Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: September 9, 2009|
|2008 F-Super Duty|
This article supersedes TSB 9-16-7 to update the Customer Information Sheet.
Some 2008 F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engines and built between 1/3/2008 and 9/15/2008 may require a calibration update which will cover several different concerns.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS – EXHAUST SYSTEM REGENERATION
This document provides additional information on the conditions of normal operation while the vehicle is in the exhaust filter regeneration process. These are normal conditions and do not require repair. For most driving conditions, normal exhaust filter regeneration will begin anywhere from 100-600 miles (161-966 km) from the completion of the last regeneration cycle. Each occurrence will last from 10-40 minutes.
The exhaust filter regeneration process will not initiate or may be terminated when:
- The vehicle is stopped at idle for more than 5 minutes in gear.
- The vehicle is operated in Power Take Off (PTO) mode.
- Stationary Elevated Idle Control (SEIC) is engaged.
- The gear selector is placed in Park or Neutral.
Vehicle characteristics change during the exhaust filter regeneration process:
- Some white smoke in cold ambient temperatures is normal. The amount of white smoke during this time will be increased during exhaust filter regeneration.
- The engine's peak power is modestly limited during regeneration.
- Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation during regeneration.
- Exhaust smell may be noticed during the exhaust filter regeneration process – especially on new vehicles.
- The powertrain sound will be different during exhaust filter regeneration including air induction noise, combustion noise, flutter on deceleration or shut down.
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration before performing diagnostics and clear all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) after programming. For DTC's generated after reprogramming, follow normal diagnostic service procedures.
Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) release 61.19 and higher or 62.07 and higher. When reprogramming the PCM on automatic transmission equipped vehicles the Transmission Control Module (TCM) will also automatically be reprogrammed to the latest level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.7 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Please print out the customer information sheet attached to this TSB and insert into the glove box with the Owners Guide for future customer reference.
|NOTE:||REPROGRAMMING CONCERNS / ERRORS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE DATA LINK CONNECTOR (DLC) OR VEHICLE COMMUNICATION MODULE (VCM) BECOMING DISCONNECTED, LOW BATTERIES ON THE IDS OR THE IDS GOING INTO ANY TYPE OF SLEEP MODE, OR LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE. TO PREVENT VEHICLE BATTERY DISCHARGE DURING REPROGRAMMING A POWER SUPPLY CHARGER, ROTUNDA NUMBER 162-00043 OR EQUIVALENT, SHOULD BE USED. IF THERE WAS AN INTERRUPTION DURING REPROGRAMMING, MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL IDS SESSION THAT WAS CREATED FOR THE VEHICLE IS NOT DELETED. IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE SESSION IS NOT USED OR DELETED BEFORE THE MODULES ARE COMPLETELY REPROGRAMMED, FURTHER REPROGRAMMING ERRORS CAN OCCUR. THE MODULE RECOVERY PROCEDURE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AND IT IS CRITICAL THAT MODULE SWAPPING IS NOT PERFORMED FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE. TO REGAIN COMMUNICATION WITH A MODULE THAT HAS BEEN ERASED DURING REPROGRAMMING, RESUME THE ORIGINAL SESSION ONCE THE IDS IS RE-BOOTED.|
Calibration Update Includes:
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration will not initiate at idle or in power take off (PTO) mode. When Drive To Clean Exhaust Filter is displayed in the message center, PTO and/or stationary elevated idle control (SEIC) must be disengaged / inactive in order to properly clean the DPF. The vehicle must be driven until the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message is extinguished.
- Diagnostic and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) operation improvements for DTCs P0128, P0196, P2002, P006B, P2563, P0108, P0234, P1260, U0073, P042E, P042F, P0404, P1335, P041C, P2457 and P2263 set during key on engine running (KOER) self test.
- Calibration improvements for DTCs P246C and P2463 only apply to PTO equipped vehicles and vehicles that utilize SEIC.
- Improved cold start drivability for vehicles operated in temperatures below 32 Â°F (0 Â°C).
- Revised Pressure Control Valve (PCV) / Volume Control Valve (VCV) learning tables for vehicles that exhibit DTCs P0087 and/or P2291 following replacement of the High Pressure Pump or major fuel system repairs. Reset the PCV/VCV learning tables and fuel injector parameters with IDS using the clear Fuel Injector parameters.
- Enhancements for vehicles that exhibit white smoke during diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration at ambient temperatures below 55 Â°F (13 Â°C).
- Improvements to reduce P0544, P2031, P242A, P242B, P2080, P2084 and P117B set on long decelerations after cold start.
- Resolution for vehicles that exhibit a no crank condition, Failure Mode Effects Management (FMEM) continuous timer count down due to Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor disconnect while performing system diagnostics or vehicle battery disconnect.
- IDS tool updates for DPF manual regeneration diagnostic testing referenced in Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Pinpoint Test RB.
This calibration also includes the following instrument cluster (IC) message center display updates: Drive To Clean Exhaust Filter, Cleaning Exhaust Filter and Exhaust Filter Drive Complete. Please see the Customer Information Sheet for additional information. (Figure 1)
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|091815A||2008 F-Super Duty Automatic Transmission: Reprogram The PCM/TCM/IC (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.5 Hr.|
|091815B||2008 F-Super Duty Manual Transmission: Reprogram The PCM/IC (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|
Figure 1 – Article 09-18-15