Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 29, 1998|
1993-1997 PROBE, THUNDERBIRD
1993-1999 CROWN VICTORIA, ESCORT, MUSTANG, TAURUS
|1993-1994 CAPRI, TOPAZ|
1993-1999 CONTINENTAL, COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE, TOWN CAR, TRACER
1993-1997 F SUPER DUTY, F-350
1993-1999 AEROSTAR, ECONOLINE, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD, RANGER
1997-1999 EXPEDITION, MOUNTAINEER, VILLAGER
1999 F-250 HD, SUPER DUTY F SERIES
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include additional vehicles and to include 1999 model year vehicles.
A “buzzing” or “rattling” noise from the exhaust system may be caused by a loose heat shield attachment to the catalytic converter, catalytic pipes, muffler pipes and/or muffler. The noise is noticeable during normal driving conditions or at engine idle.
Install worm clamps to secure loose heat shield attachments. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Inspect for loose shields. If shield(s) is missing, this TSB does not apply. Refer to the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual for repair procedures.
NOTE: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A HEAT SHIELD BE REMOVED WITHOUT REPLACEMENT BEFORE THE VEHICLE IS RETURNED TO THE CUSTOMER.
- Install worm clamps to the catalytic converter, catalytic pipes, muffler pipes or muffler as shown in Figure 1 for the typical light truck and Figure 2 for the typical passenger car.
Figure 1 – Article 98-20-10
Figure 2 – Article 98-20-10
- Align the clamps to secure the heat shield to the catalytic converter, catalytic pipes, muffler pipes or muffler as required.
- Tighten the clamps to 6.8 N-m (60 lb-in).
- Trim the excess “ear” of the clamp to approximately 2.54 cm (1″).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|FOTZ-5A231-A||Worm Clamp (4-1/2″ To 9-1/2″)|
|W705949-S300||Worm Clamp (3/4″ To 4″)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage For 1991 And Prior Models, Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage For 1992-99 Models, And Any Applicable Emissions Warranty Coverage
|982010A||Install One (1), Two (2), Or Four (4) Worm Clamps||0.3 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
403000, 702000, 702100, 702200, 703000
Copyright © 1998 Ford Motor Company