud along the top edge of the applique. Secure the lumber on each side of the tailgate using locking C-clamp pliers with swivel pads. When clamped properly the lumber will form to the contour of the applique. (Figures 5 and 6)
Figure 5 – Article 11-4-11
Figure 6 – Article 11-4-11
NOTE: THE C CLAMPS SHOULD BE ORIENTED AS IN FIGURE 6 TO ACHIEVE PROPER CLAMPING FORCE. NOTE: IF THE WHITEWOOD STUD BEING USED IS SLIGHTLY BOWED, UTILIZE THE HIGH END DOWN AGAINST THE APPLIQUÃ‰ TO ACHIEVE PROPER CLAMPING FORCE.
- Place a second stud along the bottom section of the applique, attaching in the same fashion.
- Allow the applique to remain clamped for a minimum of 4 hours.
NOTE: A MINIMUM OF 4 HOURS OF CLAMP TIME IS REQUIRED TO PROPERLY SET THE ADHESIVE TO THE TAILGATE SHEET METAL.
- Remove the clamps and whitewood studs and reinstall the tailgate release handle. Refer to WSM 501-14, Section.
- Reinstall the tailgate.
- If equipped, reinstall the rear video camera. Refer to WSM, Section 413-13.
Outside Parts Part Number Part Description 3Mâ„¢ 08983 Prep Solvent-70, 1 Gallon 3Mâ„¢ 08978 Side Molding and Emblem Removal Tool 3Mâ„¢ 38983 General Purpose Adhesive Remover (Low VOC Compliant ) 3Mâ„¢ 08984 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 3Mâ„¢ 38984 Specialty Adhesive Remover, 1 quart (Low VOC Compliant ) 3Mâ„¢ 06384 Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape Black 1/2″ X 5 yards, 45 mil 3Mâ„¢ 08214 Duramix Universal Adhesive 3Mâ„¢ 07499 Stripe Off Wheel, 4″, Fine Grade 3Mâ„¢ 06657 Automotive Refinish Masking Tape, 72 mm width Lumber 38 mm x 89 x mm x 2.13 m (2″ x 4″ x 84″) (2 Req)