Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: December 5, 2002|
2001-2003 EXCURSION, EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, EXPLORER SPORT, EXPLORER, F-150, RANGER, SUPER DUTY F SERIES, WINDSTAR
2002-2003 E SERIES, EXPEDITION
The Compact Disc mechanism in CDX6 radio units may become damaged during shipment from the dealer to the radio repair center. To ensure that unnecessary damage does not occur, the Shipping Bracket must be installed prior to shipping.
Use the following Service Procedure to correctly prepare the CDX6 radio for shipment to the radio repair center.
Before removing the radio from the vehicle, the following procedure must be performed:
- Turn on the radio unit.
- Remove any CDs from the unit.
- Keep radio on and depress and Hold the “SCAN” & “1” station preset buttons together. Keep buttons depressed until the radio displays “Please Wait” for 2 seconds (Figure 1). Release the buttons.
- The radio will display “In Ship Mode” for 3 seconds. At this point, the radio may now be removed from the vehicle (Figure 2).
NOTE: IF THE RADIO WILL NOT ENTER SHIP MODE THERE MAY BE CDs STUCK IN THE UNIT. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE OR DAMAGE MAY RESULT. MAKE NOTE THAT THE RADIO WILL NOT ENTER SHIP MODE ON THE 1878 FORM.
- Obtain a Shipping Bracket to install in the radio. If unavailable at the dealer, your local Radio Repair Center will be able to supply. If using an Advance Exchange Unit, remove the Shipping Bracket from the exchange radio and install in the radio being sent in for service.
- Install the Shipping Bracket into the top of the radio. The Shipping Bracket will support the CD mechanism ensuring unnecessary damage will not occur during transportation (Figure 3).
NOTE: THE SHIPPING BRACKET SHOULD EASILY SLIP INTO THE RADIO. DAMAGE WILL RESULT IF THE SHIPPING BRACKET IS FORCED INTO THE RADIO. MAKE NOTE THAT THE SHIPPING BRACKET COULD NOT BE INSTALLED INTO THE RADIO ON THE 1878 FORM.
- Radio Repair Center information is located in the chart at the end of this article (Figure 4). In addition, your closest QS9000 Distributor can be found at the following website: www.evisteon.com. Select “Authorized Visteon Distributor” at the bottom of the page. Enter your zip code and submit to find the closet Visteon Authorized QS9000 Distributor.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Figure 1 – Article 02-25-2
Figure 2 – Article 02-25-2
Figure 3 – Article 02-25-2
Figure 4 – Article 02-25-2
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company