Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: January 10, 2003|
|2003 EXCURSION, SUPER DUTY F SERIES|
Some 2003 F250-550 Super Duty and Excursion vehicles equipped with a 6.0L Powerstroke engine, may exhibit a difficult to remove or replace air filter assembly during service.
The following procedure has been provided to assist with air filter removal or installation during service.
- Release 4 toggle clamps located on top of assembly (Figure 1).
- Lift inlet slightly, enough to disengage the 2 tabs on the bottom of the inlet cover from the 2 windows on bottom of the filter inlet, and push it forward toward front of vehicle as shown in Figure 2 and Figure 3.
NOTE: THE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE INLET BELL MOUTH AND THE GOR (GRILL OPENING REINFORCEMENT) VARIES BETWEEN VEHICLES. IN THIS STEP, JUST ENOUGH CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE INLET COVER AND THE FILTERS 2 INLET WINDOWS IS NEEDED SO THE FILTER DOES NOT GET HUNG ON THE INLET.
- Separate the outlet cover from the filter by pushing on top of cover as shown in Figure 4.
NOTE: COVER SHOULD BE AT APPROXIMATELY 15 DEGREES FROM FILTER, AND VISIBLE GAP ONLY AT THE TOP, AS THE TABS ARE STILL ENGAGED AT THE BOTTOM.
- Pull outlet cover up enough to disengage the 2 tabs on the outlet cover and the filters 2 windows located at the bottom of the clean side. At this step, the MAFS may contact the degas bottle while pulling the cover up but this should not create a problem. Push cover slightly away from filter and down as in Figure 5.
- Pull filter upward to disengage its 2 legs from grommets (Figure 6). It is easiest to rock the filter forward/aft while pulling it up.
- Use the guide on the filter to align its legs to the grommet during its installation as shown in Figure 7, making sure filter is fully seated on the cradle.
- Attach inlet cover to filter using the 2 clamps on inlet side, making sure that tabs are seated inside the windows (Figure 8).
- This step my require some effort/force to assemble the cover to the filter. Pull cover up, and bring it at an angle to attach the 2 tabs to the 2 windows at the bottom of the clean side as shown in Figure 9 and Figure 10. In the next step, make sure clamps are out of the way and do not interfere with the seal.
- Bring top of cover toward the filter using both hands as shown in Figure 11. You will encounter some resistance but should press firmly. Attach the inboard clamp first while holding pressure on cover, and then attach outboard clamp.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
404000, 490000, 499000
Figure 1 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 2 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 3 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 4 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 5 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 6 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 7 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 8 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 9 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 10 – Article 03-1-9
Figure 11 – Article 03-1-9