Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 6, 2003|
|1994-1995 F SUPER DUTY, F-250, F-350|
Article 97-11-18 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.
Some vehicles may exhibit a lack of power and/or low performance condition, caused by no return fuel flow to the fuel tank. This condition can be identified while performing the “Air in the Fuel System” test from the Performance Diagnostic Sheet. This is due to a restricted orifice or clogged strainer screen. This TSB article does not apply to 1996 and later vehicles.
Remove the fuel pressure regulator assembly to inspect the return orifice and strainer screen for debris. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
Refer to Figure 1.
- Remove fuel filter cap and filter element.
- Disconnect the two (2) flexible return fuel hose fittings, fuel bypass hose, and two (2) attaching bolts.
- Remove regulator assembly from fuel filter housing, taking care not to damage O-ring which will be used for reinstallation.
- Unscrew strainer assembly from regulator.
- Remove orifice and check ball from regulator.
- Inspect orifice screen (which may remain in filter housing where regulator was removed), orifice, check ball and strainer screen for debris.
- Clean any contamination from parts using disc brake cleaner.
- Reassemble all components and verify return fuel flow is now present.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Figure 1 – Article 03-21-27
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle.
Copyright Â© 2003 Ford Motor Company