Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: November 10, 2003|
|2001-2004 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, F-150, RANGER|
If service should become necessary on a bed extender, separate components are available which enable repairs without replacement of the entire unit. Replacing the entire bed extender assembly, when it is only necessary to replace the affected component(s), is considered an over repair.
Prior to replacing an entire bed extender assembly, examine it closely and determine if repairs can be made utilizing the components and replacement instructions listed in this TSB. Determine also whether the complaint condition may be the result of an impact or customer abuse, as repairs for these reasons may not be covered under warranty. Refer to the following service procedures.
|NOTE:||THE ATTACHED ILLUSTRATION (FIGURE 1) SHOWS THE BED EXTENDER IN ITS DEPLOYED POSITION EXTENDED OVER THE TAILGATE. REFERENCES TO ”UPPER OR LOWER”, IN THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES RELATE TO THE BED EXTENDER IN THE DEPLOYED POSITION.|
The service procedures below relate to the illustration part identification and the item list of Ford service parts.
BED EXTENDER PIN LOCK ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
- Remove bed extender from vehicle.
- Remove metal nut that retains the pin assembly to the upper tube support.
- Slide pin assembly out of tube support.
- Install new pin assembly to upper tube support.
- Install retaining nut and torque to 3-4 N-m (26-35 lb-in).
- Reinstall bed extender.
BED EXTENDER SUPPORT & BRACKET TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
- Remove bed extender from vehicle.
- Remove three (3) tube caps from stainless tubes on side of issue. Save for reinstallation, Step 7.
- Remove pin assembly by removing metal nut.
- Remove two (2) screws attaching support to tubes.
- Use soft hammer to tap support off tubes.
- Slide new support over tubes, use soft hammer if needed.
- Reinstall tube caps.
- Note position of latching side of support, must face the pivot pin.
- Attach new support with two (2) screws and nuts, torque to 4-5 N-m (35-44 lb-in).
- Insert pin assembly through upper support hole.
- Attach to support with metal nut torque to 3-4 N-m (26-35 lb-in).
BED EXTENDER RUBBER BUMPER REPLACEMENT
- Remove the four (4) screws that attach the tube support using T-25 Torx driver.
- Note bumper position (facing up or down with extender deployed).
- Separate the two (2) halves of the support and remove bumper.
- Insert new bumper into cavity formed by the two (2) support halves.
- Position the two (2) halves onto the tube with new bumper trapped by supports.
- Install support halves to the tube with screws and nuts.
- Torque for screws is 4-5 N-m (35-44 lb-in).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|1L5Z-99286B26-AA||PIN-LOCKING (Sport Trac)|
|1L3Z-84286B26-AA||PIN-LOCKING (F-150 & Ranger)|
|1L5Z-99286B24-AA||SUPPORT (F-150 & Sport Trac)|
|1L5Z-99286B27-AA||BUMPER (Sport Trac & Ranger)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
|032305A||Replace Lock Pin(S) (Includes Time To Remove And Install Bed Extender)||0.2 Hr.|
|032305B||Replace Support and Bracket Assembly (One Side) (Includes Time To Remove And Install Bed Extender And Replace Pin Assembly If Necessary)||0.3 Hr.|
|032305C||Replace Support and Bracket Assemblies (Both Sides) (Includes Time To Remove And Install Bed Extender And Replace Pin Assembly If Necessary)||0.4 Hr.|
|032305D||Replace Rubber Bumpers (Any Two)||0.3 Hr.|
|032305E||Replace Rubber Bumpers (All)||0.5 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 03-23-5
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2003 Ford Motor Company