Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: MAY 12, 1997|
|1997 EXPEDITION, F-150, F-250 LD|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the Front Axle Vent part number.
Axle lubricant may leak from the front axle tube vent hose on some vehicles. The vent hose is located close to the axle shaft, and as axle temperatures rise, the lubricant may be forced out through the vent hose.
Install new Front Axle Tube Assembly with relocated vent port. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
- Install new Front Axle Tube Assembly (F75Z-4K206-AA) with revised port location (Figure 1). Refer to the 1997 Expedition Workshop Manual, Volume I, Page 205-03-40, for front axle tube assembly removal and assembly procedures.
Figure 1 – Article 97-10-10
NOTE: IF THE NEW TUBE ASSEMBLY IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH A VENT (SOME WERE SHIPPED WITHOUT VENTS), INSTALL NEW VENT (F65Z-4022-AA) AND TIGHTEN TO 18-26 N-m (13-19 LB-FT).
- Cut a 95mm (3.75″) length of Hose (F75Z-4A058-AA) and attach to the axle tube assembly vent (Figure 2).
Figure 2 – Article 97-10-10
NOTE: TWO (2) VENTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THIS REPAIR: ONE FOR THE AXLE TUBE IF NOT EQUIPPED, AND THE OTHER TO BE USED AS A CONNECTOR BETWEEN THE NEWLY CUT HOSE AND EXISTING VENT HOSE.
- Insert the threaded end of the second vent into the open end of the 95mm (3.75″) hose.
- Connect the existing vent hose to the 95mm (3.75″) hose.
- Check the axle tube for leaks after axle installation.
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|F75Z-4K206-AA||Front Axle Tube Assembly|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|971010A||Replace Tube Assembly (Includes Time To Install Vent If Required)||2.0 Hrs.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|