Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: DECEMBER 8, 1997|
|1997-1998 ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
The roller finger followers may become dislodged and end up loose in the cylinder head during ambient temperatures of less than -18°C (0°F). This may result in damage to the camshaft, roller finger follower, valve, retainer, valve guide, etc.
Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Check compression of all cylinders.
- Remove cam cover from the affected side of the engine which showed low compression readings. Look for a follower that has become dislodged and examine all components for damage (i.e., camshaft, valve, follower, etc.).
- If damage is found, contact the engine plant Hotline at the numbers listed in this article.
- If no damage is found, remove all followers from the engine (both sides) and compare to Figure 1 to determine their revision level.
Figure 1 – Article 97-25-8
- If they are the new revision, contact the engine plant Hotline at the numbers listed in this article. If they are the old revision level, replace all followers with new level Followers (F8AZ-6564-AA).
- Recheck compression of all cylinders to verify proper valve train operation.
- If compression is within specifications, reinstall the cam covers and any other engine components removed.
- If the compression is still unacceptable, contact the engine plant Hotline at the numbers listed in this article.
Engine plant telephone numbers:
- Windsor Engine – (800) 465-4680
- Romeo Engine – (800) 833-4503
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F8AZ-6564-AA||Roller Tip Follower|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
|972508A||Compression Test – All Models||1.0 Hr.|
|972508B||Replace Followers – F-Series, Expedition (4.6L MFI, 5.4L MFI)||3.8 Hrs.|
|972508C||Replace Followers – Navigator (5.4L MFI)||3.8 Hrs.|
|972508D||Replace Followers – Econoline (4.6L MFI)||5.6 Hrs.|
|972508E||Replace Followers – Econoline (5.4L MFI)||5.4 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
499000, 608000, 609000, 610000, 614000, 698298
Copyright © 1997 Ford Motor Company