Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: June 3, 2009|
|2008-2009 F-Super Duty|
Some 2008-2009 F-Super Duty vehicles with a build date before 11/1/2008 may exhibit an exterior door handle assembly which is loose or appears to be broken. The pivot pin that keeps the door handle in place may not be properly seated and/or may back out of position.
Check that the pivot pin is fully seated and retained in the door handle assembly. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- Remove exterior door handle assembly following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-14.
- With exterior door handle removed from vehicle, inspect exterior door handle assembly for pivot pin placement at pin head. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 – Article 09-12-1
- If pin head is above the triangle retention bumps, then repair the handle assembly by inserting pin past the retention bumps. Take care not to damage exterior surface of the door handle. (Figures 2 – 3)
Figure 2 – Article 09-12-1
Figure 3 – Article 09-12-1
- Place door handle assembly on a table, Cycle door handle in bezel to align the holes of the handle with the holes in the bezel.
- Push pivot pin in handle so pin head rests on retention bumps, ensuring proper alignment of handle, bezel, and pin.
- Use a punch or equivalent tool and a hammer to fully seat the pivot pin past the retention bumps, so the pin head bottom rests on the bezel hard stop. The punch needs to be smaller in diameter than the pin head.
- Inspect handle assembly for full insertion of pivot pin. Cycle the handle to ensure operation of handle.
- Install handle assembly to door following WSM, Section 501-14.
It is not necessary to replace door handle assembly unless pivot pin is missing.
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
|091201A||2008-2009 F-Super Duty: Repair One (1) Front Door Handle And This Labor Operation May Be Claimed With Operation C Or D (Do Not Use With 23943A, 23943A7, 27406B, 27406B6)||0.5 Hr.|
|091201B||2008-2009 F-Super Duty: Repair Two (2) Front Door Handles and This Labor Operation May Be Claimed With Operation C Or D (Do Not Use With 23943A, 23943A7, 27406B, 27406B6)||0.8 Hr.|
|091201C||2008-2009 F-Super Duty: Repair One (1) Rear Door Handle And This Labor Operation May Be Claimed With Operation A Or B (Do Not Use With 23943A, 23943A7, 27406B, 27406B6)||0.3 Hr.|
|091201D||2008-2009 F-Super Duty: Repair Two (2) Rear Door Handles And This Labor Operation May Be Claimed With Operation A Or B (Do Not Use With 23943A, 23943A7, 27406B, 27406B6)||0.4 Hr.|
|BASIC PART NO.||CONDITION CODE|