Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: November 18, 2005|
|2006 Mark LT|
This article supersedes TSB 04-20-3 to update the model years, vehicle applications and service procedure.
Some 2004-2006 F-150 and 2006 Lincoln Mark LT vehicles, equipped with a power sliding rear window, may exhibit a rattle/chatter or squeak/chirp/creak noise from the back glass while driving.
If the condition is a rattle or chatter noise from the rear of the cab, and usually occurs while driving over bumps refer to Procedure “A”. If the condition is a squeak, chirp, or creaking noise refer to Procedure “B”.
The rattle or chatter condition may be due to excessive clearance between the center sliding glass and the back glass window runs. To service, apply felt tape, or similar material from the Rotunda Squeak And Rattle Kit (164-R4900), on the center sliding glass where it slides in the upper run channel. This will reduce the clearance between the center sliding glass and the upper run channel to resolve the rattle/chatter condition. Additionally, on 2004 MY ONLY, replace the upper run channel.
- Remove upper run channel by pulling down and outward from the driver’s side of the vehicle (Figure 1, View A). A small pick or a pair of needle nose pliers may be helpful.
- Remove the seat back, refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 501-10.
- Remove the child safety tether anchor.
- Lift out center glass and remove from lower run tray.
- Apply a 1/4″ (6 mm) wide strip of felt tape along the entire upper front and back edges of the center glass.
NOTE: MINIMIZE THE AMOUNT OF TAPE USED TO MAINTAIN A NEAT APPEARANCE.
- Reinstall the center glass, child safety tether anchor, seat back, and upper run channel.
- On 2004 MY ONLY, replace the existing upper run channel with new channel (4L3Z-15422A36-AB), which contains a molded in center stop spring tensioner.
- On 2005-2006 MY vehicle, reuse all original parts. These vehicles are already equipped with the new upper run channel design.
- Verify the rattle is resolved by tapping moderately on the center sliding glass with the palm of the hand.
- Open and close the center glass several times to ensure proper operation.
Figure 1 – Article 05-24-3
This condition may be due to the exterior trim molding around the outside of the back glass rubbing against the paint of the vehicle. The noise may be temporarily resolved by applying outward pressure on the back glass assembly.
- Using a plastic wedge, lift the lip of the exterior trim molding.
- Apply a small amount of Krytox Grease (164-R4906) from the Rotunda Squeak And Rattle Kit (164-R4900) with a plastic spatula, squeegee or other suitable tool.
- Check visible surfaces for any excess Krytox Grease and wipe off.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|4L3Z-15422A36-AB||Upper Window Channel|
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|052403A||2004-2006 F150, 2006 Mark LT With Power Sliding Rear Window: Install Felt Tape On The Sliding Glass Operation||0.9 Hr.|
|052403B||2004-2006 F150, 2006 Mark LT With Power Sliding Rear Window: Apply Krytox Grease Under The Lip Of The Exterior Trim Molding||0.6 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|