Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: March 25, 2003|
|2002-2003 EXPEDITION, F-150|
Some 2002-2003 Expedition/Navigator, F-Series and F-Series SuperCrew vehicles equipped with a Roof Opening Panel may exhibit a water leak in the front corner(s) of the headliner near the “A” pillar. This may be due to water leaking from the front rail into the inner channel of the Roof Opening Panel tracks, and out of the interface between the tracks and the plastic front rail.
Grind down the front rail until it is at track level, and add sealant to close the gap between the front rail and the track. Perform this procedure on both sides. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Remove the Roof Opening Panel frame from the vehicle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 501-17 for removal instructions.
- Remove the two screws that hold the air deflector straps to the front rail.
- Lift the deflector and move it rearward away from the front rail.
- Using a die grinder with a barrel or cone-shaped attachment, grind down the front rail on both sides until it is flush (at the same level) with the tracks. Refer to Figure 1. Dust off grindings.
- Move the deflector strap forward back into place, reinstall the two screws, and tighten the screws to 8.8 lb-in. (1 N-m).
- Turn the Roof Opening Panel frame over. On the underside of the Roof Opening Panel frame, where the front rail and the tracks join on each side, there is a gap (Figure 2). Apply a piece of body tape to cover the gap on each side on the underside of the Roof Opening Panel.
- On the top of the Roof Opening Panel, apply Ford Silicone Gasket and Sealant, F7AZ-19554-EA to both side gaps (Figure 3). Use a suitable tool to spread the material flat, closing the gaps. Allow the material to fully cure.
NOTE: TEST FOR WATER LEAKS BEFORE REINSTALLING HEADLINER.
- Install the Roof Opening Panel frame back into the vehicle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 501-17 for installation instructions.
- Cycle test the Roof Opening Panel through the vent and full open positions to check for proper operation.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F7AZ-19554-EA||Ford Silicone Gasket and Sealant|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|030701A||Grind Down The Front Of Both Rails And Add Sealant (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headliner And Roof Opening Panel Frame) – F-150 Super Cab||1.6 Hrs.|
|030701B||Grind Down The Front Of Both Rails And Add Sealant (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headliner And Roof Opening Panel Frame) – F-150 SuperCrew||2.4 Hrs.|
|030701C||Grind Down The Front Of Both Rails And Add Sealant (Includes Time To Remove And Install Headliner And Roof Opening Panel Frame) – Expedition, Navigator||2.8 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
102000, 105000, 108000, 110000
Figure 1 – Article 03-7-1
Figure 2 – Article 03-7-1
Figure 3 – Article 03-7-1
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright ¬© 2003 Ford Motor Company