Technical Service Bulletins
|Publication Date: June 20, 2005|
|2005 F-Super Duty|
The Instrument panel in the Harley Davidson edition F-Series uses a 2K clearcoat over a low gloss black basecoat on the face of the instrument panel. Due to the heightened gloss level, scuffs, scratches, and mars may be more visible. Blemishes found on the instrument panel may be repaired without repainting using Motorcraft polishing products.
Read this TSB in its entirety before beginning any repairs. Use only the products listed and the Service Procedure outlined below.
- Ensure the blemished area is clean and free of paint sealants and waxes.
- To remove scratches, scuffs and mars, dampen a Motorcraft-Trizac 3000 grit sanding disc (from ZC-39-A kit) with water from a spray bottle before use. Hand sand “damp” the repair area to remove the blemish. Continue to “damp” sand until the blemish is removed. The surface at this point should now be semi-polished.
- Use a 3″ Dynabrade Model 57126 polisher, or a 3″ hand grinder with a paint regulator valve to regulate air pressure to approximately 20 psi. Install a 3M 05924 finishing backup pad and foam polishing pad onto the equipment.
NOTE: ENSURE THE FOAM POLISHING PAD IS CENTERED EXACTLY ON THE SANDING PAD, OR “WILD SCRATCHES” MAY OCCUR. NOTE: IF THE BLEMISH CANNOT BE REMOVED WITH THE FOAM POLISHING PAD, DAMP SAND BY HAND WITH FINE SAND PAPER IN A STEP PROCESS (I.E. 600 GRIT, 1200 GRIT, 1500 GRIT). THE SANDING DISC WILL ONLY REMOVE 1500 GRIT SCRATCHES AND HIGHER.
- Apply a small amount of the Motorcraft Finish Enhancement Compound (from ZC-39-A kit) on the foam polishing pad for the first time of pad use.
- Move the pad around quickly across the area to spread out the material, then slowly start buffing. Use a slow speed continually reviewing the work area to eliminate heat generation. Verify the blemish has been removed. If not, repeat Steps 4 and 5 until complete.
- Wipe the repair area with a microfiber detailing cloth to complete the repair. Do not use paper towel; it will leave scratches. Haze left behind by the Finish Enhancement Compound can be removed using Motorcraft Custom Clearcoat Polish, ZC-8-A.
NOTE: TO MAINTAIN THE FINISH OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AND CONSOLE, THE HIGH GLOSS AREAS SHOULD BE TREATED SIMILAR TO THE THAT OF EXTERIOR PAINT OR GLOSSY PLASTIC SURFACES. WHEN CLEANING THE HIGH GLOSS AREAS:
- DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS OR NEWSPAPER
- DO NOT USE SILICONE OR TEFLON-BASED PRODUCTS
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
Information Only – Not Warrantable