Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: AUGUST 6, 2002|
|2002-2003 CROWN VICTORIA, ESCORT, FOCUS, TAURUS, ESCAPE, EXCURSION, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, EXPLORER SPORT, EXPLORER, F-150, RANGER, SUPER DUTY F SERIES, F-650, F-750|
|2002-2003 LS, TOWN CAR, NAVIGATOR|
|2002-2003 GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE, MOUNTAINEER|
Vehicles that have small scratches, mars, dirt, and scuff marks found during pre-delivery or reconditioning may be repaired without repainting using new Motorcraft polishing products. These products may also be used effectively for collision damage repairs.
Read this TSB in its entirety BEFORE beginning any repairs. Repair as outlined in the following Service Procedures.
The OEM paint system has changed significantly in the last 18 months. Previous paint systems required a number days to be fully cured. The OEM paint system used today cures faster and is also much harder. The hardness of the OEM system is similar to the hardness of current Refinish paint system and as a result, a new polishing system is necessary. These products have been tested on all Ford Motor Company OEM paint finishes and all Major Refinish paint brands. The system has significantly better results than all other products tested for OEM and Refinish paint systems.
|NOTE:||THE USE OF FORD OR MOTORCRAFT BRAND PRODUCTS IS MANDATORY ON ALL REPAIR CLAIMS PAID BY FORD UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN EMISSIONS, FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAMS, TSB’S OR OTHER COMPANY PUBLICATIONS. THE COST OF NON-FORD/MOTORCRAFT PRODUCTS USED FOR A WARRANTY OR ESP/ESC, OR AWA REPAIR WITHOUT JUSTIFYING THEIR USE, (I.E., EMERGENCY REPAIR) IS NOT REIMBURSABLE. EXAMPLES OF FORD PRODUCTS ARE: ADHESIVES, SEALERS, SOLVENTS, CLEANERS, WASHES, AND OTHER SPECIAL PRODUCTS LISTED IN THE FORD CAR CARE PRODUCTS MANUAL.|
- Make sure the area to be polished is clean and free of paint sealants and waxes.
- To remove dirt nibs, runs, or sags, sand the surface with a D.A. sander or by hand with P1500 grit sandpaper.
- Apply the Motorcraft ZC-39-B backing pad to dual action sander.
- Apply the Motorcraft polishing disc (ZC-39-A kit) to the D.A. sander.
NOTE: MAKE SURE THE POLISHING DISC IS CENTERED EXACTLY ON THE BACKING PAD, OR “WILD SCRATCHES” MAY OCCUR.
- Dampen the polishing disc with water from a spray bottle before use.
- Damp polish the repair area until the dirt, mar, etc. has been removed. The surface should now be semi-polished.
NOTE: IF THE IMPERFECTION CANNOT BE REMOVED WITH THE POLISHING DISC, HAND SAND WITH FINE SAND PAPER IN A STEP PROCESS (I.E. 600 GRIT, 1200 GRIT, 1500 GRIT). THE POLISHING DISC WILL ONLY REMOVE 1500 GRIT SCRATCHES AND HIGHER.
- To remove the sand scratches and also remove swirl marks, install a foam-polishing pad onto a buffer.
- Apply a small amount of the Motorcraft Finish Enhancement Compound on the foam pad for the first time of pad use. Do not use a wool pad with this product.
- Move the pad around in a 2 foot area to spread out the material, then start up the buffer. Recommended speed is 1750 rpm. Apply medium pressure and let the polisher do the work. Verify the imperfection has been removed. If not, repeat Step 9 until complete.
- Wipe the repair area with a detailing cloth to complete the repair.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|ZC-39-A||Motorcraft Finish Enhancement Compound Kit (Includes polishing disc and finish compound)|
|ZC-39-B||Motorcraft Finish Enhancement Compound Backing Pad|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Copyright © 2002 Ford Motor Company