Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 18, 1998|
|1997-1998 F-150, F-250 LD|
Depressions or “sinks” may appear in SuperCab roofs just rearward of the front doors. The depression is normally visible while standing in the bed of the unit. This may have been caused by the SuperCab roof bow bracket being twisted when welded in place, leaving a gap larger than 7mm between the roof and bow. The roof “sink” does not appear until after the vehicle comes out of the paint ovens when the roof boom sealer contracts and pulls the roof panel down to the roof bow bracket forming the depression.
Repair the roof depression. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||THIS REPAIR, IF FOLLOWED THOROUGHLY, WILL RESOLVE THE CONCERN WITHOUT HAVING TO REPAINT.|
- Remove the headliner. Refer to the appropriate F-150/250 Workshop Manual, Page 501-05-05.
- Locate depression area above roof bow.
- Using a heated putty knife/windshield “hot knife” or rope saw, carefully remove the adhesive between the roof panel and the roof bow bracket (Figure 1).
- Examine the roof panel and verify all of the depression is eliminated.
- If smaller depression remains, use a wood or plastic wedge and position in roof ditch above roof bow bracket (Figure 2).
- Carefully impact/hammer the lower portion of the roof ditch toward the depression. This will reposition the roof bow bracket relieving the stress on the roof panel which will eliminate the depression.
- Apply a bead of Non-Ridged Foam Mastic Sealer between the roof panel and roof bow where the rope adhesive was removed. The above mastic/sealer is locally available through 3M, Dominion SureSeal, and Lord, Inc.
- Install the headliner and trim per the Workshop Manual, Page 501-05-05.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|982606A||Repair Roof Depression||1.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 98-26-6
Figure 2 – Article 98-26-6
Copyright © 1998 Ford Motor Company