Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: October 7, 2003|
Article 02-9-4 is being republished in its entirety as part of a consolidated 7.3L diagnostic aid booklet.
Some vehicles equipped with the 7.3L Diesel engine, may exhibit a no crank condition or exhibit excessive noise when cranking. This may be due to starter motor gear damage. At times the gear teeth may be broken and do not engage the flywheel.
Verify condition. Replace the starter motor with a new design starter motor. Refer to the following Service Information for details.
Some 1999-2001 F-450 vehicles equipped with a 7.3L Diesel engine may exhibit a no crank condition or noise while trying to start the engine coming from the flywheel area. To correct, replace the starter motor with Service Part Number 2C3Z-11002-AARM. For 1999 model year trucks, also replace the Starter Motor Harness 2C3Z-14300-CA, due to the original starter motor harness will not fit the new Service Replacement Starter. If the flywheel is damaged, replace with Part Number 1C3Z-6375-AA.
Starter Motor Harness Removal
- Remove the starter motor harness terminals from battery (-) and (+) post.
- Remove the retainers from the radiator support and engine block stud.
- Remove the retainer nut from the engine mount.
- Remove the nuts (B+ and S) from the starter motor solenoid.
Installation Of The Starter Motor Harness
- Insert starter motor harness large eyelet onto top solenoid stud (B+) and tighten the nut to 12.0 +/- 1.8 N-m (106 +/- 16 Lb-in).
- Insert starter motor harness small eyelet onto lower solenoid stud (S) and tighten the nut to 3.2 +/- 0.5 N-m (28 +/- 4 Lb-in).
- Align and seat the starter motor harness retainer to engine mount.
- Route the starter motor harness under engine mount toward front of engine.
- Tighten the metal retainer nut 30.0 +/- 4.5 N-m (22 +/- 3 Lb-ft) to engine block stud.
- Route the starter motor harness up fender well to battery.
- Align and seat two (2) retainers to battery tray.
- Tighten the starter motor harness terminal to battery (B+) post 7.0 +/- 1.1 N-m (62 +/- 10 Lb-in).
- Route the starter motor harness along the radiator support.
- Tighten the starter motor harness terminal to battery (-) post 7.0 +/- 1.1 N-m (62 +/- 10 Lb-in).
|PART NUMBER||PART NAME|
|2C3Z-14300-CA||Starter Motor Wiring Harness|
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: