Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: NOVEMBER 6, 2000|
1980-2001 CROWN VICTORIA
1985-1990 BRONCO II
1989-1997 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD
1989-2001 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250 LD, F-350, F-450
1999-2001 F-250 HD, SUPER DUTY F SERIES
|1982-2001 TOWN CAR|
|1980-2001 GRAND MARQUIS|
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update model applications and model years.
Contamination from prior transmission concerns or excess wear may be trapped in the transmission fluid cooling system. This debris must be removed by properly cleaning the transmission cooling system. After cleaning, some contamination may still remain. The remaining contamination may be reintroduced into the fluid cooling system of a repaired/replaced transmission causing premature or repeat failures.
After every overhaul or transmission exchange, clean, flush and backflush the transmission fluid cooling system which includes: fluid cooler, auxiliary cooler, cooler lines, and Cooler Bypass Valve (CBV), if equipped. Perform the cooler flow test to ensure proper transmission fluid flow volume on the transmission return line through the cooling system. Once proper fluid flow volume is verified install the Transmission Fluid In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA) in the fluid cooler return line (transmission fluid flow coming out of the fluid cooler going into the transmission). Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
|NOTE:||THIS IN-LINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER KIT CAN BE INSTALLED ON ALL TRANSMISSIONS WITH 8mm (5/16″) AND 9.5mm (3/8″) TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER LINES.|
|NOTE:||THIS IN-LINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER KIT WILL ALSO BE SUPPLIED WITH ALL E4OD/4R100 AND OTHER FORD QUALITY REMANUFACTURED (FQR) TRANSMISSIONS. AFTER ANY OVERHAUL OR TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE PRIOR TO CONNECTING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLING SYSTEM TO THE TRANSMISSION, FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW.|
- Clean, flush and backflush transmission fluid cooling system.
NOTE: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH STAND-ALONE OIL-TO-AIR (OTA) FLUID COOLERS CANNOT BE PROPERLY FLUSHED. ADDITIONALLY, 1998-2001 CROWN VICTORIA/GRAND MARQUIS AND TOWN CAR HAVE OIL-TO-AIR (OTA) FLUID COOLERS EQUIPPED WITH A TERMINAL BY-PASS VALVE. FOR ALL VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH STAND-ALONE OTA COOLERS, THE OTA COOLER MUST BE REPLACED ON EVERY OVERHAUL OR TRANSMISSION EXCHANGE. REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE SERVICE/WORKSHOP MANUAL FOR PROCEDURE.
- Once the fluid cooling system has been cleaned, flushed and backflushed, connect the cooler lines and perform the transmission fluid flow test to ensure proper fluid flow. Refer to the appropriate Service/Workshop Manual for procedure.
- If proper fluid flow volume is not obtained, refer to appropriate Service/Workshop Manual for repair procedure. The transmission fluid coolers, auxiliary cooler, OTA, cooler lines, CBV (if equipped), transmission fluid pump or internal filter may be restricted or damaged and require replacement.
CAUTION: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE KIT INSTRUCTIONS MAY CAUSE INTERNAL TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY DAMAGE AND REPEAT REPAIRS.
- Only after proper transmission fluid flow volume is present, install the Transmission Fluid In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA). Follow the instructions provided with the kit.
- Once the filter is installed:
- With the transmission fluid return line disconnected from the transmission, verify fluid flow through the filter.
- Once the fluid flow in-and-out of the filter is verified, connect the transmission fluid return line to the transmission. Check and adjust proper transmission fluid level to normal operating range at normal operating temperature and check for leaks, kinks and chafe points (refer to the “Do’s and Don’ts” chart in the kit instructions).
NOTE: THE FILTER INCLUDED IN THIS KIT WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE AS A SEPARATE PART (XC3Z-7B155-BA). IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THIS IN-LINE FILTER BE CHANGED EVERY 48,000 KILOMETERS (30,000 MILES).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|XC3Z-7B155-AA||Transmission Fluid In-Line Filter Kit (Complete)|
|XC3Z-7B155-BA||In-Line Filter Only (Separate)|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
|002310AB||Perform Flow Test And Install In-Line Fluid Filter||0.7 Hr.|
|002310A||Additional Time To Retest Fluid Flow Before Installing In-Line Filter (To Be Used Only After Additional Repairs Are Performed)||0.3 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
501000, 502000, 503000, 504000, 507000, 510000, 590000, 597997
Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company