Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 20, 2010|
This article supersedes TSB 10-22-11 to update the vehicle model year.
Some 2010 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L engine, 6R80 transmission and built on or before 12/1/2009 may exhibit a shudder which is felt during low speed, light throttle acceleration between 25-45 MPH (40-72 Km/h). The shudder/vibration event typically occurs when the vehicle downshifts and is followed by a light throttle tip-in. A new calibration is available to address the concern.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the concern.
- Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/Transmission Control Module (TCM) calibration using IDS release 69.06 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
- Clear TCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
- Open Toolbox
- Select Powertrain
- Select Reset KAM
- Select TCM
- It is critical that TCM KAM be cleared for this procedure to be fully effective.
- Disconnecting the battery will not clear the TCM KAM. It is critical that TCM KAM be cleared prior to relearning the adaptive tables for the transmission.
- Do not clear the PCM KAM.
- Verify Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C).
- If not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature. TFT must be at 175 °F (80 °C) or above before proceeding to Step 4.
- Perform adaptive shift strategy learn on level surface road. Drive vehicle to perform adaptive shift strategy learn as follows:
- Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h) and remove foot from accelerator pedal.
- Brake very gently, bringing vehicle to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
- Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
- Accelerate from a stopped position with light throttle, ensuring the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.
- Continue to accelerate to 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
- Brake gently, bringing vehicle to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for ten (10) seconds.
- Repeat steps (d-f) three (3) times. Advise customer that several days of driving may be required for the transmission to fully adapt.
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|102513A||2010 F-150 4.6L Engine, 6R80 Transmission: Reprogram The PCM And TCM, Includes Time To Clear TCM KAM And Perform Road Tests (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operation)||1.0 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.
Copyright © 2010 Ford Motor Company